Sign in to follow this  
Caman

5th Place

Recommended Posts

I think that's the highest we could achieve this season. 

Only been that high up the league for a few minutes at home to QOS, until they scored and knocked us back to 6th on goal difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4th place please. :arrowup: A lot of football to be played and maybe we have a purple patch to come

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ash - the emotional swings and roundabouts of the football fan - first target is to play consistently, NOT get carried away and get clear of the play off place. once we achieve that we can consider the next "goal".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I wouldn't rule out a good climb up the table to 5th before the season ends, considering where we came from a few months ago I'd be happy with a comfortable 8th and good signs of positivity for better to come next season. The cup win was a nice bonus to cheer everyone up and knit the squad together that wee bit more to put us in a good place for the next campaign.

 

  • Agree 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems things have reached stage 3. Only depression and acceptance to go.

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

5th place and a cup win in our first season back down wouldn't be that bad actually.

Actually, considering where we were just three years ago, it is pretty bad.

That said, we are where we are. The important thing is to make sure that the downward trend has been halted and we can push on next season.

St Mirren have demonstrated this season that, with sound management, it is possible to turn things around without breaking the bank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three years ago was Dreamland - just be thankful that we lived the dream, slap yer chops, breathe in reality, stabilise the club, start dreaming again - and who Feckin knows ?

  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Three years ago was Dreamland - just be thankful that we lived the dream, slap yer chops, breathe in reality, stabilise the club, start dreaming again - and who Feckin knows ?

Wise words old Sage but in the words of Arnie we'll be back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Ten4 said:

4th place please. :arrowup: A lot of football to be played and maybe we have a purple patch to come

My hope is that the cup win will be the start of this purple patch - I wasn't at the Dundee Utd game on Tues, but was impressed that we won that ..

Very hard & congested schedule to come though & today's game is a toughie!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really hard to believe so many fans happy with a 5th place finish in the Championship after the promises and statements by members of the club during the summer and given our budget and number of Premiership 'quality' players who are failing to deliver consistently - we have enough experience to be better than where we are. The winning of a mediocre cup, while a nice bonus for fans and a bit of a confidence boost its not worth being too excited about.

The season so far and if we finish 5th or lower can only be seen as a disappointment and the start of future struggles as the chance for an immediate return and minimizing loss of revenue and fan base is missed through mismanagement off and on the field.

  • Agree 7
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All matches on the run in are winnable : I sense a new spirit following our win last week, beating the Arabs midweek and a great fightback today.

All is not yet lost.....................

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, DWH said:

All matches on the run in are winnable : I sense a new spirit following our win last week, beating the Arabs midweek and a great fightback today.

All is not yet lost.....................

We are safe from relegation  in practical terms but, while I admire your optimism, I think we have to accept that any realistic prospect of promotion this season via the play offs has gone. 

We need to concentrate now on finishing the season well, giving the fans something to cheer and preparing to hit the ground running next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like a bit of optimism, but the reality is the team and the club are not ready for promotion.  We would struggle in the top flight next season and it would be a season of gloom and doom and finger pointing etc.  Next season in the championship promises to be one of steady progress, exciting games and plenty to cheer about.  I'm looking forward to a season where we can be near the top of the league for the bulk of the season and then subsequently to get promotion at a time when we can be properly competitive in the top flight. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My fear is that we don't/won't have the resources to maintain the personnel we have, let alone build on it, in the Championship next season.

Factor in that many of the cuts that were needed (and which we were mislead into believing had been made) didn't happen...hence the need for the substantial "gifts".

Can't see that money coming in again, nevermind it being increased to fund improvements for next season....so really hard cuts WILL be needed next season.

A season to steady things would have been a wise move given the lack of funds, but that's not what Muirfield Mills aimed for, it's not what was budgeted for and it's not what was sold to fans.

We've had all the "shaking hands and kissing babies"...but Muirfield Mills have not delivered on a single meaningful promise...not one.

Why should/would fans expect it to be any different next season?

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DoofersDad said:

I like a bit of optimism, but the reality is the team and the club are not ready for promotion.  We would struggle in the top flight next season and it would be a season of gloom and doom and finger pointing etc.  Next season in the championship promises to be one of steady progress, exciting games and plenty to cheer about.  I'm looking forward to a season where we can be near the top of the league for the bulk of the season and then subsequently to get promotion at a time when we can be properly competitive in the top flight. 

I kinda agree tbh but Im not sure the accountants would! 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/03/2018 at 3:36 PM, bdu98196 said:

Really hard to believe so many fans happy with a 5th place finish in the Championship after the promises and statements by members of the club during the summer and given our budget and number of Premiership 'quality' players who are failing to deliver consistently - we have enough experience to be better than where we are. The winning of a mediocre cup, while a nice bonus for fans and a bit of a confidence boost its not worth being too excited about.

The season so far and if we finish 5th or lower can only be seen as a disappointment and the start of future struggles as the chance for an immediate return and minimizing loss of revenue and fan base is missed through mismanagement off and on the field.

I never really expected promotion this season...too much turmoil within the club at the star. The ICT team just now bears little resemblance to the ICT team in the premier (apart from a small core)...this season was always aboutas major rebuilding job & avoiding another drop (just ask any Dunfermline fan!).

If this was NEXT season, I'd be in total agreement with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By next season our budget will be even less and the footfall the same - every season we perform worse our small support will dwindle - we've seen it this season already. Couple that with the reduction in TV & competition revenue then its unlikely we will be challenging, especially as we have several players out of contract and are unlikely to be able to offer deals they will accept - meaning more new players to integrate and probably lesser quality than those going out. Get what you pay for - sometimes in business you have to speculate and gamble to get the rewards - so by having our stock in order during the summer and signing some decent quality players with a proven record we could have won this league - nobody has been very impressive or overly consistent other than St Mirren.

  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

... especially as we have several players out of contract and are unlikely to be able to offer deals they will accept

On the other hand, if we were to have a run of good results between now and the end of the season, and hauled ourselves a few places up the table, then maybe a smooth-talking manager and/or chairman might persuade some of them to stick around for another season, with a real prospect of promotion?  On one-year contracts which the club can afford.  Or is this just fanciful thinking?

Unfortunately, if we put together a run of good results, then it's more likely that these players will attract attention from elsewhere than if we just stay in 7th or 8th place.

  • Agree 1
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

We are safe from relegation  in practical terms but, while I admire your optimism, I think we have to accept that any realistic prospect of promotion this season via the play offs has gone. 

We need to concentrate now on finishing the season well, giving the fans something to cheer and preparing to hit the ground running next season.

Yes,  I do agree but I would hope the team finish on a high and although 4th is most unlikely, if we win the remainder of our matches it is not beyond the realms of possibility!

As I have said before, the really frustrating thing is that apart from St Mirren, none of the other teams are any great shakes and we have failed for the most part to take advantage of that.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know if we can still take advantage of the discount on next season's season ticket 'when we're promoted as champions'...? :rolleyes:

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Renegade said:

Anyone know if we can still take advantage of the discount on next season's season ticket 'when we're promoted as champions'...? :rolleyes:

I think there will need to be a reduction in pricing next season as the club cant expect to keep season ticket prices the same. The only reason they got away with the fiasco this season was the promise of the return to the premiership. 

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MorayJaggie said:

I think there will need to be a reduction in pricing next season as the club cant expect to keep season ticket prices the same. The only reason they got away with the fiasco this season was the promise of the return to the premiership. 

It would indeed be very nice if admission costs could be kept to a minimum. However even at the current rate, £450,000 of donations has been required to get the club from where it was financially at the end of last season to where it is now - which at best is probably the "JAM" scenario (just about managing.) If prices were to be reduced next season, then you would have to be pretty sure that the increase in attendances would be enough at least to cancel out that hit financially.

I wouldn't want to be alarmist, but I do have to wonder just how close to the horizon part time football might be if earnings don't improve? That's not based on anything I've heard, but possibly not an unreasonable caution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really concerned that with finances as they are, the board may opt that part time football is the way to go. Can anybody put my worries to rest? 

Surely part time football is an acceptance that we will never get back to the top tier. I really believe if we keep the squad we have now together for next year, we can mount a serious title challenge, but I don't see us doing that if we went down the part time route. I have no evidence to suggest we will go part time, but the thought has been concerning me for a while now, so I thought it would be an interesting point to raise. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.