Inverness CT -V- Queen of the South

Scotty

15 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

There was not a failure on the pitch for us today and, until Vigurs had to be substituted, the old guard of Vigurs, Polworth and Doran were running the show and oozing class. Perhaps some of those who have been on Polly's case all season will now cut him a bit of slack.

A special word for the manager. When he came in, I was not alone in having my doubts. He had been out of management for a very long time and out of full time management for even longer and his record since he left us almost a decade ago was hardly inspirational.

However, after a sticky start, he has now introduced a system which is both entertaining and increasingly effective. As far as recruitment is concerned, while there have been a couple of failures, his recruits are much more effective than those of either Hughes or Foran and on a fraction of the budget.

Well done to the players and the manager. We are not quite there yet and it may take until next season to genuinely challenge for promotion but we are on the right track and have, by and large, the right squad and the right Steersman at the helm.

If agree we have the nucleus of a really good team and need to get the guys signed up now to keep them to build for next year. 

• Agree 1

Quite a few players have contracts up in the summer. If we reach the playoffs then that will boost their reputation then possible get offers from down south. Leave then we are back to square one the same as this season and go through it all again.

32 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

long way to go before these long term commitments are made.

We got Coll Donaldson to commit to a 2 and a half year deal. No reason why someone like Bell couldn't do similar.

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, RiG said:

We got Coll Donaldson to commit to a 2 and a half year deal. No reason why someone like Bell couldn't do similar.

I doubt Bell is on megabucks either.  I've seen it suggested somewhere that Austin is on £800 p/w.  You'd imagine Bell is probably on about 500ish.

When Coll Donaldson first came to the club he was (allegedly) getting paid £250/week and was told that he should show that he was worth more to encourage him to win a deal. Most of the guys we are getting in noware on (a few) hundred(s) rather than the very low thousands a good few were on in the Premiership.

13 minutes ago, Renegade said:

I've seen it suggested somewhere that Austin is on £800 p/w.  You'd imagine Bell is probably on about 500ish.

6 minutes ago, RiG said:

Most of the guys we are getting in noware on (a few) hundred(s) rather than the very low thousands a good few were on in the Premiership.

Speculating on players wages is crass and low-class. Players wages are no ones business but their own and regurgitating "what you've heard," is just stupid. Unless of course you lead by example and post your salary?

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Perhaps some of those who have been on Polly's case all season will now cut him a bit of slack.

I talked to number of folk yesterday on this subject and a fair few just refuse to see his contribution. 

Rumours are that we can expect a bid for him this month. If he moves on, I suspect he'll be missed more than he's been appreciated.

22 minutes ago, AncientMariner said:

Speculating on players wages is crass and low-class. Players wages are no ones business but their own and regurgitating "what you've heard," is just stupid. Unless of course you lead by example and post your salary?

tenor.gif?itemid=5245718

• Funny 1

53 minutes ago, AncientMariner said:

That's a pretty bizarre argument to say the least. This is an ICT website and as such there is going to be speculation about our club and players of pretty much anything really. What players earn, where they might be heading off to in the future, what they eat after a game and so on.

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 5

Not a great deal more to add to what has already been said. Good overall performance and a deserved win for us despite another really poor refereeing performance. Is it too much to ask that they understand what is and is not a foul and the fact that a card does not automatically have to be brandished.

Some concerns however, that on another day could have come back to haunt us. We should have been out of sight in this game but do miss some good chances, Second half performances do seem to take a dip with alarming frequency and we try to play way too much football at times in defence which could have cost us at least two goals yesterday but we got away with it. If we win, then these don't matter but we rode our luck to a certain extent yesterday but we were certainly due some luck this season.

Anyway, yesterday continued a somewhat interesting trend for ICT in the league this season so far - the importance of the first goal. When we score the first goal we have won more than 70% of our games. When we lose the first goal we have gone on to lose every single one of those matches. Yesterday we bagged the opener and got the win.

2 hours ago, Caley Stan said:
6 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Perhaps some of those who have been on Polly's case all season will now cut him a bit of slack.

I talked to number of folk yesterday on this subject and a fair few just refuse to see his contribution. 

Completely unfathomable that people can't see Polly's positive contribution. They seriously need to open their eyes.

P.S. I'm not Polly :lol:

• Agree 2

Third place is now within reach and apparently the Arabs were rank yesterday. Still two matches to go against them.

Keep the good form going and you never know.............

St Mirren will easily be champs.

On 13/01/2018 at 7:44 PM, MorayJaggie said:

In the last few weeks we've played three of the teams above us one win one draw where we should won and kept high flying st mirren to only one goal even after going down to ten men. 

Ten men? I must have been away for a pie at that point :laugh:

16 hours ago, AncientMariner said:

As fans who choose to pay a great deal to support the club I think it's entirely reasonable to discuss what our players are paid considering it also relates to term long term financial viability of the club.

Remember that in addition to a weekly wage there's also appearance and/or win money paid. 

• Agree 2

On 14/01/2018 at 1:43 PM, MorayJaggie said:

If agree we have the nucleus of a really good team and need to get the guys signed up now to keep them to build for next year. 

Well put, couldn't agree more. Hope those that started the 'Robbo out' thread are feeling a bit sheepish now...

22 hours ago, MorayJaggie said:

Quite a few players have contracts up in the summer. If we reach the playoffs then that will boost their reputation then possible get offers from down south. Leave then we are back to square one the same as this season and go through it all again.

The ambition to play at a higher level will be a powerful draw...no reason why, if we don't manage to get through the playoffs this season (hopefully we should make), which is definetly a big ask, we shouldn't be mounting a promotion push next season? Playing in the Premier league with us is a big carrot to sell in lieu of high wages...the likes of Shinnie (both of them), Marley Watkins, etc, are testament to that.

Probably one of the reasons Coll Donalsdon signed up on a ling-ish contract. 

I would never ask what John Robertson is getting because, whatever it is, we all know ( I hope) that John's heart is in the right place , he has done a wonderful job of selecting and motivating the players and if we can get into the top three we should reward him with a bonus for freshening up the squad and the atmosphere at the Caley Thistle park and allowed us to dream that the future will again be much brighter. and rewarding as well.

Oh and how about a wee donation to the referees' orphans' fund as well, as soon as possible -- just so they all know our hearts are also in the right place .?

• tm4tj unpinned this topic