Bucharest to Brechin

Naelifts

Over the season various posters have howled at us for not getting behind the team. Their righteous indignation at any criticism levelled at the team sometime stung. Where they right? As a supporter you are there through thick and thin. We have had a meteoric rise in 24 years and enjoyed much success. We have consistently punched above our weight. Can anyone really believe, right now, that we were in Bucharest a couple of years ago. Now we quake at the prospect of a trip to Brechin (God bless them).. Our success was largely down to unearthing a succession of largely unfancied managers who , in turn, unearthed a steady stream of quality players. We knew those good players would be poached......its what happens. Time and time again we replaced those that left and maintained our lofty position in Scottish football. It was, in retrospect, unsustainable. We have downgraded our expectations this year. I sit here,unable to sleep, and probably typing the obvious, but, I am concerned at my apathy over tomorrows Cup final. I could have done other things tomorrow but I wont. I'll be there...hoping. It has , to my mind, not been a great competition. A few years ago we would have approached such a match with great expectation , excitement and pride at having reached a final. Not any more.The fact is that we know our players are good enough........they have shown how they can play in brief bursts. We should be winning this. My conclusion is that it is up to them. We deserve a performance. All any employer can ask is that their workforce tries their best. That should be good enough tomorrow. We have too many under achievers. I would not name those that I think have let us down ,but I think we all know who they are.. I like Bell.....Oakely gives his all.......Ridgers is probably our most improved player...........Donaldson has a future. A recent night in Dunfermline was tortuous and I don't want to sit through that again. The only joy that night was the Ryan Esson chant...a small band of committed supporters trying to stay warm and enthused any way they could. I applaud the foot soldiers of smaller clubs who turn out every week no matter what......imagiine being a Brechin supporter just now. Momentum is a great thing. There was a time this season, not that long ago, when we had momentum. We were on a run and all manner of play-off predictions were being bandied about. I fear that our momentum is now in the opposite direction. It is still mathematically a possibility but the players have to step up to the plate. It is up to you guys now. You are good enough. You can do it and you should prevail. Don't let us down. If you try your best......play as you can................we are going to win a Cup!!  C'mon ICT. Make us proud of you again.

• Agree 2

I enjoyed visiting Brechin. Pity they weren't staying in the Championship with us (if we do)

We are similar this season to what happened to St Mirren last year who almost hit rock bottom but then re-adjusted and now

look at them.

I completely and utterly disagree with this "punching above our weight" stuff that people come out with. We've spent the majority of our existence at the top tier of Scottish football and comfortably so for the most part (albeit in the bottom half of the division). Saying that we were punching is pandering to the central belt consensus that only the historical biggest teams should be in the top division. 

I'm absolutely buzzing for tomorrows game. Initially I was slightly apathetic but the closer it's come to game day the more excited I am getting.

Bring. It. On.

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 1

Perhaps we should be looking at our experience as Brechin to Bucharest and back - or Arbroath to Bucharest historically - (the Circle of Life) - but don't forget some of the "stop-offs" on the way - Old Firm slayings, cup semi-finals, cup finals, league winning escapades and off course Europe. Sometimes it is the fans OFF the pitch that create an occasion. I will be doing my feckin best AGAIN tomorrow.

I think RIG that with regard to our often perilous financial situation and club infrastructure we had little right to be at the top table for so long. We were playing at it and little effort seemed to be put into growing the club, making it a more attractive package and enhancing crowds. Only through that could we have had any financial muscle to compete. I still enjoyed your rendition of" Ryan Esson" though

I’m in Madreed right now and saw Ronaldo score 4 last Sunday but I’ve chartered a helicopter which will land in the centre circle at 1600 hrs in time for Oakley’s day of days. Viva la tap in. 

• Funny 3

On 23/03/2018 at 9:16 AM, RiG said:

I completely and utterly disagree with this "punching above our weight" stuff that people come out with. We've spent the majority of our existence at the top tier of Scottish football and comfortably so for the most part (albeit in the bottom half of the division). Saying that we were punching is pandering to the central belt consensus that only the historical biggest teams should be in the top division. 

I'm absolutely buzzing for tomorrows game. Initially I was slightly apathetic but the closer it's come to game day the more excited I am getting.

Bring. It. On.

Agree. Punching above our weight is the sort of patronising comment beloved of condescending central belt pundits.

We were in the top league for all those seasons on merit and with proper organisation and sound management, both on and off the pitch, there is no reason why we can't be again.

Scottish Cup wins and European campaigns may be rare and special events but there is no reason whatsoever why top flight football should be.

The reason why we are where we are is nothing to do with our fan base, geographical location or lack of resourses but everything to do with appalling mismanagement in the board room and the dressing room ever since that amazing season

• Agree 3