Championship Table

St Mirren will win the league.

Dundee United look like being second. 

It is between the next five teams for being 3rd and 4th. All of which can beat each other on the day.

St Mirren beating Dunfermline last night is a good result then. 

A lot to play for every week, plus also a lot to lose. 

Can't decide if I want a bit of a Scottish Cup run. Dundee, and if it happens, Motherwell, are both winnable matches. To me the priority is the league and promotion. 

At least these can take our mind off the Irn Bru cup fiasco.

:ictscarf:

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

Scottish cup run please.  I don't think playing an extra couple games will harm us too much. 

Agreed, but big chance of another replay if we advance. With a thin squad SC replays, plus Irn Bru cup could be a negative with injuries and fixture congestion. 

8 minutes ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

Scottish cup run please.  I don't think playing an extra couple games will harm us too much. 

Absolutely. Never convinced about the argument that being knocked out of the cup is a blessing in disguise allowing a club to concentrate on the league.

Scottish Cup quarter final and a play off place would represent a fine recovery from our disastrous start to the season and would bode very well for next season.

• Agree 4

4 hours ago, Caman said:

St Mirren will win the league.

Dundee United look like being second. 

It is between the next five teams for being 3rd and 4th. All of which can beat each other on the day.

St Mirren beating Dunfermline last night is a good result then. 

A lot to play for every week, plus also a lot to lose. 

Can't decide if I want a bit of a Scottish Cup run. Dundee, and if it happens, Motherwell, are both winnable matches. To me the priority is the league and promotion. 

At least these can take our mind off the Irn Bru cup fiasco.

:ictscarf:

????????

Its an indication of how poor the Championship sides are this season in terms of quality. Previously we have seen Hearts, Sevco & Hibs storm the league - even some of these clubs convincingly beater in the play-offs, suggesting the gap to the Premiership is bigger than some like to admit. This season St Mirren look to be the strongest team yet were easily demolished by Aberdeen in the cup and when you consider ourselves & Falkirk as 2 teams who have really been dire this year are still contenders for the play-offs, it raises questions of the quality. Everyone is taking points of each other and as the above shows. 

Its hard to make a case of any team other than the league champions to get into the premiership next season - even a play-off final I'd consider County, Partick, Hamilton all stronger teams by a fair margin. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Its an indication of how poor the Championship sides are this season in terms of quality. Previously we have seen Hearts, Sevco & Hibs storm the league. 

I would maybe look on it differently and suggest that what we are seeing now is more representative of what should normally be expected just outside Scotland's top league of twelve. I don't think it's valid to make a comparison in terms of Hearts, Hibs and Rangers. They are fundamentally big clubs by Scottish standards which got themselves into trouble through their own mismanagement, although in Hibs' case compared with the other two, it's less easy to see specifically how that happened. Had these three not shot themselves in the foot, they would never have been in the Championship in the first place.

2 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Its an indication of how poor the Championship sides are this season in terms of quality. Previously we have seen Hearts, Sevco & Hibs storm the league - even some of these clubs convincingly beater in the play-offs, suggesting the gap to the Premiership is bigger than some like to admit. This season St Mirren look to be the strongest team yet were easily demolished by Aberdeen in the cup and when you consider ourselves & Falkirk as 2 teams who have really been dire this year are still contenders for the play-offs, it raises questions of the quality. Everyone is taking points of each other and as the above shows. 

Its hard to make a case of any team other than the league champions to get into the premiership next season - even a play-off final I'd consider County, Partick, Hamilton all stronger teams by a fair margin. 

How about Dundee?

In the last five seasons fourth place in the Championship has had an average of 56 points.  We've currently got 30 points from 23 games.  If we go the rest of the season on that points per game rate we'll get 46 points.  

However, we had a terrible start to the season.  So if you take our form since the first quarter of the season (24 points from 14 games), we'll finish on 52 points.  I think that'll probably be enough to get fourth.

We are entering an absolutely crucial part of the season though - our next three league games are Dundee Utd (h), Dunfermline (a) and Morton (h), depending on this Crusaders pish.  I think we really to win two of those games minimum to really put ourselves in the driving seat for a play off, especailly the games against Morton and the Pars, two of our direct play-off rivals.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:59 PM, Northern_jaggie said:

Make no mistake, we are one of the form teams in this league right now.

69B10044-1FA4-4A9B-9374-05D83AEF5220.jpeg

Could someone please explain the significance of the percentages and if necessary their red and blue colours in the right and column. I do realise that they represent the fractions 1/3, 2/3 and 1/6 and are hence probably related to the six games played, but they don't seem to correlate with anything obvious and I'm not sure either what the "2.5+" heading means.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Could someone please explain the significance of the percentages and if necessary their red and blue colours in the right and column. I do realise that they represent the fractions 1/3, 2/3 and 1/6 and are hence probably related to the six games played, but they don't seem to correlate with anything obvious and I'm not sure either what the "2.5+" heading means.

It stands for the percentage of that teams games that go over 2.5 goals.

23 hours ago, Blair said:

To me the only way Caley has a chance of getting into the playoffs is if Caley players stop this obsession with getting Redcards 

Apparently its got so bad the club are thinking of fining the culprits..........obviously running a strict discipline policy for stupid & unnecessary behaviour

• 2 weeks later...