Scotty

One of those rare (in recent times) occasions where you could actually relax and enjoy the game! It's nice to be 3-0 up early doors.

The front 3 tore Falkirk apart on the break. Oakley held the ball well in the build up and always provided a target for Bell and Mulraney in the box. A good old fashioned 'big man-wee man' attacking combination. Mulraney's goal was a fitting climax to one of the best passing moves you'll see all season.

Think the official-bashing is getting a bit over the top. The persecution complex / siege mentality can be a good motivator in small doses, but becomes toxic and self-defeating if you take it too far. All of our bookings were justified. If you were being picky you could argue that Falkirk deserved a few yellows of their own. As for the stand-side linesman, Baird was a yard offside for his goal so what are we complaining about? Regardless, why moan and boo at the end of a 4-1 victory? Cheer up folks.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, AlexJones said:

One of those rare (in recent times) occasions where you could actually relax and enjoy the game! It's nice to be 3-0 up early doors.

The front 3 tore Falkirk apart on the break. Oakley held the ball well in the build up and always provided a target for Bell and Mulraney in the box. A good old fashioned 'big man-wee man' attacking combination. Mulraney's goal was a fitting climax to one of the best passing moves you'll see all season.

Think the official-bashing is getting a bit over the top. The persecution complex / siege mentality can be a good motivator in small doses, but becomes toxic and self-defeating if you take it too far. All of our bookings were justified. If you were being picky you could argue that Falkirk deserved a few yellows of their own. As for the stand-side linesman, Baird was a yard offside for his goal so what are we complaining about? Regardless, why moan and boo at the end of a 4-1 victory? Cheer up folks.

Agree with everything there, good post! 

As you said it was refreshing to actually be able to sit back and enjoy the football on show without panicking every time the opposition headed into our half 

20 hours ago, Caman said:

Nope the ball was not in the field of play when he kicked it. He kicked it out of the park in frustration at not getting to it. That warrants a yellow card, so the referee was correct in issuing one

May have been warranted (debateable in my view) but no need to issue one when game almost finished and no danger of Falkirk winning. Some common sense is required and there is no requirement for referee to book him but just another opportunity for that clown of a ref to show his authority. How many times have we seen teams indulge in blatant time wasting with no action taken and then Polworth gets booked for this!!.

49 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

Agree with everything there, good post! 

As you said it was refreshing to actually be able to sit back and enjoy the football on show without panicking every time the opposition headed into our half 

Worthwhile buying a season ticket for :wink:

• Funny 1

Totally deserved victory last night and how Falkirk managed to score 6 against Dundee Utd is beyond me as they were poor last night. All played well and it shows the difference when Vigurs plays as he keeps the play moving and we are a better team for that. While Polworth did okay last night, that is something he, and Chalmers need to do more. Fear the loss of Vigurs due to suspension will come back to haunt us in the next two games. As I said in a previous post, we have the nucleus of a team here and, while it has taken a little time to gel, you can see some players now starting to get up to speed in this league. It must be remembered that many of the new signings had played little or no first team competitive football before joining us so a big learning curve.

And now to the referee. Some posters have said we need to lose/stop the perceived complex that we are getting a raw deal from referees. I think last night indicated otherwise as the referee and linesmen, especially the far side linesman were very poor. Of our 4 bookings, Warren and Chalmers were justified but Oakley's was not as he was caught by the keeper in my opinion. Even if the referee did not think the keeper caught him, he did not deliberately dive. Again, how many times have we seen similar situations this season where no action taken by the referee. Oakley should also have had a penalty in the second half where he was blatantly held and the referee and standside linesman could not have missed it  but still no penalty. In fact Oakley was fouled continually throughout the game with nothing given by the referee. Falkirk were a bit cute in there were a few off the ball incidents which went unpunished and Bell got some rough treatment, and zero protection from the ref. Finally, to compound the poor officiating, Falkirk's goal was well offside, probably not given as the linesman did not keep up with play but even he should have seen it would have been impossible for the Falkirk players to be in the position they were without being offside. Given that he also missed another clear offside earlier, when Falkirk should have scored, then you can see that the officials could have altered the game substantially. I fully appreciate that being a referee is difficult but they do make it difficult for themselves at times by getting so many basic decisions wrong. Incidentally, was sitting next to someone whose two friends were visiting him from England and they could not believe how poor the officials were last night.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

56 minutes ago, tm4tj said:

I'm not sure why he would throw himself on the deck when he could just have easily kicked the ball?

Agreed. George you should have stayed on your feet and stuck it in the back of the net. Can't imagine Robbo would like the tv evidence. Might cost him a starting slot on Saturday if Austin is fit. 

2 hours ago, Huisdean said:

Totally deserved victory last night and how Falkirk managed to score 6 against Dundee Utd is beyond me as they were poor last night. All played well and it shows the difference when Vigurs plays as he keeps the play moving and we are a better team for that. While Polworth did okay last night, that is something he, and Chalmers need to do more. Fear the loss of Vigurs due to suspension will come back to haunt us in the next two games. As I said in a previous post, we have the nucleus of a team here and, while it has taken a little time to gel, you can see some players now starting to get up to speed in this league. It must be remembered that many of the new signings had played little or no first team competitive football before joining us so a big learning curve.

