Joe Chalmers

WYNESS101

I agree, he does a lot of work quietly.

I first picked up on it when he was immense at Tannadice a few months ago.

I want to see the goal though: it looked like a daisy cutter so goodness knows how it went in!

Glad it did.

1 hour ago, Robert said:

I agree, he does a lot of work quietly.

I first picked up on it when he was immense at Tannadice a few months ago.

I want to see the goal though: it looked like a daisy cutter so goodness knows how it went in!

Glad it did.

To spare the blushes of the QofS goalie, lets just say that he saw it late....!

Chalmers (despite the sceptics - me included) is turning out to be exactly the sort of player every club needs - someone to do the 'dirty' work & let the creative talents play...

The guy has grown in stature week on week. He also has that ability to put us foot on the ball, change direction and create space for a decent pass. Sad to say this is something Ross Draper couldn't do.

• Agree 1

I get the feeling that Chalmers and Inverness are a good fit for each other.... strikes me as a player you miss when he's not playing. Guys like Chalmers (and Trafford) do the work that allow the other more creative players to prosper.

We can all see now that the club and Robbo have done a pretty good job of rebuilding the team. I'm excited by the potential.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Eagle4Caley said:

I get the feeling that Chalmers and Inverness are a good fit for each other.... strikes me as a player you miss when he's not playing. Guys like Chalmers (and Trafford) do the work that allow the other more creative players to prosper.

We can all see now that the club and Robbo have done a pretty good job of rebuilding the team. I'm excited by the potential.

Robbo  Rice and Kel are building the team, the rest don't have an effin clue. hopefully some of the youths will get a deserved chance once we get totally clear of any relegation worries. if we keep producing a wee gem or two every year we will have no fears. Charlie and Danny have a huge role to play in how we progresss from here.

Edited by caleyboy
  • Agree 1

While agreeing he has improved as the season has gone on, I thought he was the poorest player, along with Brad Mackay for us yesterday. he needs to learn to tackle, move the ball quicker and work on his defensive skills. All things that can be improved by coaching and hard work.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

58 minutes ago, Huisdean said:

While agreeing he has improved as the season has gone on, I thought he was the poorest player, along with Brad Mackay for us yesterday. he needs to learn to tackle, move the ball quicker and work on his defensive skills. All things that can be improved by coaching and hard work.

It is very difficult to compare players when they have such different styles. Chalmers has been slotted into a role where he provides a bit of a base for others to do the more eye catching stuff.  Since he started in his midfield role we have been firstly more solid defensively and latterly more creative going forward.  I'm not suggesting this is all down to him (far from it) but if he was not doing his role well we would be seeing more pressure on the defence and getting less ball to the attacking players.

What he does well is to make himself available to receive the ball and then move it on safely in the right direction.  Defensively he is not a particularly great ball winner but he has good positional sense, closes players down quickly and generally makes it difficult for opponents.  It's a pretty anonymous role but an important one which he is steadily growing into.  He may not have caught the eye like Calder did yesterday but he had a pretty decent game.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Maybe it was the conditions, with the pitch looking heavy and also the game we had earlier in the wk against Falkirk. Most of the team looked tired in the final 20 mins, but Chalmers perhaps most - if Vigurs wasn't taken off to prevent a potential red card then I'm sure Trafford would have been a swap for Chalmers. His performance early in the match was solid, he did little wrong to make him noticeable and his goal was a good reward for a consistent game.  

Anywa,y I hope John praises the good things and strengths of all the lads because we all need encouragement at every stage of our life.

Indeed, many believe it may be the most appreciated and valued comments that a boss can hand to an employee.

We  have all developed at different times and rates and, in some cases,  we have been lucky that the advice given at a certain point just fitted the bill or was that  spot of glue that was required  to allow that last magic piece of the jigsaw puzzle to slot smoothly into place and productively remain there for all to see. 

Alternatively, if you never praise a player that can kill his or her spirit unless that person is very strong-minded and the lack of recognition makes him/her  even more determined to carve his/her  own groove and at that point he may just leave  and start his own business and be much happier as he builds it up. Because an indelpendent spoirit cannot be easily quashed.             Praise flair and encourage independent thought....why you might njust learn something from it oneself.

IMHO, pep talks, strong direction, smiles and lots of praise  are John's most effective tools for getting the players onside and wanting to strive to get better and better. Now that's real leadership.......IMHO at least.