Going Ballistic

Laurence

I apologise if this has been mentioned before, but I have only just found out.

That the headline " Going Ballistic etc. "  in respect  of Calley's defeat of Celtic , was not original.  ) 

Apparently, it was based on a lesser known headline from the 1970s, also football related. That version relates to Liverpool’s Ian Callaghan playing a blinder in a victory over QPR: ‘

"Super Cally Goes Ballistic, QPR Atrocious’."

note.   Ian Callaghan  played more times for Liverpool than anyone else

Source

http://www.wordsworks.co.uk/best-headline-ever/

Edited by Laurence
addittion

I hadn't heard of the QPR link either.  I've tried to google this and all that comes up is similar statements that the headline apparently appeared in the Liverpool Echo.  It seems to be all anecdotal and on a brief look I couldn't see any direct evidence the Liverpool Echo had ever used the headline.  Of course, it would come as no surprise if "The Sun" was guilty of plagiarism, but no matter.  The line works better with Celtic as the victims and it will  forever be associated with one of the great days in our club's history.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DoofersDad said:

I hadn't heard of the QPR link either.  I've tried to google this and all that comes up is similar statements that the headline apparently appeared in the Liverpool Echo.  It seems to be all anecdotal and on a brief look I couldn't see any direct evidence the Liverpool Echo had ever used the headline.  Of course, it would come as no surprise if "The Sun" was guilty of plagiarism, but no matter.  The line works better with Celtic as the victims and it will  forever be associated with one of the great days in our club's history.

It might be Laurence has an old paper copy  :lol:

It was stated at the time that the headline was being held in reserve by The Sun subs for the potential moment that Ally McCoist (Super Ally...Celtic Are...) had a decent outing in an Old Firm encounter. 

• Funny 1

Thanks to all - I am a fan of the TV programme  " The Chase " -  about a week ago it was a question, The contestant got it wrong - " The Beast " , got it right. That was how I came to know the information.

By the way picking holes in a 74 years old spelling mistakes smacks of someone with nothing better to do with his time.- You should note  Ian Callaghan has two  LLs in his name

I will be taking time out from this Forum as my wife says I waste too much time on it, When I should be  drinking sherry and bookselling and gardening

I am off to Aintree tomorrow  I will be there at the Grand National in The Tattersalls ring . See, you all next season. God Bless !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Laurence said:

Thanks to all - I am a fan of the TV programme  " The Chase " -  about a week ago it was a question, The contestant got it wrong - " The Beast " , got it right. That was how I came to know the information.

By the way picking holes in a 74 years old spelling mistakes smacks of someone with nothing better to do with his time.- You should note  Ian Callaghan has two  LLs in his name

I will be taking time out from this Forum as my wife says I waste too much time on it, When I should be  drinking sherry and bookselling and gardening

I am off to Aintree tomorrow  I will be there at the Grand National in The Tattersalls ring . See, you all next season. God Bless !

Enjoy Aintree. Not going this year but sooo wish I was. 

A good pal of mine from London (West Ham fan) works in the London office of the Sun there and he says he sees that Headline every day of his working life and only wishes his own team was up there with the Ballistics. He has been up here and been to a match with me and now looks for our results after the Hammers.

I'm 99.99% sure the SuperCaleyGoBallistic headline was used by the Courier or Highland News back in the 90's in our 3rd division days. We'd won 5 or 6 -0 (1) away from home. So wish I'd kept that headline back then.

3 hours ago, Gringo said:

I'm 99.99% sure the SuperCaleyGoBallistic headline was used by the Courier or Highland News back in the 90's in our 3rd division days. We'd won 5 or 6 -0 (1) away from home. So wish I'd kept that headline back then.

Gringo, I'm afraid I'm in the other 0.01% on that one. I think the headline is memorable enough to have been identified as recycled from the local press immediately the Sun used it in 2000 - only around four years after the suggested time of use.

In the autumn of 1996, a few weeks into Pele's reign, there was indeed a spate of high scoring wins but I have no recollection either of this being used by the Courier or the HN, nor of anyone speaking about this over the ensuing years.

My understanding is that The Sun had the headline in waiting in the form of "Super Ally Goes Ballistic...." for McCoist to do serious damage to Celtic in an Old Firm game but were moved to take it out of cold storage for 9th Feb 2000.

7 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

My understanding is that The Sun had the headline in waiting in the form of "Super Ally Goes Ballistic...." for McCoist to do serious damage to Celtic in an Old Firm game but were moved to take it out of cold storage for 9th Feb 2000.

On 4/11/2018 at 7:43 PM, Wanderer said:

It was stated at the time that the headline was being held in reserve by The Sun subs for the potential moment that Ally McCoist (Super Ally...Celtic Are...) had a decent outing in an Old Firm encounter. 

:blink:

• Funny 1