Sign in to follow this  
Caman

5th Place

I think becoming part time would only really happen if we were to be relegated into league one. Even then I think we would give it a one year push at full time to try and get us back up before fully committing. 

I can see us being a mid table championship side for the foreseeable future with the occasional good cup run thrown in.

Certainly don't want to go down that road. That's why I'm willing to pay same price for my 2 season tickets (one being for Junior Caman) again next season. I was at Hampden on the peak on 31/03/15. Was also at the trough at Dunfermline 5-1 loss on 12/08/17. Let's get our club out of this situation by backing them now and next season. 

:ictscarf:

• Agree 2

This thread looks to me to have been taken overt by Lord Haw Haw and his doom and gloom fraternity, designed to cause fear trepidation  despondency and the demise of our great Club.

Come on lads and lasses do we really fold this easily ? The season isn't over yet we can still believe can't we??

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Facepalm 1

Hope for the best, sure...but be prepared for the alternative.

• Sad 1

On 4/1/2018 at 12:20 PM, CaleyD said:

My fear is that we don't/won't have the resources to maintain the personnel we have, let alone build on it, in the Championship next season.

Factor in that many of the cuts that were needed (and which we were mislead into believing had been made) didn't happen...hence the need for the substantial "gifts".

Can't see that money coming in again, nevermind it being increased to fund improvements for next season....so really hard cuts WILL be needed next season.

This is my fear ... scratch that ... my expectation :sad:

On this forum and through the board announcements to the public/club website, we all know that there is a huge funding gap ... even with championship season 1 parachute payment, current season ticket prices.

In that climate, where championship season 2 is likely to bring in less money (less parachute payment for a start), how can any fan with full brain function expect the football standard / league position to be maintained / bettered while simultaneously enjoying a reduction in season ticket prices? I mean ... really??

When the time comes around I'd be willing to pay the same season ticket price again. If there is a reduction, I'll just have to go nuts in the club shop again next season. :crazy: 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

If we win our games in hand and match Dunfermlines results, and beat them we will finish above them. That’s a fact. If you accept say UTD finish 3rd, that leaves Morton also in the race, who we have 2 games in hand on and we are yet to play them too although need a goal difference swing.

The return to the SPL is still possible, but I am wary of too many ‘ands’ in the same sentence being a Scotland fan!!

• Agree 1

I'm thinking the same thoughts but it's utter madness. Take Brechin out of the equation (since we don't play them again) and we've won 6 out of 23. We basically need to win the same number in the remaining 7. 

• Agree 5
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Northern_jaggie said:

The return to the SPL is still possible

* pedant alert *

The return to the SPL is indeed impossible I'm afraid.

* end pedant alert *

• Agree 3

I believe ICT wages not just the players are not the highest in the Championship , ( from what I have gathered )  ,  I was associated with a part time outfit in Lancashire and I was amazed just how much part timers who are good players can earn

Well over 30 years ago I knew one player who was on £400 a week plus bonuses . He was one of my fire fighters.  His wage in the fire service was  well less than £80 a week. 

Sure there may be some savings in wages , but I don't think it will be great.   I remember my boyhood team Bury when it was threatened with administration  and a winding up court case ,  (they won the case as the judge ruled the  financial problems were the owners, not the club's). Anyway the upshot was  that Bury signed two part timers from Altringham , a Conference side at the time; who turned out to be the best players at the club. They signed full time contracts after a while. They left later on when their contracts ran out and joined Rotherham in the English Championship.  My point is there are a lot of fine footballers  and coaches who are in the part time ranks, but they wont come cheap.

4 hours ago, Laurence said:

I believe ICT wages not just the players are not the highest in the Championship , ( from what I have gathered )  ,  I was associated with a part time outfit in Lancashire and I was amazed just how much part timers who are good players can earn

Well over 30 years ago I knew one player who was on £400 a week plus bonuses . He was one of my fire fighters.  His wage in the fire service was  well less than £80 a week. 

Sure there may be some savings in wages , but I don't think it will be great.   I remember my boyhood team Bury when it was threatened with administration  and a winding up court case ,  (they won the case as the judge ruled the  financial problems were the owners, not the club's). Anyway the upshot was  that Bury signed two part timers from Altringham , a Conference side at the time; who turned out to be the best players at the club. They signed full time contracts after a while. They left later on when their contracts ran out and joined Rotherham in the English Championship.  My point is there are a lot of fine footballers  and coaches who are in the part time ranks, but they wont come cheap.

........ and why should they when their earnings from part-time footie plus their job is more than they could get from full-time with ICT.

Prize money figures.  Let's get as high up this league as possible!!!

Championship
1st - £533,000 (2.25%)
2nd - £450,000 (1.9%)
3rd - £379,000 (1.6%)
4th - £308,000 (1.3%)
5th - £237,000 (1.0%)
6th - £213,000 (0.9%)
7th - £201,000 (0.85%)
8th - £190,000 (0.80%)
9th - £178,000 (0.75%)
10th - £166,000 (0.7%)

Read more at https://spfl.co.uk/news/article/record-prize-money-for-spfl-clubs/#wPxUGtsgGSf23yle.99

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Hard to believe, but given the current good run since the Irn-Bru cup win, we have a (very faint) chance of 4th place, I think.

Credit to the team for the current run, especially given the awful start - the cup win has helped kick us on (we would have lost that game tonight earlier in the season).

Yes, I know that it's nigh-on impossible to win promotion through the playoffs (especially from 3rd/4th) & that even if we did finish 4th (a huge ask) & get to the playoff final (another huge ask) & that the 2nd bottom team in the premier would probably be too strong & that we almost certainly aren't ready for the premier anyway, I'm just celebrating the fact that there is still a very slim chance of this happening at all & that we aren't 'doing a Dunfermline' & going down twice! 

If we did achieve anything more than safety in the Championship this season, I'd argue that it would be up there with anything the club has achieved before...

Edited by jingsmonty
Additional text
  • Agree 3

The extra income from finishing in a play-off position and the extra revenue from play-off games would be welcome, however, I really don't think we are ready to make that step back into the SPL. Quite simply, we can't afford it and haven't go the player for that level :ponder:

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gringo said:

The extra income from finishing in a play-off position and the extra revenue from play-off games would be welcome, however, I really don't think we are ready to make that step back into the SPL. Quite simply, we can't afford it and haven't go the player for that level :ponder:

I wouldn't disagree with that, to be honest...but the same was said in 2004...I' d be thrilled if we even GOT to the playoffs, regardless of what happenes after that..

You never know though...how about a Highland Derby playoff final?:ictscarf::clapoverhead:

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Gringo said:

Without getting into all the ifs, buts and various scenarios.....a season back up, even if we were to be relegated straight away again, would be better for the club (financially) than another season in the Championship.

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, CaleyThistle said:

So we can't afford to go up, can't afford to stay down...which is it?

The real worry would be if the answer to that question were to be "both".

Another season in the Championship, where league placing payments alone are about £1M less than in the Premiership, carries obvious difficulties. Promotion for a single season, as CaleyD points out, would indeed bring in more money than staying put. However the longer term effect of another, immediate relegation, should promotion come before the club was ready for it, could also come with it difficulties.

I think if we achieved the impossible and got promotion  the team could survive.  It might take a lot of bus parking and fighting for dear life, but it could be done with some polishing up of our weaknesses

We gave Dundee a hard time in the cup over two games.  I wouldn't right us off just yet.

In any event if we start next season as we look to be finishing this one,  ICT could  do very well in the Championship  next season .   We have to be optimistic in football

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Perhaps I'm just still a single overly negative supporter and while the run we are on its showing some promise, which may yet take us to a decide against Morton on the final game but I expect to drop points before then and damage the chances - we still need results in our favour. While its great to see the positivity and fans getting behind the team, making the play-offs isn't an achievement, its a failure and disappointment - through which even if we had fortune with injuries, suspensions and other results to make it all the way through to promotion it puts us in a poor position for next season.

We have seen before that teams who wrap up the title or know they are going up can prepare with players and get deals done in advance, we would have another 3-4wks of games and the uncertainty it brings. Players we could have been interested in may have gone elsewhere, including those we still have - most likely we will end up trying to keep what we can and I know some would be delighted if County went down and we took ex-players back (McKay, Draper etc). For me, the whole fiasco from the summer is still haunting us and will continue to do so for many seasons - if we don't go up we need to cut our cloth accordingly making next year harder still in the Championship, if we do go up the squad we want to assemble for Premiership may not be possible with the lack of planning & time with us fighting all season for survival or worse another relegation. 

Some positive shoots, but a long way off where we should have expected to be. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Laurence, I agree with what you say. there are a nucleus of players within the Team now that could perform at a higher level, a few crucial additions plus a good preseason could see us battling it out and winning enough games to stay up should we be fortunate enough to reach our current goal. Your positive attitude and belief on this is what is required by all of us to encourage the team to maintain their present commitment to accomplish what they set out to do.

I say keep it up lads, It is extremely difficult but you are capable of doing what some are saying is impossible. Sometimes it doesn't sound like it given the flack you receive caused through their frustration but the Fans are all behind you.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, bdu98196 said:

Perhaps I'm just still a single overly negative supporter and while the run we are on its showing some promise, which may yet take us to a decide against Morton on the final game but I expect to drop points before then and damage the chances - we still need results in our favour. While its great to see the positivity and fans getting behind the team, making the play-offs isn't an achievement, its a failure and disappointment - through which even if we had fortune with injuries, suspensions and other results to make it all the way through to promotion it puts us in a poor position for next season.

We have seen before that teams who wrap up the title or know they are going up can prepare with players and get deals done in advance, we would have another 3-4wks of games and the uncertainty it brings. Players we could have been interested in may have gone elsewhere, including those we still have - most likely we will end up trying to keep what we can and I know some would be delighted if County went down and we took ex-players back (McKay, Draper etc). For me, the whole fiasco from the summer is still haunting us and will continue to do so for many seasons - if we don't go up we need to cut our cloth accordingly making next year harder still in the Championship, if we do go up the squad we want to assemble for Premiership may not be possible with the lack of planning & time with us fighting all season for survival or worse another relegation. 

Some positive shoots, but a long way off where we should have expected to be. 

The ICT team that won the cup, fisished 3rd in the Premier league is gone....it's history. Great history & times I'll never forget, but bears very little resemblance to the team we have now. What we have now (without trying to sound too pretentious...) is the beginnings of a new team, rising like a phoenix from the ashes of relegation & turmoil.

Please stop comparing the current team to what we had in the not-too distant past. They are (apart from a few exceptions) completely different entities.

We need to make NEW memories, instead of harking back to the past. Winning the Irn-Bru cup is a start & I'll stand by what I said & say that if we make the playoffs, it'll be one if our club's finest achievements.

• Agree 2

40 minutes ago, jingsmonty said:

The ICT team that won the cup, fisished 3rd in the Premier league is gone....it's history. Great history & times I'll never forget, but bears very little resemblance to the team we have now. What we have now (without trying to sound too pretentious...) is the beginnings of a new team, rising like a phoenix from the ashes of relegation & turmoil.

Please stop comparing the current team to what we had in the not-too distant past. They are (apart from a few exceptions) completely different entities.

We need to make NEW memories, instead of harking back to the past. Winning the Irn-Bru cup is a start & I'll stand by what I said & say that if we make the playoffs, it'll be one if our club's finest achievements.

Please highlight exactly where I have compared this team to teams of the past? I am stating the fact that the mess created during the summer will have a lasting legacy for not just this but future seasons and that finishing 5th or even the play-offs is a poor return for this season and should not be considered as a dawn of a golden new era but as the abject failings and shortfall that it is.