Toothless ICT v Winless Brechin - GAME OFF

RiG

It's maybe also worth observing that, at time of writing, all league games, run by the SPFL, are off while a few yards along the corridor, all four Scottish Cup ties, with their attendant TV money and run by the SFA, are still on.

On the other hand maybe it's simply a case of the SFA not having noticed that it's been snowing because they are still looking for the "Morton ball".

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

I drove up from Fife. Which has similar conditions to Brechin, not a bother once out my street. Unbelievable they called this game off. The traffic from Brechin to Inverness would hardly have had a major impact on the road network. Poor call by the police and clubs. About time we stopped being the nice guys and start doing what's best for us. 

• Agree 2

living in Aberdeen the roads here are fine and travelled up to Elgin and back along the a96 today and the road was open gritted and black tarmac the whole way.  Also the A90 is open and since Brechin is on the A90 what's the problem the same police are allowing fans to travel to Pittodrie as has been mentioned yet another farce.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, MorayJaggie said:

living in Aberdeen the roads here are fine and travelled up to Elgin and back along the a96 today and the road was open gritted and black tarmac the whole way.  Also the A90 is open and since Brechin is on the A90 what's the problem the same police are allowing fans to travel to Pittodrie as has been mentioned yet another farce.

You have previously mentioned policing games before. So as you are in the know how maybe you can answer your own question?

It stinks. It is well known Celtic and Rangers have supporters groups from all over Scotland, probably there shall be a bus or buses from Angus travelling to glasgow for the old firm games. Both Angus and Glasgow  are heavily affected  by snow. However this is deemed fine, whereas a small contingent of supporters and players from Brechin to a completely snow free area is deemed dangerous. It's a joke.

• Agree 3

If mayhem and misery  attends football  during the Winter in all kinds of ways, what reason would one  give for not considering Summer football?  Knock off a month for holidays in the middle of the season and enjoy the other months in comfortable and less dangerous conditions. Not to mention the players who would relish it and  the game would surely be played with greater verve and most probably with more exciting and fulfilling outcomes.  

Some might utter a negative  "same old, same old." but how about a positive  smart and sensible ":same old, same old."  by way of contrast?

Then the "stick- in- the- mud -won't - try anything-new" folks  pipe up again and says, "But it's always been like that so it must be the right way, etc."

If so, why have times changed, why  have cars got more comfortable and more powerful,  immobile  and clunky telephones have turned into cell phones and  women have become smarter and no longer wear long skirts and the boys are now happier as a result? And change is inevitable also so why not join in the progressive-thought-in- action brigade?

Global  warming  is getting worse and worse and WORSE and the obvious effects of it are seen all over the world. Once the iceberg melting accelerates (since a started motion adds to itself and envelops and accelerates the process) the game will be well  nigh over. Meanwhile, we still bury our heads in the  sand on top of the rising waves and nobody wants to make the sacrifices to change it . So we are doomed and by the time we do wake up and can't smell the roses anymore, because they are all drownded in the coming floods, it will just be TOO LATE. Start the anti-rot now and back Summer fitba so that  older guys like Scarlet can enjoy an uninterrupted dotage.

Yep, Festus , it's time to take in the cotton crops earlier this year, sell at a handsome profit and scarper off to  our future colony on Mars,  methinks.:wave:

• Agree 1

Assuming no extension to the season, there are now only 8 Saturdays left, one of which will be taken up with the Irn Bru final, and 12 league matches to fit in.  Hope our lads are fit and able to cope with almost two matches a week,  with all the travelling involved, and that's without any further call offs for weather.  Surely a case for better scheduling throughout the season including better use of 'international' week ends and 'spare' Scottish cup week ends.  Not the ideal schedule for our late ( and forlorn) push for the play offs.:sad:

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, DoofersDad said:

So it’s apparently fine for Kilmarnock fans to make the long journey to Aberdeen through the snowfields of Central Scotland in order to play a cup match that will have some TV exposure. 

I mentioned this on the last page. The SFA and SPFL seem to be taking two very different approaches to their matches this weekend.

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, RiG said:

I mentioned this on the last page. The SFA and SPFL seem to be taking two very different approaches to their matches this weekend.

Another reason to have a single body administer the game in our small nation.

• Agree 2

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:41 AM, Renegade said:

If the pitch is playable, play it.

Also, the decision not to play Dunfermline on the Saturday a few weeks ago looks increasingly moronic.

Agree with your first sentence as Kilmarnock fans and team being forced to travel to Aberdeen in worse conditions.

With regard to your second sentence, this is totally uncalled for in my opinion but isn't hindsight a wonderful thing.

23 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

This end of season fixture pike up is likely to favour the Arabs who are the only team in the division with a squad large enough to be able to comfortably handle playing twice a week.

Large but not necessarily good enough:lol:

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Huisdean said:

Agree with your first sentence as Kilmarnock fans and team being forced to travel to Aberdeen in worse conditions.

With regard to your second sentence, this is totally uncalled for in my opinion but isn't hindsight a wonderful thing.

Over 1,300 Kilmarnock fans at Pittodrie today.  Absolutely no reason out game shouldn't have gone ahead.

Not an uncalled for comment at all.  We refused to play the game when both we and Dunfermline were free for absolutely no reason whatsoever.  An absolutely ridiculous decision that looks stupider by the week.

1 hour ago, Huisdean said:

A lot of us were of the view that it was the wrong decision at the time and said as much.

Yes it's ridiculous to ask professional footballers to play three hours of football a week. 

Us who work 40+ hours a week are sooooooo lucky.

Get real!!!!

24 minutes ago, Caman said:

Yes it's ridiculous to ask professional footballers to play three hours of football a week. 

Us who work 40+ hours a week are sooooooo lucky.

Get real!!!!

Caman, please accept my apologies in advance if the top line of your statement is intended to be taken at face value as opposed to the irony which I have interpreted. But, in the latter event, it's you who needs to get real because that would betray little concept of the realities and demands of upper level competitive sport. After 90 minutes of football, or indeed after most sporting activities, even those of short duration, the need for recovery must take a high priority and needs to be managed very carefully.

By the time you get to the end of a 40+ week season even playing once a week, the issue of cumulative fatigue is a consideration and concern, which is why adding in this that and another into some players' schedules is a worry. When you go to extended periods of playing competitively twice a week then that cumulative fatigue is an hugely bigger concern - and that's before you even start to think about injury risk and management.

What we're talking about here is a bit more than kick and rush at the Bught in the the Welfare League before going back to the Gelluns for a pint.

• Facepalm 2

Absolutely no reason why today's game could not have gone ahead,

We now face 5 of our last 12 games being midweek, and as I am often away during the week due to work commitments, I expect to miss the home ones, which is frustrating and calls into question the value of my season ticket.

I don't blame the club, but the SPFL were short sighted and premature about this weekend. The traffic chaos ended yesterday, so they should have waited and reviewed things yesterday lunchtime.

Rant over!

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 3