Inverness CT -V- Morton

Scotty

It has all been  said before me, nervy, slow in pace and thought, inept, disjointed, lacking passion and leadership from a team that knew the importance of a win, what the hell is going on?  A few made some effort but no consistency from any but young Mackay who can be singled out for effort. A very, very dispiriting and disappointing performance for the support to watch. No wonder people left the ground before the final whistle and no wonder the crowd is dwindling.

We do miss David Raven he should have been kept on and should have been made Captain. Sorry Garry Warren but you no longer have the stamina to be our mainstay. Doran unfortunately not anywhere like his old self but I believe he can still recover and improve enough to hold his own in the Team. Ridgers, I was maybe harsh in my first paragraph by not including him along with Mackay as a real Trier, he is definitely the most improved player on our books and is now a very reliable goalkeeper.

Lastly did we actually get through a match without a booking??..........that must be one positive.

• Agree 2

I am afraid that it says everything to me when so many people are talking about leaving the game well before the final whistle. Personally I would not accept any argument against the notion that apathy off the pitch produces apathy on the pitch. I also suspect that some of the players will already be thinking about what they are going to do next season as some fans will be thinking about whether to renew their season tickets. Attending football matches just gets more and more expensive. As I have alluded to before - if I was Robbo I would be cracking the whip in regard to the next two games. I also feel that we should go more into attack mode like we did in the first half against Crusaders. May be an old West Ham adage but I would rather win 4-3 than 1-0, especially given the fare on offer these days.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

One thing that showed through yesterday, that's been happening intermittently this season, is how inconsistent some players even within games.  Yesterday, Vigurs and Polworth (and at times Chalmers) would make a quick pass, or a wee turn and move that would open the game up entirely.  The next minute, they'd be playing a lazy pass straight at the opposition.  Infuriating!

Also, we were 2-0 down, badly needing a result and through on Mackay and then no-one else.  Why?  We had Bell, Elbouzedi and Tremarco and left them sitting on the bench.  Why?!

The game itself typified our season. Some promise ultimately undone by the most basic mistakes in defence putting us on the back foot before discipline costs us either through a red card or conceding a ridiculous penalty. Again, our attacking play was largely poor and whilst we created some decent chances and hit the woodwork on a few occasions our finishing just isn't good enough to get us the goals needed to win matches. We've conceded the first goal on nine occasions in the league this season and in every single one of those games we have lost the match.

In the first half our best chance probably fell the way of Polworth when he was presented with almost the entire goal to aim for from a few yards out after good play by Doran I think it was on the right. Seedorf, Trafford and Oakley all passed up reasonable half chances. However throughout the entire first half Morton were a constant threat to our backline especially with simple balls lifted over the top. Tiffoney and Oliver were running Mckay and Warren ragged all game and it was no real surprise when the opener came from one of them forcing a mistake from our defence. Mckay completely misjudged a long kick out and let Tiffoney in to squeeze the ball under Ridgers after Mckay had recovered to block the first shot.

In the second half ICT hit the post through Chalmers, the bar from a Vigurs shot and had a goal questionably chalked off after Gaston struggled to collect a high ball and substitute MacKay poked it over the line. That didn't stop the announcer playing the goal scored music again, announcing the scorer before issuing a correction clarifying no goal had been scored :laugh: In between all this Morton had pretty much sewn the game up after Harkins converted a penalty following another idiotic foul by Seedorf who was turned inside out and back in again by a Morton attacker. 

All in all it was simply another limp performance from a pretty rudderless looking ICT side. There isn't much fight in this team at all and as soon as we go behind you can see the heads drop. We just cannot find a way back into games. When Morton went ahead on Saturday they started the second half sitting quite deep looking to hit on the break whilst challenging us to try and find a way through them. We had neither the pace nor the creative spark to fashion a really good chance to get ourselves back into the match. 

Robertson strangely left Bell on the bench when making changes to the side which seemed quite odd as he's been one of the few decent recruits brought in since last summer. Chalmers ended up playing right wing and was simply not in the game at all until his effort in the second half. Polworth ran about a lot but again had no end product whilst Vigurs was being bodied by Harkins who was absolutely fantastic and probably the MotM. 

Worrying times for ICT as the playoffs continue to slip away from us. There's little to get excited about these days and you can clearly see supporter interest is waning badly. Claiming there was 2,300 there was a complete joke. Take about 500 off that and you'd be closer to the real attendance. With season tickets due to be renewed in a few months time you can only suspect that even fewer people will be heading through the gates in the months ahead which leaves huge financial questions hanging around the club not least for the manager who will need to recruit several new players again in the summer if we are to challenge for promotion. Most of this lot simply aren't good enough and I would only keep about 4 or 5 of them for next year.

Still, at least we have the Challenge Cup Final to look forward to...

• Agree 3

An interesting and very honest interview with the manager.  But looks like Donaldson will be out for another 3 or 4 weeks with a hamstring injury.  It becomes a very important week now.  6 points against Dumbarton  and Brechin should be achieved and would, in reality, dispel any lingering fears of relegation.  Get that out of the way and should be able to play with a bit more confidence, and then, who knows?  Lose to Dumbarton and we might have a very nervy end to the season.

• Like 1

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic