Scotty

Despite thinking we should be beating Dumbarton we need to acknowledge that their recent results have been good and that they have been hard to beat. However on a difficult surface the boys again answered the question. This is most pleasing aspect of the run caley have been on. The team spirit is good and they are working for each other. Funny time of year for results and hopefully we keep on this upward trajectory. Hope Robbo and all the team and stadium staff have a relaxed and enjoyable xmas. Not been the easiest of times recently and well done to everyone for keeping positive and turning things round??

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I get as frustrated as the next man when Baird fluffs a finish or makes a poor decision - but he's one of those players who's contribution you don't appreciate till he's gone. You don't keep 10 clean sheets in 11 games without defending from the front. Falkirk with Baird - promotion challengers. Falkirk without Baird - relegation fodder. When our front 3 were shipped today we looked a man short for the last 20 minutes against a part time opponent.

• Agree 1

I know that decision-making in the final third was disappointing on numerous occasions today but singling out Polly as having a terrible game seems harsh to me. Today, he had his trademark runs again carrying the ball from midfield as attacks started (he is our most effective player in that role) and he had one or two decent efforts on goal. The disappointment for me was the misunderstanding between midfielders and forwards with some final balls but that is as much their fault as it is his. 

Edited by cif73
Typo
  • Agree 4

18 minutes ago, cif73 said:

I know that decision-making in the final third was disappointing on numerous occasions today but singling out Polly as having a terrible game seems harsh to me. Today, he had his trademark runs again carrying the ball from midfield as attacks started (he is our most effective player in that role) and he had one or two decent efforts on goal. The disappointment for me was the misunderstanding between midfielders and forwards with some final balls but that is as much their fault as it is his. 

I agree with you cif although he seemed to struggle in the second half, I am happy with the 3 points.

I felt we really missed Vigurs in midfield today.  Polworth worked his socks off and whilst he had a couple of decent efforts on goal his weakness were rather apparent today.  He tries to play the telling through ball but too often he delays too long or simply misplaces the pass and loses possession. And for a central midfielder he simply doesn't win enough ball.

Chalmers is generally solid enough.  He gets into space and moves the ball quickly but rarely to any telling effect.  Trafford is much the same although probably a better ball winner.  I think Alex makes an excellent point about defending from the front.  It was often the 3 at the front who nipped in and dispossessed the Dumbarton midfield and prevented attacks developing.  Without that, and in the absence of Vigurs, there would have been  a lot more pressure on our defence.

Our good defensive record recently is a reflection of a great all round team effort and having a very astute manager.  But we do need to create and take more chances if we are to make the play offs.  I thought Mulraney did pretty well in that regard today, he varied his play well, was determined in the tackle and gave a good team performance.  It seemed to me that he tweaked a  muscle in the 2nd half and maybe should have come off sooner.   We need to get a better understanding between the midfield and our front men as there were several instances today when opportunities to create a chance were lost.

Another very commanding performance from Ridgers.  All these clean sheets seem to be giving him and the back four confidence in themselves and each other.  All in all, not the prettiest of games but a very important win and far more positives than negatives.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Listen to what Robbo said about the pitch. His after match comments are always good value, and honest insight into the team. I particularly like his remarks about January signings where he says he has three earmarked, but will only consider players who are better than what we have already. Some very welcome common sense and practical attitude after the last two dreamers.

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, cif73 said:

Would completely agree with that- would have scored more Yesterday with a bit more understanding between the midfield & forwards. Baird puts in plenty effort, with no result...I almost feel sorry for him. Wish he would just score, then go on a scoring run of games but, sadly, can't see it.

For all the critism that others have on here against Polly (& Vigurs too, for that matter), we would soon notice if we didn't have them!

At least we have a solid defence (although I was half expecting an equaliser for Dumbarton Yesterday!), steady progress but nowhere good enough yet.

That game summed us up perfectly. Mostly fine at the back (Donaldson was like a young Franco Baresi at the back as per usual these days) but precious little going forward with almost no link between midfield and forwards. Polworth, Bell and Baird seemed to be on completely different wavelengths to each other and seldom seemed to find each other with their passes leading to numerous attacks breaking down as we reached the edge of the Dumbarton box. Mulraney had a good spell in the first half where he fizzed in a couple of decent looking crosses but I forgot he was even on the pitch in the second half he was so quiet. Hopefully we can get someone in the January transfer window that can provide a creative spark and another who can score goals. A lot of guff still kicking about the squad just now who are just a waste of a wage.

• Agree 1

Love the video.

Our team seems to be playing and trying hard.

I also liked the encouraging applause from the crowd when their efforts didn't quite come off.

