Inverness CT -V- Brechin City

Scotty

3 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Look at that bench - Lets hope we don't need it. Personally I would have gone at full strength and save if well ahead. Looks like we are gambling with Seedorf and Calder wide. Interesting?

Didn't see the game was Seedorf pushed up front as a winger? how did he play?

19 minutes ago, wynthank15 said:

Didn't see the game was Seedorf pushed up front as a winger? how did he play?

He was unusually cautious going forward. Defensively ok though obviously not really tested. Numerous times i was shouting for him to make a run down the flank ... as he has done in the past. This was the night to do it but seemed a bit lacking in confidence, almost as though he was calling for the ball but not really wanting it. That said, unlucky not to score at the back post from a tight angle a bit Ravenesque in Scottish Cup semi. 

Edited by cif73

A bit of a stroll in the park tonight. Brechin were pretty woeful and it should have been a lot more if more final passes in the box had found a man with space and comically Chalmers' backside not got in the way of one goalbound shot. 

It was good to see others get a run out with Calder, Chalmers and Seedorf doing well. Austin also showed more promise towards the end after he came on. The big worry is the injury to Coll Donaldson, which looked similar to the one he was out with recently. He seemed to catch his studs in the heavy turf when the condition of the pitch started to deteriorate with all the rain and sleet that fell most of today.

As said above stage one completed; getting distance between us and Dumbarton. Stage two in progress; overhauling Falkirk with a game still in hand. Stage three is to start reeling in QotS and others above from this Saturday on. The only way is up now!

55 minutes ago, cif73 said:

He was unusually cautious going forward. Defensively ok though obviously not really tested. Numerous times i was shouting for him to make a run down the flank ... as he has done in the past. This was the night to do it but seemed a bit lacking in confidence, almost as though he was calling for the ball but not really wanting it. That said, unlucky not to score at the back post from a tight angle a bit Ravenesque in Scottish Cup semi. 

Thanks cif73, that's my concern about Seedorf he is always hesitant these days, don't know what the cause of lack of confidence is, possibly in his head or due to his injury but he is definitely indecisive.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Row S said:

A bit of a stroll in the park tonight. Brechin were pretty woeful and it should have been a lot more if more final passes in the box had found a man with space and comically Chalmers' backside not got in the way of one goalbound shot. 

It was good to see others get a run out with Calder, Chalmers and Seedorf doing well. Austin also showed more promise towards the end after he came on. The big worry is the injury to Coll Donaldson, which looked similar to the one he was out with recently. He seemed to catch his studs in the heavy turf when the condition of the pitch started to deteriorate with all the rain and sleet that fell most of today.

As said above stage one completed; getting distance between us and Dumbarton. Stage two in progress; overhauling Falkirk with a game still in hand. Stage three is to start reeling in QotS and others above from this Saturday on. The only way is up now!

Don't be too hard on Brechin, they have done very well to be in this league when you look at the full time teams still in Div 1.

• Agree 1

Robbo was giving instructions and encouragement to Seedorf in the second half when he was playing on the standside. He seems unsure of his positioning and maybe lacks a bit of confidence. It was crying out for someone on the right to take on the Brechin defence, just like the again impressive Calder did on the left, maybe this could have been a good run out for Mulraney or Daniel MacKay. Good win, but it could have been a lot more if we had taken our chances.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, Scotty said:

going to have to rely on the moderators and/or @CaleyD for updates today. Midweek games play havoc with my schedule ! Updates will be few and far between from me ..... Working until the game is almost done then heading down to BMO Field for the first leg of the CONCACAF Champions League Semi-Final between TFC and Mexican powerhouse Club America !! fingers crossed for a good night and no refereeing controversies.    

TORONTO 3 AMERICA 1 :crazy:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Robbo was giving instructions and encouragement to Seedorf in the second half when he was playing on the standside. He seems unsure of his positioning and maybe lacks a bit of confidence. It was crying out for someone on the right to take on the Brechin defence, just like the again impressive Calder did on the left, maybe this could have been a good run out for Mulraney or Daniel MacKay. Good win, but it could have been a lot more if we had taken our chances.

Agree about the chances that game could/should of been 8 nil but i thought Seedorf at RB was good last night he put some good crosses into the box which Brad at RB is unable to do. Gutted young Daniel didn't get on as i think he would of scored some of those missed opportunities . Hope Coll not badly injured him & Brad in defence works way better but have to mention love him or loath him when Vigurs got subbed the midfield was not nearly as good and Brechin got more of the ball fair play to them they never stopped trying.

• Agree 2

You have to hand it to Brechin for sticking with it, and never whining. I have a soft spot for them after reading this:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/09/brechin-city-no-league-win-scottish-championship

I hope they get their win.  They deserve an against the odds upset. I have seen them playing some better football than others in this division, although never for long enough in a match, and i think they have been unlucky a couple of times (not against us, though).

Edited by The Long Man
  • Agree 2

Polo Chick has it spot on. 

Brechin may be rock bottom with only four draws to their name, but they rarely get beaten by much.  Whilst their defence are no great shakes, they are well organised and therefore scoring 4 against them is an excellent result.  It shows we must be doing something right.

I was impressed by both Seedorf on the right and Calder on the left.  Whilst not tested much defensively, both put in excellent crosses.when they got forward.  Calder in particular showed excellent first touch when receiving long balls.

Mckay showed that he is far better in the centre than at Right back.  He comfortably snuffed out danger on several occasion and then moved the ball on well.  He had an excellent game. Chalmers too played well.  He is a solid and composed player.  Vigurs and Chalmers work well together.

The down side to me was Bell.  I am sure it was the intention to replace him for MacKay but Donaldson's injury put paid to that.  Bell therefore had the full 90 minutes to stake a claim for a regular starting place  but he failed to impress.  He did well with the assist for Oakley's goal but other than that he worked his socks off to little effect.  He was up against the weakest defence in the division but generally came out 2nd best.  Austin looked far more threatening when he came on.  I actually thought he showed enough against St Mirren to deserve a start against weaker opposition, so was pleased with his performance when he did come on.  Unfortunately, after great work cutting in from the right, he was denied a goal by Chalmers backside!  

Whilst not the greatest of games and with a very flat atmosphere from a meagre crowd, there were certainly far more positives than negatives to take from the game.  The manager has real choices to make in his team selection and we have a strong looking bench.

Just a final word on Brechin.  The last time they were here I commented on how impressed  I was with their big striker Isaac Layne.  Last night he was full of energy and constantly looked a threat whenever Brechin got the ball up the park.  But Brechin don't get up the park very often and Layne gets little service and little support.  He's only scored 2 goals all season.  It must be so frustrating for him but he never stops trying.  Good luck to the lad. I hope  he gets an opportunity with a bigger club than Brechin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoofersDad said:

The last time they were here I commented on how impressed  I was with their big striker Isaac Layne.  Last night he was full of energy and constantly looked a threat whenever Brechin got the ball up the park.  But Brechin don't get up the park very often and Layne gets little service and little support.  He's only scored 2 goals all season.  It must be so frustrating for him but he never stops trying.  Good luck to the lad. I hope  he gets an opportunity with a bigger club than Brechin

Wonder if he'd like to stay in the Championship rather than drop down.  I guess the problem is that because he's playing for Brechin you can't really tell how good he is.

Worth a punt?

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

TORONTO 3 AMERICA 1 :crazy:

Great game, pissing rain, dodgy ref, accusations from their manager in the press conference that 3 players were assaulted by police, and in our conference that one TFC player was elbowed by a Club America official ... just another night in the competition that is CONCACAF !  The second leg at the Azteca stadium in Mexico next week should be quite something !

Are you thinking of going after Layne then?

Really sounds as if  you think he is going very well in the inside lane right now.

the man said, maybe worth a punt.  Or is it too late in the season for that?

Just tell me straight, lay it on the line,. what are your opinions?

4 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

the man said, maybe worth a punt.  Or is it too late in the season for that?

When this man said it - asked the question, actually - he was thinking of during the summer.  Scottish transfer window shut at the moment.

It was just an idle question. He was described as a "big striker" who never stopped trying, and who looked a threat whenever Brechin got the ball forward.  Sounded like a square peg for our square hole!

8 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

When this man said it - asked the question, actually - he was thinking of during the summer.  Scottish transfer window shut at the moment.

It was just an idle question. He was described as a "big striker" who never stopped trying, and who looked a threat whenever Brechin got the ball forward.  Sounded like a square peg for our square hole!

When we beat them with 10 men earlier this year I thought Jordan Sinclair stood out. A possible late developer as he’s already been at Hibs and Livi without making an impact, but still only 21. As for the big fella’s contribution in that game, I think we’d be as well going for Arnold Layne*

*those under 60 will have to Google this. Other search engines are available.

9 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

When we beat them with 10 men earlier this year I thought Jordan Sinclair stood out. A possible late developer as he’s already been at Hibs and Livi without making an impact, but still only 21. As for the big fella’s contribution in that game, I think we’d be as well going for Arnold Layne*

*those under 60 will have to Google this. Other search engines are available.

He would certainly add another brick to the wall.

• Funny 1

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic