Baird or Oakley

Baird - 23 starts, 1 on as sub. 3 goals

Oakley - 8 starts, 13 on as sub. 3 goals.

Why does Robbo persevere with Baird? He is absolute mince. The ball boys have more influence on the game than him!!

Time for Oakley to be given a run of starts. 

Thoughts?

Edited by Guest

13 minutes ago, Caman said:

Baird - 23 starts, 1 on as sub. 3 goals

Oakley - 8 starts, 13 on as sub. 3 goals.

Why does Robbo persevere with Baird? He is absolute mince. 

Time for Oakley to be given a run of starts. 

Thoughts?

Would probably agree - I actually like Baird's work ethic, he certainly isn't a lazy player. Unfortunately, I can't think of anything else positive to say! He hasn't got a great amount of pace for one thing...

Oakley - the jury is out. Decent enough, can make a nuisance of himself with opposition defenders, but doesn't seem to have that predatory poacher instinct (yet, anyway). Maybe a lack of game time? Would be tempted to give him morr starts & see how he does.

Suprised you didn't mention 'Susan'....! What exactly has happened to him, by the way - still injured?

If only we could find another Marley Watkins (or a Wyness, even) in January! Easier said than done though....I'd be quite happy with another undiscovered Fisher, even...

Suspect if we do sign another striker, will probably turn out to be another Dani Lopez though....

Should either go for a young hungry striker who hadn't broken into a team yet (like Wyness at Aberdeen was), an experienced & proven striker at the tail end of their career or one of our own youth players (Daniel Mackay springs to mind). Options 1 &/or 3, please. Unless we get a big name (highly unlikely) - last good but ageing striker we had that I can think of was....Brewster (crap manager but great player).

Edited by jingsmonty
Additional text

22 minutes ago, jingsmonty said:

Would probably agree - I actually like Baird's work ethic, he certainly isn't a lazy player. Unfortunately, I can't think of anything else positive to say! He hasn't got a great amount of pace for one thing...

Oakley - the jury is out. Decent enough, can make a nuisance of himself with opposition defenders, but doesn't seem to have that predatory poacher instinct (yet, anyway). Maybe a lack of game time? Would be tempted to give him morr starts & see how he does.

Suprised you didn't mention 'Susan'....! What exactly has happened to him, by the way - still injured?

If only we could find another Marley Watkins (or a Wyness, even) in January! Easier said than done though....I'd be quite happy with another undiscovered Fisher, even...

Suspect if we do sign another striker, will probably turn out to be another Dani Lopez though....

Should either go for a young hungry striker who hadn't broken into a team yet (like Wyness at Aberdeen was), an experienced & proven striker at the tail end of their career or one of our own youth players (Daniel Mackay springs to mind). Options 1 &/or 3, please. Unless we get a big name (highly unlikely) - last good but ageing striker we had that I can think of was....Brewster (crap manager but great player).

'Susan', I believe we are trying to offload him. Hopefully we won't have to mention him again. :amazed:

Baird struggles as he isnt a tall or strong physical player which considering our tendency to still hoof the ball isnt helping him, but coupled with that being a small player he has little pace - while he works and runs his sole function has to be to score goals and unfortunately his physical attributes dont help that.

We need to loan a young, hungry player from the fringes of a Premiership team who has shown that they know the way to goal.

23 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Baird struggles as he isnt a tall or strong physical player which considering our tendency to still hoof the ball isnt helping him, but coupled with that being a small player he has little pace - while he works and runs his sole function has to be to score goals and unfortunately his physical attributes dont help that.

We need to loan a young, hungry player from the fringes of a Premiership team who has shown that they know the way to goal.

Probably the way to go in the short-term. Good strikers aren't the easiest players to find!

As for Susan...who?! The 1 or 2 times I saw him play, he made Dani Lopez look good....!

Oakley ahead of Baird every time for me, but Gary Warren would be better up front than either. Throw Daniel Mackay in there for the knock-downs and who knows what could happen. If 16 year olds can break into the Hearts first team then why not for us?

• Agree 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, Renegade said:

Warren isn't mobile, skillful or fast enough to play up top.  Donaldson maybe is but if we were to convert him to a striker we'd lose something at the back.

The same could be said for him playing in defence Waren is way past his best now!

I would continue with Baird over Oakley until we make further signings. While Baird is clearly not a goal threat, he puts in a power of work and links well with the midfield. Oakley is also hard working, and has more physical presence, but he offers almost nothing in terms of link play. Whether he's competing in the air or receiving the ball to feet, it's a complete lottery as to whether we will retain possession. 

Very poor management from Robbo to leave us with such poor options up front for the first half of the season. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Caley Stan said:

I would continue with Baird over Oakley until we make further signings. While Baird is clearly not a goal threat, he puts in a power of work and links well with the midfield. Oakley is also hard working, and has more physical presence, but he offers almost nothing in terms of link play. Whether he's competing in the air or receiving the ball to feet, it's a complete lottery as to whether we will retain possession.  

Completely agree with this, excellent post.

52 minutes ago, Caley Stan said:

In other words they are both SHYTE.   And nott good enough to help us even reach the playoffs, This is a worry as Robbo will be judged on what he brings in during the next few weeks, if he has/has not the eye for a striker.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

I am reliably informed that Rory McAllister is en route.

Really? Can't see it myself. 

Tom Walsh from Dumbarton has been mentioned. Who? Think he is a midfielder. 

Looks like McAllister is out of contract in the summer. Could maybe get him quite cheap then. Or give Peterhead a couple of our yoing guus on loan to get leagie experience.

On 26/12/2017 at 11:12 AM, jingsmonty said:

Apropos of 'young and hungry', Falkirk supporters on P&B have us linked with Nathan Austin, who looked a terrific prospect at East Fife but who has apparently disappointed badly since signing for Falkirk. No idea if there is any basis for the rumour, but obviously it would be something of a gamble if true. Some of the Falkirk supporters suggest that he has clear potential and either simply hasn't been used correctly (apparently he is most effective as part of a front two) or has suffered from being part of a poor overall team, while others think that he found his level at East Fife. 

19 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

As a player he puts in effort but seems to be  perhaps a bit disjointed and inaccurate in his deliveries.

Comment please?

Reminds me of the postman who used to do our street.

• Funny 3

27 minutes ago, MorayJaggie said:

Looking at Austin stats he's played 680ish mins this season in the championship with 3 goals not exactly a good show of form to put either Baird or Oakley out of a job.

3 from less than 8 full games is clearly better than either of our two have managed.