Play offs

Bronson

Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere but-

We are 6 points ahead of Dumbarton who play Brechin on Saturday. We play Dundee United. If results go according to form then that will only be a 3 point gap. Think I'm correct in saying we still have to play Dumbarton twice in the league. 

The way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if we finished second bottom. Could be an exciting end to the season yet. 

8 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Thank goodness for Brechin !

Brechin won’t save us from the playoffs. 

The real worry for me is that back to back wins for Dumbarton creates the feeling of a winning run for them, increasing confidence and leading to better performances in games that they may not have been expected to pick up points in. 

We, on the other hand, do not appear to know where our next points are coming from. 

We need to win the game with Brechin and the two with Dumbarton. That would take us to 39 points. The most points that has ended up in the playoff is 42. I’m not sure where any other points are coming from unless we find a serious upturn in form. 

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, caley100 said:

Mind you,  If Brechin can get their first win of the season on Saturday, AND  we get a win at Arab central, that would be a healthy gap!  

Long shot I know but....

I like your positive thinking caley 100 :smile:

Mind you,  If Brechin can get their first win of the season on Saturday, AND  we get a win at Arab central, that would be a healthy gap!  

Long shot I know but....

Been smoking something you shouldn't have? :cheer01:

3 games in hand against Morton who are currently in the playoffs. Win all of those and we sit 3 behind Morton and still to play them. Promotion is still in our hands. Will it happen? Probably not but I'm still not going to panic just yet. 

• Agree 1

Caley squad okay but without  a real scorer to me playoff  this season is impossible to say, for example, we had someone who could score often like Billy Mckay  we would probably be in top place now or second  and I am not saying Billy would come back since I doubt Caley could afford him . Whenever I used to do a goal prediction for Caley when Billy played I will be honest I was wrong a lot of the times I would think he would score 1 then he did 2 . Even in the last match Caley played if they had real scorer they would had won. Ridgers the Goalkeeper  I will be fair to me he's doing a incredible job overall.

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 15/03/2018 at 11:08 PM, Blair said:

Caley squad okay but without  a real scorer to me playoff  this season is impossible to say, for example, we had someone who could score often like Billy Mckay  we would probably be in top place now or second  and I am not saying Billy would come back since I doubt Caley could afford him . Whenever I used to do a goal prediction for Caley when Billy played I will be honest I was wrong a lot of the times I would think he would score 1 then he did 2 . Even in the last match Caley played if they had real scorer they would had won. Ridgers the Goalkeeper  I will be fair to me he's doing a incredible job overall.

Have you seen Billy's record since he left us first time ? He is a striker who is destined to have one purple patch in his career and we were fortunate to benefit from it.

He has not shown any signs since that he is remotely capable of hitting those heights ever again.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Have you seen Billy's record since he left us first time ? He is a striker who is destined to have one purple patch in his career and we were fortunate to benefit from it.

He has not shown any signs since that he is remotely capable of hitting those heights ever again.

The one and only memorable thing Billy Mckay did for us in his 2nd spell was the late overhead kick against Rangers. Actually think that could be the only memorable thing of last season full stop 

• Agree 2

I think if we continue to play like we did in the first half against dundee United then we should be comfortably safe. Top four is a stretch now but still not impossible, if we win our games in hand then you never know. 

• Agree 1

Yes,  the way the team played against D.U in the first half certainly unsettled the opponents big time. But all credit to them. They changed their tactics and  you know the rest. We went downhill fast and they passed us at speed as they built up a big head of steam. 

Was ICT out of gas or what?  John must fathom this out.....now.

We were the same vs Crusaders, first half excellent, three goals and a complete second half collapse!  It's although the opposition suss out the way we set up, change their system and Robbo hasn't a clue how to alter his.

• Agree 2

the opposition suss out the way we set up

Yup, let our strikers have possession outside the box and stop the wingers like Jake - going by our awful goal scoring record they probably know that its unlikely we will score or create anything!!!

On 3/20/2018 at 7:54 AM, Doofer said:

I think if we continue to play like we did in the first half against dundee United then we should be comfortably safe.

Eh? We've been playing like we did in the first half pretty much all season and look where it's got us. Far too often we pass the ball about well enough but have absolutely zero creativity in the final third and don't finish the few chances we create when they come our way. That's not how a team that will be "comfortably safe" performs.

• Agree 1