A bit disjointed up  front perhaps what with few ICT players attempting to get into the box to intercept the passes about to penetrate from the outer areas.

The pitch didn't seem to be as bad as I had first imagined based on the remarks from John Robertson and others.

Whatever, it's deffo time for Summer football. Anybody like to comment on that?  Would also probably make a significant difference  to the size of the crowd in the stadium. The SFA produced a questionnaire last season(was it?) and I completed it requesting summer football but heard nothing further. Did they ever publish the outcome.....?

Fouling was kept to a minimum which was a refreshing change and Caley had a fine look about them perhaps enhanced by the fact that Dumbarton rarely tried to advance to stop the forward momentum of our team as we attacked.  Falling back always , well, this can almost inevitably lead to a goal scored against you....?  They were a workmanlike team though !

• Agree 1

From the highlights, which admittedly will probably have painted a rosier picture, we looked pretty decent and could well have won by a couple more, with Ridgers only having to make one pretty decent save to keep us in front. A 10th clean sheet in 11 games though....alright not against the mightiest of opposition, but in anybody's book that's pretty impressive stuff!

Coupled to a thumping win for my other side, made me as happy as Larry...oh and what a way for Celtic to lose their unbeaten run!

15 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Love the video.

Our team seems to be playing and trying hard.

I also liked the encouraging applause from the crowd when their efforts didn't quite come off.

A bit disjointed up  front perhaps what with few ICT players attempting to get into the box to intercept the passes about to penetrate from the outer areas.

The pitch didn't seem to be as bad as I had first imagined based on the remarks from John Robertson and others.

Whatever, it's deffo time for Summer football. Anybody like to comment on that?  Would also probably make a significant difference  to the size of the crowd in the stadium. The SFA produced a questionnaire last season(was it?) and I completed it requesting summer football but heard nothing further. Did they ever publish the outcome.....?

Fouling was kept to a minimum which was a refreshing change and Caley had a fine look about them perhaps enhanced by the fact that Dumbarton rarely tried to advance to stop the forward momentum of our team as we attacked.  Falling back always , well, this can almost inevitably lead to a goal scored against you....?  They were a workmanlike team though !

I'd support Summer football...geographically, we have a lot in common with the Scandanavian Nations & they seem to manage Summer footy fine.

Nothing like freezing your posterior off at the TCS in Winter to make Summer Football appealing! 

• Like 1

I think I have worked out the team formation. Many years ago Hearts came up to inverness Thistle at kingsmills pre season. It was behind closed doors, I was one of the linesman.Before the game kicked off Hearts had their team photo taken the thing that struck me was all the defenders stood at the back the midfielders and forwards stood at the front. The defenders were giants the forwards and mid fielders were tiny in comparison Robbo being one of them so this must be the formation he is trying to emulate. Unfortunately the Hearts players were all footballers unlike our forwards

It was a hard won 3 points, but it was inevitable the goal came from a set piece - we could have played all wknd and never created or scored from open play. The team lack a goal scorer as Baird is not the answer - he's too short to win the ball in the air and has limited to no pace at all. The midfield lacks creativity and when players like Polly show as little heart or desire then its no surprise. 

Fortunately the back 5 look settled and fairly solid which along with finding a double figure scorer in Jan will get out into the play-off's I'm sure. Its lucky its a leagued where mediocrity in the middle can be accommodated in teams. 

It wasn't a classic by any means but after coming over with the game in doubt of being on i was well pleased it was. As already said by others we are really lacking up front and i really hope we can get a decent striker in January . . . . Where that striker would come from is the big question. Thought we looked quite solid at the back and midfield was ok you could tell Vigurs absence was felt. It was good to see us play some nice passing football again too. Its been a while since i seen us pass the ball about like that in the flesh instead of the hoof ball we played under Foran. I took part in the Hospitality for the first time and i couldn't say a bad thing about it. It was nothing short of fantastic and i enjoyed every moment of it. I'll certainly be doing it again in future. A great win for us to pick up and it's always good to come all the way and see us get a win. That topped off another brilliant trip over and i can't wait to get another game booked! :ictscarf:

Edited by Belfast Brigade
  • Agree 4

10 minutes ago, Belfast Brigade said:

I took part in the Hospitality for the first time and i couldn't say a bad thing about it. It was nothing short of fantastic and i enjoyed every moment of it. I'll certainly be doing it again in future. 

Along with Tesco Value Christmas jumper? :smile::lol:

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Funny 1

We really could do some work on our corners and give the strikers a chance. Both sides hit high floating corners into the box which favour defenders in a dead jump, there's also insufficient pace on them should our striker actually win that jump. The one pacy low delivery brought the goal.

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic