Scotty

Another frustrating performance from ICT today. The same issues that have been evident on so many occasions this season were yet again on show today. A clear lack of clinical edge, poor play in the final third, lack of width, slow in closing down the opposition and defensive errors leading to a goal. We really do know how to make it hard for ourselves.

St. Mirren were quickly out of the traps and whilst we were able to knock the ball around a bit at the back their forward line worked so hard to close us down we often ended up battering the ball in the vague direction of Austin / Oakley or seeing our shorter passes being pounced on by the Buddies players harassing our every move. A slack ball out of defence by Warren was seized up on by Saints and a couple of quick passes later Reilly burst into the box, delaying his shot leading to Tremarco going flying past him with his attempt at a heroic last ditch tackle, before rifling the ball into the roof of the net. Saints continued to look a threat for most of the first half and they easily cut open our defence with some clever balls in between full back and centre back which left us woefully exposed at times. Our attempts on goal were largely restricted to long range efforts which didn't really trouble Samson. Doran (I think) had a decent chance when he sent a half volley wide of goal. Disappointing to be behind at half time but Saint Mirren thoroughly merited it and they were unlucky not to be further ahead when Stelios cut in from the right flank and sent a cross / shot in which bounced off the bar with Ridgers looking beaten.

Second half was a real improvement from us. When we got the ball down on the floor and passed it around utilising the wide areas (especially when Mulraney came on and Chalmers pushed further out on the left) we started to create some excellent chances. Unfortunately, as seen so often this season, we wasted every single one of them thanks to some limp finishing, some good saves and a bit of luck for the Buddies. Oakley missed perhaps the best chance of the game for us when he somehow failed to turn in a neat cut back from Trafford (again I think) who had raced along the goal line and picked him out just outside the six yard box. His tame effort went straight to Samson. Oakley also wasted a good header towards the end of the game. Bell saw his fierce shot blocked by Samson at close range, Doran curled a shot wide of the post from just outside the area, Mckay headed straight at Samson from a corner and Polworth saw his effort scrambled off the line by Samson.

Saints also had some opportunities to extend their lead in the second half but were often snuffed out by some desperate last ditch defending from the likes of Warren and we looked to get a break from Collum when Ridgers failed to collect a crossed ball dropping it at the feet of a Buddies player who tapped it into the net but somehow we were given a free kick for a "foul" on Ridgers. A very lucky break for us there.

Definitely disappointing to come away empty handed given the chances that we passed up but if you don't take these chances and continue to waste them then we can't complain much. Polworth had a good game for us today although he was at times wasteful with the ball when attacking he covered so much of the pitch both defending and supporting the attack he gets massive respect for his effort. Doran also had a decent game as well despite being subbed. He swanned past opposition players like they weren't there at times. I think he'd be really useful as a number ten playing behind the striker (as many others have said before). Warren had some heroic blocks but was also culpable for some pretty dodgy passes out of defence which put us under pressure. Most players did fine but nothing amazing.

Man of the day Raven spent a fair chunk of the game being roasted by Morgan and was lucky not to be booked on a few occasions after hauling him down. Despite this he also chipped in with some great challenges and blocks at the back and was an excellent support down the right flank when we were attacking.

With Falkirk on Tuesday we need to seriously sharpen up on our finishing. Missing four or five guilt edged chances a game simply cannot go on.

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 6

2 hours ago, DWH said:

Decent striker urgently required (22 goals in 20 games) : in with a shout in most matches but lack of firepower is costing us dearly.

Need to turn draws into wins and narrow defeats into draws.

To put that in context its also 6 wins in 22 games, 3 off against Brechin and 11 of the goals scored.

This is the price paid for a summer where the club messed about with players & managers, not having a clear strategy other than to slash costs. The lack of maintaining a 15 goal striker is killing us. In this league with a solid defense and decent striker you can get away with average players elsewhere and still make the play-offs or even get promoted - just look at Hamilton in the past but we didn't have an infrastructure that could see that. Would happily have traded Baird, Bell, Susan for another season of Fisher - he probably would have still left budget to play with for the likes of Ali Sutherland

2 minutes ago, Adamskibeats said:

Any explanation forthcoming why Coll Donaldson didn't feature today ?

He had a head knock against Livi so I wonder if it is related to that? Maybe something to do with concussion?

28 minutes ago, RiG said:

He had a head knock against Livi so I wonder if it is related to that? Maybe something to do with concussion?

Maybe, If he'd been subbed for that, but he played the rest of game IIRC. Maybe a virus ? They tend to float around quite alot at this time of year......

13 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42520167

I wasn't there but the match statistics here seem to tell a tale. Not encouraging ...or...lessons to be learned?

Comments please?

Stats aren't that bad. Shows a fairly even match. Well apart from them winning 1-0. 

Disciplinary wise, ICT 'behaved' better today with only one caution (yellow card). 

Attendance - nearly 4500. Wish we could get that. 

Edited by Guest

11 minutes ago, Adamskibeats said:

Maybe, If he'd been subbed for that, but he played the rest of game IIRC. Maybe a virus ? They tend to float around quite alot at this time of year......

Quite possibly a virus. He might have been checked over after the Livi game and showed signs of concussion then. I'm sure the (local) papers will have some info on it early next week.

1 minute ago, RiG said:

Quite possibly a virus. He might have been checked over after the Livi game and showed signs of concussion then. I'm sure the (local) papers will have some info on it early next week.

I wouldn't expect the Inverness courier to mention an ICTFC game unless it was against Cunty.

• Facepalm 1

I found today quite encouraging on the whole. St Mirren clearly deserve to be top of the league - no great shakes but do the easy things well. Really good second-half shift from ICT but lacking in front of goal. Of course, there was the 'disallowed' goal. Same linesman as didn't give that Hibs one the other week, apparently. Several players got touches and it was all very fast but my impression was that Samson hoicked it out from behind the line.

Generally, I thought today was a great advert for the championship - big crowd, good game (pity about the result). What a shame there'll be minimal press coverage and nae telly.

In other Championship news - whit in the name o the wee man happened at Falkirk?

Edited by KirkieRobRoy
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

14 minutes ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

I found today quite encouraging on the whole. St Mirren clearly deserve to be top of the league - no great shakes but do the easy things well. Really good second-half shift from ICT but lacking in front of goal. Of course, there was the 'disallowed' goal. Same linesman as didn't give that Hibs one the other week, apparently. Several players got touches and it was all very fast but my impression was that Samson hoicked it out from behind the line.

Generally, I thought today was a great advert for the championship - big crowd, good game (pity about the result). What a shame there'll be minimal press coverage and nae telly.

In other Championship news - whit in the name o the wee man happened at Falkirk?

No idea but I sincerely hope it doesn't happen again on Tuesday.

• Agree 2

Was just going to say the same. My first game for a while today. Thouroughly enjoyed it. St Mirren will know they have been in a game. We spurned all the best chances..........a draw would have been fair........a win not robbery. St Mirren moved the ball much quicker and more directly than us. We are too ponderous.........Vigurs a big miss today. Felt sorry for Oakley........his glaring misses will feature in match reports but otherwise I thought he held the ball up and linked play quite well. These are the league leaders we were playing; I think at 3 o'clock our fans weren't expecting much............surely we must agree that overall that was a pleasing performance.....................our lack of goals is costly and frustrating. They will come

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Adamskibeats said:

Any explanation forthcoming why Coll Donaldson didn't feature today ?

As well as the head knock, he was clearly limping in the second half and was holding his groin area a couple of times, so clearly played in pain for much of Tuesday's game.

I just hope he is fit for a Tuesday.

Robbo said after the game the front three didn't follow his instructions to play further forward. He said the second half they finally listened and we saw the dividends. Thought defence looked shaky and hesitant in the first half except raven but seemed to grow in confidence in the 2nd. Polly played well overall, Trafford was in and out the game, Chalmers struggled. Thought Baird had his best game yet in the wider position, Oakley held up the ball well against strong centre halfs.  Doran was decent but tired in the second half, missed two good cut back chances. Thought Bell has a sharpness that the other forward players lack, he should be starting for me. Jake was a threat in his cameo but frustrating as usual. Going to miss Raven. Need a replacement. St Mirren have a potent attacking side, happy to glide past players and swap positions. We had to attack. Made for a very open, entertaining game yet again in Paisley, but fruitless nonetheless.

14 hours ago, Naelifts said:

. Felt sorry for Oakley........his glaring misses will feature in match reports but otherwise I thought he held the ball up and linked play quite well

First time I'd seen him. Thought he put in a good shift, worked hard, chased things and didn't hide. Didn't score either, but the goals will come.

Getting a bit late now for making excuses. We need to start winning and getting the points simple as that. League 1 might be realistic destination . especially if we dont win the next 2 games!

• Agree 1

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic