Sign in to follow this  
Laurence

Going Ballistic

Recommended Posts

I apologise if this has been mentioned before, but I have only just found out.

That the headline " Going Ballistic etc. "  in respect  of Calley's defeat of Celtic , was not original.  ) 

Apparently, it was based on a lesser known headline from the 1970s, also football related. That version relates to Liverpool’s Ian Callaghan playing a blinder in a victory over QPR: ‘

"Super Cally Goes Ballistic, QPR Atrocious’."

 

note.   Ian Callaghan  played more times for Liverpool than anyone else

 

Source

http://www.wordsworks.co.uk/best-headline-ever/

Edited by Laurence
addittion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently, its a play on words from a song in a popular musical from even before then..........................this is also a fact that also has no real relevance

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Old age, bookeeping and sherry are a potent combination.

A spoonful of voddy helps the paperwork go down?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hadn't heard of the QPR link either.  I've tried to google this and all that comes up is similar statements that the headline apparently appeared in the Liverpool Echo.  It seems to be all anecdotal and on a brief look I couldn't see any direct evidence the Liverpool Echo had ever used the headline.  Of course, it would come as no surprise if "The Sun" was guilty of plagiarism, but no matter.  The line works better with Celtic as the victims and it will  forever be associated with one of the great days in our club's history.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DoofersDad said:

I hadn't heard of the QPR link either.  I've tried to google this and all that comes up is similar statements that the headline apparently appeared in the Liverpool Echo.  It seems to be all anecdotal and on a brief look I couldn't see any direct evidence the Liverpool Echo had ever used the headline.  Of course, it would come as no surprise if "The Sun" was guilty of plagiarism, but no matter.  The line works better with Celtic as the victims and it will  forever be associated with one of the great days in our club's history.

It might be Laurence has an old paper copy  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sun had this in their top 10 fav headlines of all time lately. The ICT one  Never heard of the other one tbh 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was stated at the time that the headline was being held in reserve by The Sun subs for the potential moment that Ally McCoist (Super Ally...Celtic Are...) had a decent outing in an Old Firm encounter. 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to all - I am a fan of the TV programme  " The Chase " -  about a week ago it was a question, The contestant got it wrong - " The Beast " , got it right. That was how I came to know the information.

By the way picking holes in a 74 years old spelling mistakes smacks of someone with nothing better to do with his time.- You should note  Ian Callaghan has two  LLs in his name

I will be taking time out from this Forum as my wife says I waste too much time on it, When I should be  drinking sherry and bookselling and gardening

I am off to Aintree tomorrow  I will be there at the Grand National in The Tattersalls ring . See, you all next season. God Bless !

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your wife is a very wise woman, to whom we are all grateful 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Laurence said:

Thanks to all - I am a fan of the TV programme  " The Chase " -  about a week ago it was a question, The contestant got it wrong - " The Beast " , got it right. That was how I came to know the information.

By the way picking holes in a 74 years old spelling mistakes smacks of someone with nothing better to do with his time.- You should note  Ian Callaghan has two  LLs in his name

I will be taking time out from this Forum as my wife says I waste too much time on it, When I should be  drinking sherry and bookselling and gardening

I am off to Aintree tomorrow  I will be there at the Grand National in The Tattersalls ring . See, you all next season. God Bless !

Enjoy Aintree. Not going this year but sooo wish I was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CaleyD said:

Your wife is a very wise woman, to whom we are all grateful 😉

Maybe she'll move up a couple of places on his 'list of interests'...

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good pal of mine from London (West Ham fan) works in the London office of the Sun there and he says he sees that Headline every day of his working life and only wishes his own team was up there with the Ballistics. He has been up here and been to a match with me and now looks for our results after the Hammers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True fact here - After that game, STV started referring to the club as ‘The Ballistics’ in the hope that the fans would use it as the clubs new nickname. Never took off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm 99.99% sure the SuperCaleyGoBallistic headline was used by the Courier or Highland News back in the 90's in our 3rd division days. We'd won 5 or 6 -0 (1) away from home. So wish I'd kept that headline back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gringo said:

I'm 99.99% sure the SuperCaleyGoBallistic headline was used by the Courier or Highland News back in the 90's in our 3rd division days. We'd won 5 or 6 -0 (1) away from home. So wish I'd kept that headline back then.

Gringo, I'm afraid I'm in the other 0.01% on that one. I think the headline is memorable enough to have been identified as recycled from the local press immediately the Sun used it in 2000 - only around four years after the suggested time of use.

In the autumn of 1996, a few weeks into Pele's reign, there was indeed a spate of high scoring wins but I have no recollection either of this being used by the Courier or the HN, nor of anyone speaking about this over the ensuing years.

My understanding is that The Sun had the headline in waiting in the form of "Super Ally Goes Ballistic...." for McCoist to do serious damage to Celtic in an Old Firm game but were moved to take it out of cold storage for 9th Feb 2000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

My understanding is that The Sun had the headline in waiting in the form of "Super Ally Goes Ballistic...." for McCoist to do serious damage to Celtic in an Old Firm game but were moved to take it out of cold storage for 9th Feb 2000.

 

On 4/11/2018 at 7:43 PM, Wanderer said:

It was stated at the time that the headline was being held in reserve by The Sun subs for the potential moment that Ally McCoist (Super Ally...Celtic Are...) had a decent outing in an Old Firm encounter. 

 

:blink:

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

:blink:

:laugh:

Also Steve Paterson took over in the summer of 1995.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/04/2018 at 7:04 AM, Renegade said:

True fact here - After that game, STV started referring to the club as ‘The Ballistics’ in the hope that the fans would use it as the clubs new nickname. Never took off. 

I wonder why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.