And now to the referee. Some posters have said we need to lose/stop the perceived complex that we are getting a raw deal from referees. I think last night indicated otherwise as the referee and linesmen, especially the far side linesman were very poor. Of our 4 bookings, Warren and Chalmers were justified but Oakley's was not as he was caught by the keeper in my opinion. Even if the referee did not think the keeper caught him, he did not deliberately dive. Again, how many times have we seen similar situations this season where no action taken by the referee. Oakley should also have had a penalty in the second half where he was blatantly held and the referee and standside linesman could not have missed it  but still no penalty. In fact Oakley was fouled continually throughout the game with nothing given by the referee. Falkirk were a bit cute in there were a few off the ball incidents which went unpunished and Bell got some rough treatment, and zero protection from the ref. Finally, to compound the poor officiating, Falkirk's goal was well offside, probably not given as the linesman did not keep up with play but even he should have seen it would have been impossible for the Falkirk players to be in the position they were without being offside. Given that he also missed another clear offside earlier, when Falkirk should have scored, then you can see that the officials could have altered the game substantially. I fully appreciate that being a referee is difficult but they do make it difficult for themselves at times by getting so many basic decisions wrong. Incidentally, was sitting next to someone whose two friends were visiting him from England and they could not believe how poor the officials were last night.

Donaldson played him on by about 2 yards from  highlights on falkirk tv.

5 hours ago, AlexJones said:

Regardless, why moan and boo at the end of a 4-1 victory? 

The moaning was for the fact we should've scored more than 4 and the booing at the end was firmly directed at John Beaton after most of the players had left the pitch.

• Agree 1

Been away since early Wednesday and just wTched the highlights.

I thought it was a penalty when I saw it live, but not so sure now. Pity the second claim is not shown.

I agree with the comment above, Polworth was instrumental in the first two goals, in what was the most enjoyable first half for some time. Credit to Vigurs for getting back when Falkirk were 3 on 1 too.

Great to see Mulraney score, hopefully more to come.

Shame about the bookings, though. Is Vigurs suspended again or did I misread that in this thread?

A very enjoyable evening!

According to Robbo on MFR tonight, Tremarco is out for up to 8 weeks.

34 minutes ago, Robert said:

Been away since early Wednesday and just wTched the highlights.

I thought it was a penalty when I saw it live, but not so sure now. Pity the second claim is not shown.

I agree with the comment above, Polworth was instrumental in the first two goals, in what was the most enjoyable first half for some time. Credit to Vigurs for getting back when Falkirk were 3 on 1 too.

Great to see Mulraney score, hopefully more to come.

Shame about the bookings, though. Is Vigurs suspended again or did I misread that in this thread?

A very enjoyable evening!

According to Robbo on MFR tonight, Tremarco is out for up to 8 weeks.

Tremarco out for 8 weeks. Real bad news. Hope that doesn't destabilise defence with him out and DR departed. 

Checked SFA website and found this,

SPFL – CHAMPIONSHIP 

IAIN VIGURS (INVERNESS CALEDONIAN THISTLE F.C.) 1 SPFL FIRST TEAM LEAGUE MATCH IMMEDIATE AND 1 SPFL FIRST TEAM LEAGUE MATCH FROM 16/01/2018 02/01/2018 

So, looks like he is available this Saturday and for Scottish Cup tie at Dundee (I think). 

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, Caman said:

Tremarco out for 8 weeks. Real bad news. Hope that doesn't destabilise defence with him out and DR departed. 

Checked SFA website and found this,

SPFL – CHAMPIONSHIP 

IAIN VIGURS (INVERNESS CALEDONIAN THISTLE F.C.) 1 SPFL FIRST TEAM LEAGUE MATCH IMMEDIATE AND 1 SPFL FIRST TEAM LEAGUE MATCH FROM 16/01/2018 02/01/2018 

So, looks like he is available this Saturday and for Scottish Cup tie at Dundee (I think). 

He didn't get booked on Tuesday though?

14 minutes ago, CaleyThistle said:

He didn't get booked on Tuesday though?

Sorry, above was dated 4th January, pre Falkirk match. 

So the '1 SPFL FIRST TEAM LEAGUE MATCH IMMEDIATE ' would have been last Saturday's St Mirren game. 

Edited by Guest

Thoughts from brief highlights:

Oakley dived

very sweet strike by Mulraney

superb set-up play from Polworth on several occasions

fantastic tracking back by Vigurs to save a certain goal

caught at least twice with our pants down at the back - Vigurs (above) saved a 3 on 0 situation. How does that happen at this level?

Anyway, loads of positives and few negatives from a great result. It’s interesting watching the Falkirk and ICT highlights - seemed like different games!

• Agree 1

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic