Scotty

Oakley is (much) better when trying to feed off crosses than trying to hold the ball up or chase balls over the top. Mulraney put in a wicked cross just after coming on and Polworth sent in a nice ball which Oakley (I think) headed in but he was offside. Something to look at? 

Not a great game but very poor conditions and I thought the lads all showed great commitment.  We are now 6 games unbeaten in the league and any lingering fears of relegation are now banished with 5 games to go.  Given where we were at the start of the season, I think that is job done for the season.  Any further progress will be a real bonus.  Mind you, to hear some of the roasters in the crowd you would think we were getting hammered and relegation was imminent.  Yes it would have been nice to have seen one or two more shots at goal, but even when we were keeping possession in the opposition half whilst looking for an opening, we had people shouting abuse every time a backwards pass  was made.  The number of times the off-side flag was raised should have given them  a clue about how difficult it was to find space in front of the ball.  Not only that, but with a very wet surface the ball was often skidding off the ground making the timing of passes  difficult and therefore favouring the safer ball. What is it about some people who manage to find fault in the team even when we are doing well?  Why do they actually bother going to the games if their negativity is making them so miserable?

It's a hard one for MOTM.  A number of the roasters laughed ironically when Vigurs was announced as the sponsors MOTM but I though he had a decent game.  He was maybe not at his best but I can't think of anyone else who had a better game.  Gary Warren was very solid although he didn't have a great deal to do.  Ridgers had little to do but made a great reflex safe when required late in the game. Mulraney came on and provided the spark the game was needing.  He scored a great goal but also contributed defensively as well.  It seems that whoever we bring on does well now.  The whole squad seems to be playing well and there must be several players on the bench who must consider themselves a bit unlucky not to be starting.  It's all looking pretty encouraging at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

My impression is that some of these 'Roasters' are just miserable gits period, always looking for the downside, never giving credit for anything and in most cases haven't played football at any level. They also tend to forget that if these players were perfect specimens of footballing performance they wouldn't be playing for us. It's annoying, but the rest of us need to be more vocal in our support and encouragement.

I know it's easy for me to say from down here, but I've actually enjoyed watching a new team come together and gel, and young inexperienced players start to find their feet., I'm sure some of the football hasn't been the prettiest, but in the long term I have hope

Edited by Eagle4Caley
  • Agree 4

The difference in the way the team is playing now is incredible. At the start of the season we lacked a spark, we were sitting off teams and very disjointed. This was inevitable with the amount of our best players we lost, and Robbo having to build a new squad on a limited budget,  but now the new team has gelled, you can see the team spirit within the team, and we are closing the opposition down quicker, we are in their faces fighting for every ball and playing some good football when conditions are good. If we can keep the majority of this squad together, with a couple of good signings next season, I think we will be challenging for the title next term.

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, Eagle4Caley said:

My impression is that some of these 'Roasters' are just miserable gits period, always looking for the downside, never giving credit for anything and in most cases haven't played football at any level. They also tend to forget that if these players were perfect specimens of footballing performance they wouldn't be playing for us. It's annoying, but the rest of us need to be more vocal in our support and encouragement.

I know it's easy for me to say from down here, but I've actually enjoyed watching a new team come together and gel, and young inexperienced players start to find their feet., I'm sure some of the football hasn't been the prettiest, but in the long term I have hope

You're definitely not talking about Crystal Palace there :lol:

58 minutes ago, Caman said:

You're definitely not talking about Crystal Palace there :lol:

Too bloody right, I haven't enjoyed their season at all, watching players being paid £120k a week performing soooo badly (Benteke/Sakho for instance) really makes me appreciate the young Caley lads...some of them can pass the ball!

3 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

But...er....Itchy. won't you have to trim that belly a wee bit first before you'll be able to emulate the glories of the past ?:laugh:

Bobby Mann did all right with one but he had.the skill to compensate for it

• Funny 1

Jaggernaut's posting above is one of the most intuitive and smart assessment posts of late.

This team is gelling very well and obviously enjoy playing with each other.

Based on what I have seen in the ongoing videos  I am surprised at the overall quality of this team. I really am. Their passing is great, the effort they are putting in is fantastic and the skill level is no mean shakes at all.

And what surprises me about these games is that the pace of the game is much higher than formerly and great to watch.

As for Jake, now that he seems to be heeding J R's advice and is concentrating on his performance rather than losing his temper and doing his Hamlet act on the park, he is a force to be reckoned with. His ball control and speed are awesome and he can become a very much appreciated member of this team if he really puts his mind to it--and, of course, not doing his future career any harm at all in the process.

This end of the season  performance(s) is very encouraging and so...onward and upward then. YESSSSSSS.!:clapoverhead::wave:

• Agree 1

On 11/04/2018 at 1:43 PM, CELTIC1CALEY3 said:

Are you out of contract or able to sign as an emergency loan? What is your fitness level like?

Nah, he means his wellies. Aquifer inspection.

3 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Jaggernaut's posting above is one of the most intuitive and smart assessment posts of late.

This team is gelling very well and obviously enjoy playing with each other.

Based on what I have seen in the ongoing videos  I am surprised at the overall quality of this team. I really am. Their passing is great, the effort they are putting in is fantastic and the skill level is no mean shakes at all.

And what surprises me about these games is that the pace of the game is much higher than formerly and great to watch.

As for Jake, now that he seems to be heeding J R's advice and is concentrating on his performance rather than losing his temper and doing his Hamlet act on the park, he is a force to be reckoned with. His ball control and speed are awesome and he can become a very much appreciated member of this team if he really puts his mind to it--and, of course, not doing his future career any harm at all in the process.

This end of the season  performance(s) is very encouraging and so...onward and upward then. YESSSSSSS.!:clapoverhead::wave:

Somebody must be showing you edited highlights of games iv been to games this season that have been brutal on the eye! Signs of improvement for sure but overall a very disappointing season I sound negative but really expected a title battle this season! A lot of the budget been wasted on absolute sh&te players who'd struggle at highland league level

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Facepalm 5

lan Simpson,,

I have been watching the video highlights of the recent games showing on this website and, c'mon,  this team is playing quite well. Maybe they are not taking their chances around the goals and/or may have been unlucky on more than one occasion to get the ball as close to the net as they would have liked  but some of the other goalies' performances in this league are athletic and highly noteworthy, IMHO.. Not to mention that our team has scored from rather difficult situations, surrounded by the other teams' players and so on. And they have stopped losing matches now it seems . So they need your support, not whining and severe criticism.

Anyway, from the highlights I do see ambition and effort in this team and considering what a poor start we made at the beginning of the season, can't you even give them one season to coalesce and develop? Remember that everybody except Pimples make mistakes. So,  let's give J R his due. He has taken  a lot of newbies in the door, worked them hard and it's obvious that they are all, for the most part, fit as fleas and  willing to make the effort until the bitter end. And, boy, would you ever regret your harsh criticisms if they did enter the playoffs and ....holy smokes.... what if they actually won promotion? Sackcloth and ashes time for the criticisers I guess.? Aye! :clapoverhead:

• Agree 4

12 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

Somebody must be showing you edited highlights of games iv been to games this season that have been brutal on the eye! Signs of improvement for sure but overall a very disappointing season I sound negative but really expected a title battle this season! A lot of the budget been wasted on absolute sh&te players who'd struggle at highland league level

Not negative at all just being a realist. Things have picked up a wee bit over the last couple of weeks but overall we have underperformed and it if wasn't, for Ridgers our season and any talk of play offs would be already over.

Anything other than top four has to be seen as a failure with the squad we have.Plenty of talk on how,JR inherited a depleted squad but I don't see that at all . Other than Draper and Tansey (possibly Fisher) the players that left were squad players at best, he still has had around a lot of premiership experience to call on.

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic