3 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Ah well just in from Perth .... We won the cup....and tremarco scored think that's about all I remember about the high points. Great performance by young mckay tremarco and Donaldson though. Daniel made all the difference 

Still in Perth, but ditto the rest.

• Agree 1

Oops one too many celebratory drinks or predictive text. You know what I meant. It's the Fourth nay the Firth, or more precisely the County of Ross.

Was driving through Perth after the match listening to Off the Ball and a discussion about the slightly delayed "live" transmission on Alba. Tam Cowan said that Vigurs had missed the penalty on the live radio broadcast before he'd taken it on Alba.

• Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, Caman said:

Think I'll go to the shinty next Saturday.  Having to watch three ICT games in 7 days would be bad for my blood pressure and make me a gurnier b####ard!!!!

please do. I'm sure we would'nt want you to bother yourself. Enjoy the shinty.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Polo Chick said:

Well that's 92 minutes of my life i don't get back what a dreadful game but a cup win is a cup win Pass marks only to Donaldson, Tremarco , Ridgers and young Daniel who i hope the club have the brains to get tied up and eventually make some money out of .....but then perhaps not P.S please do not let Vigurs take any more penalty's 

thanks for the support and celebration of a trophy win against a really stuffy side. Glad you appreciated it.

• Funny 1

I had to watch on TV as I had a family birthday party in the evening.

A slightly nervous opening as Dumbarton crafted better chances, but other than the deflection off Donaldson that Ridgers saved, we never really seemed in danger.

They were set up to make it difficult for us to build play and create chances, making it a slow, patient game, and pretty dull most of the time.

I feared the worst after the penalty, but credit to the team, they did not get deflated and their patience was rewarded.

Great to have Donaldson back, but my plaudits go to MacKay and Tremarco. 

Well done guys, lets now kick on!!

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, davie said:

please do. I'm sure we would'nt want you to bother yourself. Enjoy the shinty.

On second thoughts I'll go to the St Midden game instead.

Can I sit on your lap davie and run my fingers through your sideburns? X

The criticism on here is partly a disrfespect to Dumbarton. They are a part time team who waited over 100 years to reach another cup final. They proved extremely resilient yesterday and were much more dangerous than us in the first half. Luckily our possession football paid off in the second half although only just. That said, cup finals are often cagey affairs whether world cup or champions league. That said, we needed a positive result this year and we now move forward to retain our status in the Championship before going again next year. The players will have learned a lot from their experience this year.  We need to hang on to Donaldson and Mackay though. Warren has now learnt to avoid being banned for a cup final and quite righly now has a winners medal with us.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

First of all what a great result! To win a cup, whatever cup it may be is still an achievement so I am very proud of the team.

the match itself was hardly a classic. First half was dreadful from us with their keeper only making two saves from weak shots straight at himlate on. Dumbarton started well and defiantly had the better chances. The second half we were far and away the better team and when Dorran and mackay came on we look very dangerous. Mackay is a right gem!! It frustrates me no end that it took us so long to start looking dangerous in the final third we were lacking that cutting edge.  Mulraney and chambers were invisible the entire game and how the hell was dolandson the MOTM!! His passing in the 1st half was awful as he looked lazy and that didn’t look to want the ball. Oakley gave 100% but lacks the quality to turn players and his touch let him down. Vigurs should never be allowed near a penalty again. I knew we would miss it the moment it was awarded. It is no wonder we are where we are in the league but there are signs of promise. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

Not the greatest game ever but let’s give credit to Dumbarton. They defended very well indeed with a game plan to stop us playing. They kept things very narrow giving our midfield little space, and then they closed us down quickly making it difficult for us to find space. 

Having said that, we should have had the quality to find the cute passes into the space behind or to take defenders on - but we didn’t. That’s a worry. Mulraney looked particularly ineffective in a situation where getting past his man would have given him space to use his pace. 

Doran and particularly MacKay added that bit of sparkle as the Dumbarton defence tired. We might have got 2 or 3 at the end (Vigurs awful penalty apart). Doran drew a smart save from the keeper and MacKay took a shot when he had better options. 

Getting the cup win should be a great psychological boost, whilst the final 10 minutes should give some clues on how to break Dumbarton down in the games to come. As I say, not the greatest game ever, but a really important win for a number of reasons. 

Finally. Delighted for Gary Warren to be able to play in a final and collect the silverware. 

Well summed up and said, totally agree.

Must admit, I was totally underwhelmed by the prospect of the final. Couldn’t go because I was coaching, but was quietly glad. When I saw the first half, I was even happier not to have gone. Second half was marginally better, but I was more overjoyed than I expected when we scored and I watched the lads celebrate. As others have said, this was a well-needed tonic in a dire season. Would love to say that we could kick on from here and challenge for 4th spot, but the level of performance yesterday suggests that mid-table is where we will end up: we’re just not good enough to deserve a crack at promotion.

Well done lads, enjoy the victory! Let’s get this season over with and regroup in August for a better tilt at it.

6 hours ago, Caman said:

On second thoughts I'll go to the St Midden game instead.

Can I sit on your lap davie and run my fingers through your sideburns? X

why isn't there an emoji for frankly terrified? :) 

Well i enjoyed yet another memorable ICT away day. Those who i expected to see i met and saw. Nowt wrong with the atmosphere. As fer the game it was poor but both teams set up defrnsively. Loads of positives to me. Ridgers has cemented his place and really is a solid keeper. Donaldson was immense, Tremarco is the Duracell Bunny, Polworth ran his socks off as did Oakley and we appear to have unearthed a wee cracker in MacKay - simply has to be signed up - with sell on clauses - and given some real game time. We never looked troubled, defensively we kept it tight and shaped, thought we played some pretty stuff a times BUT as all season lacked the killer touch in the last third and lack of a proficient striker. We deserved to win. Our heads could have gone down after that deplorable penalty kicked but we kept to the age old adage of keeping going to the final whistle. Respect to the team and the loyal away support. Just need to get out of the play off spot and start planning gor nect season. Cant believe that so many are whingeing. To me it was a last gasp winner, just as stimulating and enjoyable as the Vincent clincher at Hampden - and giving most fans a well deserved, albeit wholly unexpected cup winning experience in the worst season in years. We are still alive and kicking and the only way is up dudes. Have a nice day ☺

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, Doofer said:

how the hell was dolandson the MOTM!! His passing in the 1st half was awful as he looked lazy and that didn’t look to want the ball. 

As well as being solid at the back, Donaldson was one of the only players on the park who wanted to carry the ball forward - I'm genuinely surprised that you think he looked like he didn't want the ball. It's true that he misplaced a couple of passes, but I think that was partly to do with the fact that the movement from our players in more advanced areas was frequently dreadful. That game should have been an opportunity for Mulraney to show off his ability, and he contributed nothing. Daniel Mackay provided more width, directness and outball in his first two minutes in the park than Mulraney did all game. 

• Agree 4

2 minutes ago, alternative maryhill said:

As well as being solid at the back, Donaldson was one of the only players on the park who wanted to carry the ball forward - I'm genuinely surprised that you think he looked like he didn't want the ball. It's true that he misplaced a couple of passes, but I think that was partly to do with the fact that the movement from our players in more advanced areas was frequently dreadful. 

Absolutely. Clear MoTM. Also I'm willing to swallow a bit of humble pie regarding his partner Gary Warren who has been excellent the last couple of games I've seen.

Lets not get carried away. A good day yesterday, but the team still has a job to do in the league,  Far more important job to do.

They have to make sure they don't finish second bottom.  I for one don't want to play  a team like Raith Rovers  in a two match play off . Lets concentrate on doing a job for the rest of the season.

Matches left

Away games They look difficult. If Dumbarton park the bus not even a certain 3 points there

Home games  , Brechin is a certain 3 points  , Dumbarton is the critical one , but again the dreaded bus may be parked, as they will also be fighting for  survival

The other games anything can happen , As I said we have a job to do.

Somebody I once knew did a survey of  midweek floodlit games  and he told me a team was far more likely to drop points at home than on a Saturday fixture.

Tue 27 19:45 H Dundee Utd League        
Sat 31 15:00 H St. Mirren League        
April 2018
Tue 3 19:45 H Brechin City League        
Sat 7 15:00 A Queen of the South League        
Tue 10 19:45 H Falkirk League        
Sat 14 15:00 H Dumbarton League        
Tue 17 19:45 A Dumbarton League        
Sat 21 15:00 H Dunfermline League        
Tue 24 19:45 A Livingston League        
Sat 28 15:00 A Morton League
Edited by Laurence
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Laurence, that’s bizarre. Dumbarton probably need to beat us twice so why would they be parking the bus? Also disrespectful to Brechin who have no pressure now they’re officially down.

• Agree 2

Couldn't attend yesterday due to ill health so had to suffer coverage on BBC Alba. 

Obviously not a great game but we won FFS.  The continuing negativity from some posters is just incredible. Sure it has not been a great season but we now have to finish as high up in the league as possible and properly prepare for next season. In hindsight, the relegation may have been just what we needed to get boardroom changes and a fresh start to trying to move the club onwards.

14 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Making that trip in advance of the stresses and strains of managing a team in a cup final shows quite a lot of commitment to tge job.

Yes indeed ... and watching back on Alba today, his regaling at half-time of teamtalks from the 03-04 season also leaves warm glow. 

1 hour ago, TheMantis said:

Laurence, that’s bizarre. Dumbarton probably need to beat us twice so why would they be parking the bus? Also disrespectful to Brechin who have no pressure now they’re officially down.

I get your point John, I was just thinking we have a job to do, and not to get carried away with celebrating. A job to do that must be done.

• Agree 1

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic