Sign in to follow this  
Caman

5th Place

Talking Draper and Billy McKay back from Country is not going to help even if we had the money! Billy McKay was no help last season and he only scored his second goal for County last week! I would rather see Daniel Mackay. 

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, IBM said:

Talking Draper and Billy McKay back from Country is not going to help even if we had the money! Billy McKay was no help last season and he only scored his second goal for County last week! I would rather see Daniel Mackay. 

I second that. Give the lad a proper chance instead of just these 10 minute cameos.  Re Billy, I cannot believe that anyone would seriously want him back.  He has been overrated for years in my opinion.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, bdu98196 said:

Please highlight exactly where I have compared this team to teams of the past? I am stating the fact that the mess created during the summer will have a lasting legacy for not just this but future seasons and that finishing 5th or even the play-offs is a poor return for this season and should not be considered as a dawn of a golden new era but as the abject failings and shortfall that it is.

It's just a general observation that people seem to be expecting us just to pick up where we left off, like we did last time we were relegated. Speaking about the team (& not the board, etc), if we make the playoffs, that will be one hell of an achievment, given that it would have been done with an almost entirely new (much poorer resourced) squad & in spite of the machinations behind the scenes.

Nobody (least of all me!) is saying everything would be rosy if we did, somehow, manage to go up via the playoffs - I'd worry that it would merely paper over the cracks - but, I'm speaking specifically about the team. Robbo & the guys who wear the top deserve us to be supportive! They are doing us proud just now!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Please highlight exactly where I have compared this team to teams of the past? I am stating the fact that the mess created during the summer will have a lasting legacy for not just this but future seasons and that finishing 5th or even the play-offs is a poor return for this season and should not be considered as a dawn of a golden new era but as the abject failings and shortfall that it is.

I could ask 'what did you expect this season' after all that happened last summer? We need to just get behind Robbo & the guys just now & keep pushing. A good season this season, to me is not going down again - just ask Dunfermline & also look at St Mirren....almost league 1 this season, now Premier league next season!

It's a fair point about the 'behind the scenes' stuff, but surely that's better dealt with close season? Personally, I've been quite happy with Graeme Rae's tenure as chairman - it's not a quick fix, it's about building proper foundations.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, jingsmonty said:

I could ask 'what did you expect this season' after all that happened last summer? We need to just get behind Robbo & the guys just now & keep pushing. A good season this season, to me is not going down again - just ask Dunfermline & also look at St Mirren....almost league 1 this season, now Premier league next season!

It's a fair point about the 'behind the scenes' stuff, but surely that's better dealt with close season? Personally, I've been quite happy with Graeme Rae's tenure as chairman - it's not a quick fix, it's about building proper foundations.

Tbh I expected way better from us this season really thought we'd be slugging it out for the title surely our budgets bigger than likes of Livi! Some of our performances would've put an insomniac to sleep! But wer still in with a shout of play offs hopefully get there even less of a budget next season!

• Agree 2
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, IBM said:

I agree. Personally,  I think we had the best years out of Draper and Mckay, even Tansey. Only Christie and Watkins have improved/prospered after leaving us. 

Anyway, back to what this Topic is about. 

Glad we're up to 6th, still hoping for the off chance of 4th, but realistically think we'll finish 5th. :ictscarf:

Edited by Caman

17 hours ago, jingsmonty said:

Expectations for the season were that as a team relegated with the parachute payment from the Premiership and one of the top player budgets in the league was to be competitive & fighting for the title, not celebrating the fact that we have been horrific with no goals or creativity and excluding our league successes over Brechin have pretty average stats at best - yet somehow are still stumbling towards a potential play-off place (miracle). Using St Mirren or Dunfermline as examples is great, but these are clubs with bigger fan bases who have shown that if you don't bounce back up will end up struggling for years - both clubs are successful now due to whole board changes and investment, with fans coming back and being excited by the management, philosophy and young players - where can anyone see this happening for ICT in the near future?

The point about 'close season' is that the mess was made last year (changes this year wont help that). Other than a few well worded statements what has Graeme Rae done to impress more than any previous members - board members have come and gone without clarity, he's made the 'right' noises but where is his plan if we don't go up this year? Statements regarding losses & the financial position need to be addressed and as paying fans we have the right to know what is going to be on offer in order to encourage parting with money for next season - if we are not serious about building a team capable of promotion then costs need to be addressed accordingly. What are the 'foundations' you refer to - where are these being implemented - what will increase footfall and ultimately revenue, as neither Robbo or the playing squad excite currently &  where's the investment coming from or going to - we still lag behind at youth level - that's the future, but probably 5 years from now at least if its done right. 

Edited by bdu98196
pedantics
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Expectations for the season were that as a team relegated with the windfall payment from the Premiership and one of the top player budgets in the league was to be competitive & fighting for the title, not celebrating the fact that we have been horrific with no goals or creativity and excluding our league successes over Brechin have pretty average stats at best - yet somehow are still stumbling towards a potential play-off place (miracle). Using St Mirren or Dunfermline as examples is great, but these are clubs with bigger fan bases who have shown that if you don't bounce back up will end up struggling for years - both clubs are successful now due to whole board changes and investment, with fans coming back and being excited by the management, philosophy and young players - where can anyone see this happening for ICT in the near future?

The point about 'close season' is that the mess was made last year (changes this year wont help that). Other than a few well worded statements what has Graeme Rae done to impress more than any previous members - board members have come and gone without clarity, he's made the 'right' noises but where is his plan if we don't go up this year? Statements regarding losses & the financial position need to be addressed and as paying fans we have the right to know what is going to be on offer in order to encourage parting with money for next season - if we are not serious about building a team capable of promotion then costs need to be addressed accordingly. What are the 'foundations' you refer to - where are these being implemented - what will increase footfall and ultimately revenue, as neither Robbo or the playing squad excite currently &  where's the investment coming from or going to - we still lag behind at youth level - that's the future, but probably 5 years from now at least if its done right. 

I rather think you overstate the benefit of the 'parachute' payment (it's not a windfall, anything but) which is worth £300K to us this season and £150K next, when had we stayed up we would have seen something like £1M. So the benefit to a SPL team dropping to the Championship is pretty insignificant compared to an EPL team dropping to the English Championship (£200M over three years). In addition  it seems we have spent the previous seasons running at a deficit. We went down because in part we were in disarray with a Manager probably out of his depth (certainly inexperienced) and who, I suspect, didn't have the backing of all of his players (or the fans). Also we had lost over the previous two seasons, really decent players in Christie, Shinnie, Tansey, Watkins, Draper, Meekings, with the prolific Billy McKay from his first stint never fully replaced, having not retained Storey from the previous season or Fisher at the end of the last, even guys like Doran had spent all last season injured.

So in reality we were relegated running a deficit, with a large reduction in TV money expected, with already shrinking attendance/gate money likely to be reduced further (with no juicy Derbies or Old Firm matches to boost attendances), a demoralised squad, manager (who was sacked), and fan base, a 1st team squad pretty much stripped of it's leading lights (with further reductions due to cost saving) , and from the looks of it, issues at Board level. So in reality not the base from which we should have had much expectation.....Hope is not the same as Expectation.

If we were to get into the play-offs or just fail, but largely maintain our recent form/results , I would argue that actually we have done as well as could be expected. Indeed from the way the squad is starting to shape up, with very positive contributions from guys like Donaldson, Tremarco, Polworth, (a finally fit) Doran, Vigurs and good cameo's from Mackay (and Bell) and plenty of useful and encouraging performances across the team, plus the Challenge Cup win as a fillip, we are actually in a decent place. I can't really comment on our off-the-field state, as I don't have enough information, but my overall impression is that the Board have done a decent enough job of steadying the ship, and safeguarding the future, and improving a little on communication.

I suspect that another season in the Championship with hopefully the appearance of a regular goal scorer, will benefit the younger and more inexperienced players further, seeing stronger overall team performances, and thus leading us to do a 'St Mirren' gaining automatic promotion and a more genuine chance of then staying up. That's still Hope by the way, but perhaps with a bit more Expectation

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

38 minutes ago, Eagle4Caley said:

I can't really comment on our off-the-field state, as I don't have enough information, but my overall impression is that the Board have done a decent enough job of steadying the ship, and safeguarding the future, and improving a little on communication.

I'd be interested in knowing what it is the board have done that gives you this impression.

"taking Draper and Mckay back from County"

What planet are people on?  Why would we "take" them back?  County apparently paid £100,000 for Draper, are we going to phone up and ask for him back?

Also, we don't have to just keep signing the same players.  We can sign new players. 

• Agree 5
  • Facepalm 1

Ashes and Phoenix rising  come to mind - To me Morton ( other than St. Mirren  ) argue ally   the best team  seen at our gaff this season, I suppose they are favourites for second place and divisional play-off winners . I see no reason to not to be as good as them.  It is not all doom and gloom.

Anyway I am away to Aintree , and the south for a while   A family matter to attend to, which involves a black suit and tie.

13 hours ago, Eagle4Caley said:

I rather think you overstate the benefit of the 'parachute' payment (it's not a windfall, anything but) which is worth £300K to us this season and £150K next, when had we stayed up we would have seen something like £1M. So the benefit to a SPL team dropping to the Championship is pretty insignificant compared to an EPL team dropping to the English Championship (£200M over three years). In addition  it seems we have spent the previous seasons running at a deficit. We went down because in part we were in disarray with a Manager probably out of his depth (certainly inexperienced) and who, I suspect, didn't have the backing of all of his players (or the fans).

Can't agree with that. The fans while somewhat surprised were very supportive of RF and wanted him to succeed.  If anything I'd say we were too lenient on him because of who he was. 

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Fraz said:

Can't agree with that. The fans while somewhat surprised were very supportive of RF and wanted him to succeed.  If anything I'd say we were too lenient on him because of who he was. 

Couldn't agree more, many on this forum campaigned for him as manager whilst the incumbent manager was still in place, to their eternal shame.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Fraz said:

I think that was true at the start of the campaign, but I don't think it was come the turn of the year

• Disagree 1

20 hours ago, Eagle4Caley said:

I rather think you overstate the benefit of the 'parachute' payment (it's not a windfall, anything but) which is worth £300K to us this season and £150K next, when had we stayed up we would have seen something like £1M. So the benefit to a SPL team dropping to the Championship is pretty insignificant compared to an EPL team dropping to the English Championship (£200M over three years). In addition  it seems we have spent the previous seasons running at a deficit. We went down because in part we were in disarray with a Manager probably out of his depth (certainly inexperienced) and who, I suspect, didn't have the backing of all of his players (or the fans). Also we had lost over the previous two seasons, really decent players in Christie, Shinnie, Tansey, Watkins, Draper, Meekings, with the prolific Billy McKay from his first stint never fully replaced, having not retained Storey from the previous season or Fisher at the end of the last, even guys like Doran had spent all last season injured.

So in reality we were relegated running a deficit, with a large reduction in TV money expected, with already shrinking attendance/gate money likely to be reduced further (with no juicy Derbies or Old Firm matches to boost attendances), a demoralised squad, manager (who was sacked), and fan base, a 1st team squad pretty much stripped of it's leading lights (with further reductions due to cost saving) , and from the looks of it, issues at Board level. So in reality not the base from which we should have had much expectation.....Hope is not the same as Expectation.

If we were to get into the play-offs or just fail, but largely maintain our recent form/results , I would argue that actually we have done as well as could be expected. Indeed from the way the squad is starting to shape up, with very positive contributions from guys like Donaldson, Tremarco, Polworth, (a finally fit) Doran, Vigurs and good cameo's from Mackay (and Bell) and plenty of useful and encouraging performances across the team, plus the Challenge Cup win as a fillip, we are actually in a decent place. I can't really comment on our off-the-field state, as I don't have enough information, but my overall impression is that the Board have done a decent enough job of steadying the ship, and safeguarding the future, and improving a little on communication.

I suspect that another season in the Championship with hopefully the appearance of a regular goal scorer, will benefit the younger and more inexperienced players further, seeing stronger overall team performances, and thus leading us to do a 'St Mirren' gaining automatic promotion and a more genuine chance of then staying up. That's still Hope by the way, but perhaps with a bit more Expectation

That's pretty much what I was trying to say, but better put! Realistic expectations....

7 hours ago, wynthank15 said:

Couldn't agree more, many on this forum campaigned for him as manager whilst the incumbent manager was still in place, to their eternal shame.

Is that while said incumbent was making attack after attack of the clubs budget and board, while alienating many of its players and bringing in duds like Liam Hughes and Dani Lopez?

• Agree 3

On 12/04/2018 at 9:04 AM, bdu98196 said:

Expectations for the season were that as a team relegated with the parachute payment from the Premiership and one of the top player budgets in the league was to be competitive & fighting for the title, not celebrating the fact that we have been horrific with no goals or creativity and excluding our league successes over Brechin have pretty average stats at best - yet somehow are still stumbling towards a potential play-off place (miracle). Using St Mirren or Dunfermline as examples is great, but these are clubs with bigger fan bases who have shown that if you don't bounce back up will end up struggling for years - both clubs are successful now due to whole board changes and investment, with fans coming back and being excited by the management, philosophy and young players - where can anyone see this happening for ICT in the near future?

Excellent post imho 

• Thanks 1

On 12/04/2018 at 10:33 AM, CaleyD said:

I'd be interested in knowing what it is the board have done that gives you this impression.

I would say from the way they have ensured key players have been signed up for contracts longer than a year, (1 year contracts gave us a few problems under the last regime), they have at the same time trimmed the higher earners from the squad, sensibly cutting  the cloth to suit our reduced financial circumstances. They seem to have been active in the community with initiatives around the City and support for the Inverness Stadium Development Project (which has seen that awful portakabin removed for a proper shop) and they seem to have been active in looking to secure the ownership/use of the Stadium. And I feel they have made honest attempts to communicate better with supporters. I can't say whether financially they are really on top of things, that I think that will become more apparent over the summer and next season.

There were a few own goals dealing with players and fans over last Summer which I put down a little to the transition going on. I can't say they're perfect, I don't think any board is (certaintly not Palace's), but I don't see any obvious agenda other than working to maintain the club and secure it's future. Having supported Palace for 40 odd years and seen us go into administration 3 (THREE) times. the last time in 2010 we nearly disappeared completely, I am acutely aware of the tightrope that running a football club is. Therefore the first priority is the maintain the existance of the club before moving on to more grandiose things, and I feel the board are working sensibly on this, next year will be key to what the short term future looks like

2 hours ago, Eagle4Caley said:

I would say from the way they have ensured key players have been signed up for contracts longer than a year, (1 year contracts gave us a few problems under the last regime), they have at the same time trimmed the higher earners from the squad, sensibly cutting  the cloth to suit our reduced financial circumstances. They seem to have been active in the community with initiatives around the City and support for the Inverness Stadium Development Project (which has seen that awful portakabin removed for a proper shop) and they seem to have been active in looking to secure the ownership/use of the Stadium. And I feel they have made honest attempts to communicate better with supporters. I can't say whether financially they are really on top of things, that I think that will become more apparent over the summer and next season.

There were a few own goals dealing with players and fans over last Summer which I put down a little to the transition going on. I can't say they're perfect, I don't think any board is (certaintly not Palace's), but I don't see any obvious agenda other than working to maintain the club and secure it's future. Having supported Palace for 40 odd years and seen us go into administration 3 (THREE) times. the last time in 2010 we nearly disappeared completely, I am acutely aware of the tightrope that running a football club is. Therefore the first priority is the maintain the existance of the club before moving on to more grandiose things, and I feel the board are working sensibly on this, next year will be key to what the short term future looks like

Thanks for the reply and it confirms my worries.....that the current board are being given credit for things which aren't of their doing and avoiding responsibility for things which are.

1. In regards to player contracts.  The board are not responsible for agreeing player contracts/recruitment, that falls to the manager.

2. The board are responsible for setting budgets, and the budgets they set for this season were such that they had to go out with the begging bowl to secure £450,000 of investment.  On top of that they have, fairly recently, issued a statement saying that more money is needed.  I'm not sure they could claim to have sensibly cut the cloth!

3.  I can't think of any new community initiatives they have been responsible for.  Granted, they did turn up once for a photo opportunity at walking football.  ICT Community Development is a separate organisation operating alongside the club and is not under the auspices of the club board.

4.  The Inverness Stadium Development Project had nothing whatsoever to do with the removal of the portakabin.  They did a bit of power washing/tidying up around the stadium and not much else.  The facebook page also seems to have gone quiet of late.

5.  As I've stated before, the new shop was in the "nice to have" category and a quick hit for the new regime to get fans on side.  The reality is that, as far as I can ascertain, it has done nothing to improve income.  It's also had massively disruptive knock-on effects as 5 members of staff were displaced and some didn't have desks to work from.  They were also spread around the stadium, which made day to day operations less streamlined and efficient.

6.  The deal to return ownership of the stadium and leases to the club was all agreed and ready to be signed off before the current board were in place.  In fact, it is they who have delayed it's completion (it's still not a done deal) and in the process they have taken a deal that would have cost the club £1 a year and turned it into one which will cost the club £30,000 a year (as confirmed by Graham Rae at the AGM).  The writing off of historic rent arrears was agreed under the previous chairman.

7.  Honest attempts to communicate, or not, they haven't delivered on many promises made and have alienated a good many fans with the nature of some of their statements.

• Confused 1

The main concern for me would be no.7 and the justification for keeping season ticket pricing the same at the start of the season.  This was to give John all the resources needed to push for promotion.  I feel that communications over season ticket pricing will suffer from a once bitten, twice shy effect.  Crowds are off a cliff and many a season ticket holder that feels hoodwinked might not be so keen to rally again.  If we do end up promoted/play offs that will all be moot, had there not been a resurgence such a claim might have been scrutinised more closely.

15 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

Thanks for the reply and it confirms my worries.....that the current board are being given credit for things which aren't of their doing and avoiding responsibility for things which are.

1. In regards to player contracts.  The board are not responsible for agreeing player contracts/recruitment, that falls to the manager.

2. The board are responsible for setting budgets, and the budgets they set for this season were such that they had to go out with the begging bowl to secure £450,000 of investment.  On top of that they have, fairly recently, issued a statement saying that more money is needed.  I'm not sure they could claim to have sensibly cut the cloth!

3.  I can't think of any new community initiatives they have been responsible for.  Granted, they did turn up once for a photo opportunity at walking football.  ICT Community Development is a separate organisation operating alongside the club and is not under the auspices of the club board.

4.  The Inverness Stadium Development Project had nothing whatsoever to do with the removal of the portakabin.  They did a bit of power washing/tidying up around the stadium and not much else.  The facebook page also seems to have gone quiet of late.

5.  As I've stated before, the new shop was in the "nice to have" category and a quick hit for the new regime to get fans on side.  The reality is that, as far as I can ascertain, it has done nothing to improve income.  It's also had massively disruptive knock-on effects as 5 members of staff were displaced and some didn't have desks to work from.  They were also spread around the stadium, which made day to day operations less streamlined and efficient.

6.  The deal to return ownership of the stadium and leases to the club was all agreed and ready to be signed off before the current board were in place.  In fact, it is they who have delayed it's completion (it's still not a done deal) and in the process they have taken a deal that would have cost the club £1 a year and turned it into one which will cost the club £30,000 a year (as confirmed by Graham Rae at the AGM).  The writing off of historic rent arrears was agreed under the previous chairman.

7.  Honest attempts to communicate, or not, they haven't delivered on many promises made and have alienated a good many fans with the nature of some of their statements.

I don't want to go into a massive debate about every aspect, because as I said it is just my impression, however with regard to your comment on players contracts, your contention would surprise many of us who also follow the EPL....at Palace the manager definitely doesn't have the final say on the length and size of contracts, in fact the intervention (or often the lack of) by the Palace board in player recruitment has been a massive talking point amonmgst fans and indeed by some former managers!. as for item 2, I would expect the board to set budgets based on various assumptions or planning, some of which may or may not have to be revisited, this certainly isn't unique to ICT. My view on how much the club has been involved locally is only based on articles in the Courier and the club's website. As for the club shop, it's still an improvement which previous regimes hadn't managed. As for 7. it's never possible to please everybody and I would certainly accept mistakes have been made.

37 minutes ago, Eagle4Caley said:

I don't want to go into a massive debate about every aspect, because as I said it is just my impression, however with regard to your comment on players contracts, your contention would surprise many of us who also follow the EPL....at Palace the manager definitely doesn't have the final say on the length and size of contracts, in fact the intervention (or often the lack of) by the Palace board in player recruitment has been a massive talking point amonmgst fans and indeed by some former managers!. as for item 2, I would expect the board to set budgets based on various assumptions or planning, some of which may or may not have to be revisited, this certainly isn't unique to ICT. My view on how much the club has been involved locally is only based on articles in the Courier and the club's website. As for the club shop, it's still an improvement which previous regimes hadn't managed. As for 7. it's never possible to please everybody and I would certainly accept mistakes have been made.

Not looking for a massive debate on anything. As someone who's not local I am genuinely interested in how your impression of things has/is being formed.

As I was responsible for all content that went on to the website until mid February, then it does surprise me that you find anything on there that indicates an improvement in the boards community involvement.  ICTFC has always been very active in the community and, admittedly, has never been the best at blowing it's own trumpet in that regard...but that's not changed this season.  I'm now wondering if the reduction in newspaper coverage for a team that was in the premiership, but now isn't, means that people are actively looking for/at the website etc more and now seeing what was always there?

The shop is a massive improvement on what was there before, no doubt about it....but at what cost?  I wouldn't expect the board to be coming out and telling people that they didn't factor in all the knock on effects and negative impact it's had on the club's day to day operations...afterall, it was a project undertaken to make them look good.  In that regard, a success on their part.

Again, having had some insight into how ICTFC has operated for a number of years....handling of player contracts has depended on the manager/chairman/ceo/board dynamic.  At the moment we have a Chairman/Board who have zero experience in handling player contracts, so it's probably no bad thing that they have no say beyond ensuring the manager remains within his playing budget.

On 12/04/2018 at 11:42 PM, wynthank15 said:

Eternal. That seems a harshly long time for such an error.

What stands out for me is the straightforward fact that what comes  across  in letters writ large is the fact that there is either little or no money available to the club at this time.  But also that there are no wealthy sponsors around who are willing to help out financially or commit  to the club on a long-term monetary basis to match any strategy that could help the club at this difficult time.

So that the club, as Caley D rightly says, has tried to do the best it can to spruce up the image  by changing the  shop to represent at least a more pleasing image to the paying  public ---  who are of course the root source of current income. In a situation like that  it's rational that "needs must when the monetary devil drives" and so some discombobulation appears to have been initiated in the lives of staff members at their workplace within the stadium.

As far as I can see, intuitively, it looks as if  there will be no short term fix for the remainder of this season and moaning about it won't alter a thing. Personally, I think the sprucing-up of the shop is an excellent start  because, frankly, the presence and emotional comfort zone of the public is more important than the comfort of the staff because, unless we can get punters in the door and spending money, then  any  affected staff may not have a job next season or beyond.

It's time for everybody to join hands and pull together but if you think that the "high heid yins" are on the wrong track why don' t you write to them and ask questions. Like I did  to our new Chairman about continuing the match-day home game videos and get the same answer....nothing!. Yes. it's an uphill battle but onward and upward I say.

And , by the way, I think suspending fans for standing  for what, 3 months,  is insane. Initially, just send a staff person into the stands and politely remind  them to sit down . If they don't respond and repeat the behaviour just remove them until they get the message. As somebody said they are the future and  a more balanced approach might be the best strategy initially. But do it pleasantly and respect their youthful stupidity as a "right of passage". Eh? :smile:

Getting back on topic, if we win on Tuesday, we are in fifth place. Will be our highest position this season,

Edited by Robert