Sign in to follow this  
Caman

Bell & Oakley

Recommended Posts

IMO they bumbled about today and looked third rate. Should they be binned at end of the season?

Mackay and Austin up front on Tuesday night for me. 

  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oakley don't mind if he goes but Bell to me he's the only player in the team you could possibly argue is good enough to be a striker.  To me until a  real striker comes Bell best Caley has so can't get rid of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since there’s not much of the season left I would give Mackay a bit more game time.

It was away back in mid July when I first clapped eyes on George and anybody could see the only goals he would get were tap ins. He couldn’t hit a coo’s erse wi a banjo. Yesterday, apart from him being completely dominated by the big centre half, one other thing struck me. He has absolutely zero game intelligence and instead of reading where intelligent players like Vigurs will play the pass, makes his runs away in the opposite direction. Rooney had similar weaknesses at first when he joined us but George takes them to a whole new level. He gets credit for putting himself about but he must have the least inspiring CV I’ve ever seen for a player joining us.

Wee Connor is a trier too, but I think a season at this level has shown he’s not really up to it. You never know though, if he was playing off a bigger striker in a team which spent more time attacking than we do at the moment.

A lot of people moaning on the match thread but I actually think a lot of the team’s nervousness was down to having no confidence that the front men could score us a goal, and that we might lose the final on penalties. We’ve got a decent core. If we can find a goal scorer and replace Chalmers who is just about the most pedestrian footballer I’ve ever seen, we may well be in the running next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad to say, but I agree with most of that. Oakley lacks pace too. Yesterday he hardly won the ball at all.

But for all that, he always gives 100% and he is our top scorer with 8 from just 18 starts. That’s not a bad return. 

I disagree with the last point. If others had no confidence in the front two scoring (Bell is our 2nd highest scorer) then why didn’t others have a pot at goal?  Polworth has scored just 3 from 34 starts. He’s another you can’t fault for effort, but he really should be scoring more than that. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure that a striker should be the first priority.  We would need to get the ball to that striker before they could do anything with it. 

Too many moves yesterday broke down 25-30 yards out, or on the wing near the corner flag.  Whenever I look at BBC text reports, the phrase "left-footed shot from Vigurs from outside the box" appears with regular monotony.

Get the ball into the box somewhere between the penalty spot and the goal line, and even a plank of wood - or George :) - would score more off random rebounds than we do at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not like Oakley gets much service. He was winning everything in the air in his first few games but now he's reduced to battling for long punts upfield where he has to wrestle 2 central defenders and then get on the end of his own flick ons.

As they invariably bounce 10 feet away in the wrong direction it doesn't look great. BUT, he does tie up 2 defenders so in theory there should be room to exploit for someone else. 

If we got more crosses in from out wide I think he'd create more and have more impact. It's not like he's missing sitters and getting chance after chance on a plate.

He does have a tendency to fall over his own feet or the ball at crucial moments. And he's fond of a dangerous cross field pass in our own half. So there's room for improvement.

Connor seems to have gone off the boil a bit but has a knack of being in the right place. Needs a goal. 

It is noticeable though that young Daniel routinely causes more threat in his 20 minute cameos than the rest do in the entire match. 

He looks like a natural born finisher and is definitely the long term solution. Austin has shown some nice touches , and impressed earlier in the season for Falkirk, so I wouldn't complain if he got the nod to start.

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last striker that people on CTO condemned as not good enough scored a double for Morton yesterday...taking one of the teams we're chasing 3 points further away from us.

Just think on that for a bit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

The last striker that people on CTO condemned as not good enough scored a double for Morton yesterday...taking one of the teams we're chasing 3 points further away from us.

Just think on that for a bit!

Ah but we have 4 games in hand over them! Win all 4 of those and the remaining h2h with Morton and we go above them.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we seriously lack an attacking winger that can take defenders on and whip in a decent cross. Mulraney just isn't good enough and that is what he is supposed to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

I disagree with the last point. If others had no confidence in the front two scoring (Bell is our 2nd highest scorer) then why didn’t others have a pot at goal?  Polworth has scored just 3 from 34 starts. He’s another you can’t fault for effort, but he really should be scoring more than that. 

I think snorbens answered that pretty much how I would have. A lot of the time yesterday we got bogged down without the midfielders getting a sight of goal apart from one from Vigurs which was from about 35 yrs out. The rest of the time the game plan seemed to be punting it up to Oakley, presumably under Robbo's instructions, which kind of indicates that he has faith in this system, or that he has no other options this season.

26 minutes ago, NorthStandNoob said:

 

If we got more crosses in from out wide I think he'd create more and have more impact. It's not like he's missing sitters and getting chance after chance on a plate.

 

Sadly, he was missing sitters earlier in the season against lesser sides in the League Cup. Either weakly hitting the keeper or missing the target completely. He'd probably do a job for us in League 1 but if we have aspirations to be challenging next year we'll need much better. All of the top 5 or 6 sides have somebody that knows where the net is but in common with Brechin, Dumbarton and probably Falkirk, we don't. Notwithstanding some ICT legends (Wyness, Rooney) took time to bed in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Not sure that a striker should be the first priority.  We would need to get the ball to that striker before they could do anything with it. 

Too many moves yesterday broke down 25-30 yards out, or on the wing near the corner flag.  Whenever I look at BBC text reports, the phrase "left-footed shot from Vigurs from outside the box" appears with regular monotony.

Agree about the lack of service. Again we come back to the circular argument about Doran and whether he can be the Messiah. He certainly changed the dynamic of the game simply by the panic he causes. I really don't know what Robertson sees in Chalmers. Only my view, but he's so cumbersome on the ball and stifles any attacking impetus we have.

2 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

 

Get the ball into the box somewhere between the penalty spot and the goal line, and even a plank of wood - or George :) - would score more off random rebounds than we do at the moment.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the post match comments, Ray McKinnon was complimenting the role played in midfield by Chalmers and Polworth.

Chalmers did play the ball wide for Mackay in the lead up to the goal.

We tend to do best when we move the ball forward quickly, such as in the Crusaders first half.

 

Edited by Robert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Robert said:

In the post match comments, Ray McKinnon was complimenting the role played in midfield by Chalmers and Polworth.

Chalmers did play the ball wide for Mackay in the lead up to the goal.

We tend to do best when we move the ball forward quickly, such as in the Crusaders first half.

 

Difference being,

Chalmers probably confident that Mackay would go for goal when he passed to him.

Chalmers probably confident Oakley and Bell would pass ball straight back to him when he passed to them. 

:clapoverhead:

Edited by Caman
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheMantis said:

I really don't know what Robertson sees in Chalmers. Only my view, but he's so cumbersome on the ball and stifles any attacking impetus we have.

No doubt he's technically poor and slows us down, but he can bring stability to the midfield 3 where the other 2 are both a bit maverick. Somebody has to hang around and mop up when Polly bombs forward or when Vigurs goes to ground. I think Trafford was signed to do that but he gives the ball away constantly whereas Chalmers at least seems to have mastered the 5 yard sideways pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CaleyD said:

The last striker that people on CTO condemned as not good enough scored a double for Morton yesterday...taking one of the teams we're chasing 3 points further away from us.

Just think on that for a bit!

But it was Brechin, And he's scord twice for us against them!    Have to comment on the ' Strikers' the lack of service to them is glaring and has been for a while,  Mulraney has completely lost his mojo, he was hopless yesterday, Chalmers is wasted of an ICT strip and has never had a mojo.  Doran needs to start with young Mackey, he might play off Oakley rather than headless chicken Bell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, caley100 said:

But it was Brechin, And he's scord twice for us against them!    Have to comment on the ' Strikers' the lack of service to them is glaring and has been for a while,  Mulraney has completely lost his mojo, he was hopless yesterday, Chalmers is wasted of an ICT strip and has never had a mojo.  Doran needs to start with young Mackey, he might play off Oakley rather than headless chicken Bell.

My brakes are in need of attention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a numbers game and balancing the books. Punt a few players from one position to bring in another of higher quality and pedigree on that money. For example if we budget £1500pw for 3 strikers, bring in 1 at £1k, 1 at £500 and then a youth player - better than just 3 at £500. Gives improved quality, still a back up gamble and the opportunity for development of our own internal talent. 

This needs to be the philosophy across the team - we will hopefully have a stronger 11, but trade off with a weaker squad taking the punt on our youngsters to step up to the challenge.

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Caman said:

IMO they bumbled about today and looked third rate. Should they be binned at end of the season?

Mackay and Austin up front on Tuesday night for me. 

Bell - He has lost interest and no longer wants to be here. Goodbye by end of April. 

Oakley - Needs the right kind of guy beside him. Contract to January 2019. 

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Caman said:

IMO they bumbled about today and looked third rate. Should they be binned at end of the season?

Mackay and Austin up front on Tuesday night for me. 

Think you will find Oakley is working off next to f***k all at the moment.

Absolutely no service from the wide areas and very little support , looks very isolated chasing down lost causes .

Could understand the discord if he was missing chance after chance but that's not the case as we create very little in the way of clear cut chances.

 

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bdu98196 said:

Its a numbers game and balancing the books. Punt a few players from one position to bring in another of higher quality and pedigree on that money. For example if we budget £1500pw for 3 strikers, bring in 1 at £1k, 1 at £500 and then a youth player - better than just 3 at £500. Gives improved quality, still a back up gamble and the opportunity for development of our own internal talent. 

This needs to be the philosophy across the team - we will hopefully have a stronger 11, but trade off with a weaker squad taking the punt on our youngsters to step up to the challenge.

This 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish to defend Mr Oakley he is young, still learning and in my opinion will only get better in time. Iam convinced he will improve

 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to defend oakley. I thought the two centre half's were troubled by his physical presence yesterday. 

I think the bigger issue is polworths decision making. Very slow passes very slow decisions meant when runsby oakley or bell or mulreany were made they were missed.

on mulreany stinker yesterday how much was due to Seedorf service and positioning?

Dumbartons mom for me was right back hewasvery good.

Interested to see our team on tuesday.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.