Scotty

If we had won today there was still a slim chance of catching Morton given our games in hand but I think that now is that. The focus now is win the cup and finish safe in the division.

• Agree 1

We were well on top in the 1st half with Vigurs afforded loads of space to spray the ball about but we failed to convert the dominance into chances and the chances that did come were squandered by Oakley. In the 2nd, United had us sussed - they stymied Vigurs and targeted Seedorf from the opening seconds and got a lot of joy down their left. Even so, we remained a threat on the break where Polworth was wasteful. Ridgers, Warren and Tremarco had good games and Austin looked decent. 

But I'm worried. Worried that Dumbarton will have the measure of us, that we won't be able to break them down, that we'll lose our discipline in the face of their physicality and, most of all, that if we lose the final it will have a big effect on a psychologically fragile team. 

Next week's game could be far more important than the Challenge Cup.

• Agree 3

Caley Stan sums it up well. We dominated the first half without ever really threatening to score the goals needed to put us into a comfortable lead. Oakley was incredibly wasteful. Staggering that he gets a free ride from our fans when Baird was crucified any time he missed a good chance. We simply cannot afford to pass up the kinds of chances he did yesterday if we want to get a few more wins on the board.

United were posted completely missing in the first half but the introduction of McDonald at half time and later on McMullan brought them a lot more joy and they had the measure of us for most of the second 45. I don't really know what their goal was like. They had a throw in about 30 yards from goal and I looked away for a couple of seconds only to turn round when I heard the home fans cheering :sad:

Mulraney and Doran coming on helped us stem the tide a wee bit and get us back on the front foot on a few occasions towards the end of the game but again we didn't create too many clear cut chances to get a winner.

And that is us in a nutshell really, plenty of the ball but very poor in the final third. Stan mentions Polworth being wasteful yesterday and whilst i agree I would also say that when he gets into those positions there is precious little movement ahead of him to seek out. There's no Billy Mckay type player hanging on the shoulder of the last defender looking to be played in on goal. Our crossing from wide areas is pretty poor and hold up play by the main striker isn't good enough and we turn the ball over before they get support up to assist. 

Defensively however I thought we were pretty decent yesterday, certainly less mistakes compared to Tuesday night and some other games recently. Even without Donaldson I thought we coped quite well with United for the most part despite being under the cosh in the second half. Warren mopped up a lot of attacks but Seedorf defensively was poor. 

Apart from Warren I thought Bell and Tremarco were probably our standouts. Bell brings a real energy to our attack buzzing all over the place to try and support Oakley whilst Tremarco is much more solid at LB than Calder. If we want to win the Challenge Cup next weekend we will need to up our performance again but I'm not too sure if some of these players have much more to give.

Yes I am sure most of us would have taken the point had it been offered on Saturday Morning, so not a bad result in the end but having dominated the first half , it just says what we all already know we need a striker, maybe Austin will be able to do something now he is fit time to give him a go.

Could Donaldson be slotted in at right back?  He's decent on the ball, defensively far sounder than Seedorf and is fairly mobile.  I could see him going up and down the lines swinging balls in quite well.

D.U's pitch seemed to dry out remarkably well from the time of the last pre-game  report I saw on here. And it looked very good indeed. Although perhaps it may have been a bit heavy for the players over the full 90 minutes. 

What a lovely day to be playing football and the stuff on display was very passable indeed and often exciting to watch, IMHO. Mostly from Caley Thistle (in the first half at least) and how they were not up 3 or 4  in the first half was something to ponder over. The players obviously tried hard but  coming through on goal and hitting the ball directly from a wee distance out directly at the goalie is hardly the way to score. The corners of the goal exist too ....:ohmy:

I think John needs to work hard with the forwards on placing the ball netwise , avoiding the goalie's position,  and keeping the ball down and not "out and over the bar".

Teaching the players to be clinical and ruthlessly effective in front of the goal is imperative for John R. to stress and to practice constantly. . Remember our boyhood and girlhood phrase..."practice makes perfect". EXACTLY!  See..old-timers occasionally know a thing or two.:wink: 

Goalies are not always dynamic diving down to stop goalbound shots but both goaliees demonstrated  how much easier it is for then to jump up and make contact with a high ball which is netbound for sure.

I saw only the highlights of course but Dundee United came back surprisingly well in the second half whilst ICT seemed to just just fade. I enjoyed this match as much as anything because of the lovely sunny day  and freshness of the park which allowed for quick and accurate passing and slick footie from Caley in the first half and then joined by D.U.  In the second. A very good crowd also helped with the atmosphere. 

So, bring on Summer football as soon as possible ? Yes? :clapoverhead:

49 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

We scored from a corner, you don't get many of them to the pound!

Corners are statistically one of - if not the most - overrated thing in football.  The chances of scoring from one of them are very slim, despite fans seeming to think otherwise.  

On 3/17/2018 at 8:04 AM, Caman said:

Our geographical location probably hindering us with this. 

I have never understood why we did not think laterally. The central belters baulk at travelling 3 hours up the A9 ... so with direct cheap flights to other parts of the country like Bristol, Manchester, London, Belfast, Birmingham or European spots like Dublin or Amsterdam ... why not look there. Its less travel time ion many ways .... and perhaps more hunger from players looking to progress 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic