Sign in to follow this  
Caman

Dunfermline game - Free entry?

Probably too late to organise, but if we beat Dumbarton on Tuesday, why not make the Dunfermline game free entry. 

Would make a higher attendance and better atmosphere to spur the team on and keep the momentum going.

:ictscarf:

9 hours ago, Caman said:

Probably too late to organise, but if we beat Dumbarton on Tuesday, why not make the Dunfermline game free entry. 

Would make a higher attendance and better atmosphere to spur the team on and keep the momentum going.

:ictscarf:

Buy one get one free, might make more sense, although it kinda seems illogical to penalise the regular fans who've seen some poor fare earlier in the season. in favour of 'fair weather' fans when we need all the money we can get

Let's just make sure we get behind the guys with noise and encouragement from the word go....and hold our tongues when the inevitable pass goes astray, challenge gets missed.

• Agree 5

Assuming we beat Dumbarton, a big crowd against the Pars would be an advantage but instead of opening the gates for free, which I doubt the club could afford, why don't we all encourage at least one person we know to come along?

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Eagle4Caley said:

Buy one get one free, might make more sense, although it kinda seems illogical to penalise the regular fans who've seen some poor fare earlier in the season. in favour of 'fair weather' fans when we need all the money we can get

Let's just make sure we get behind the guys with noise and encouragement from the word go....and hold our tongues when the inevitable pass goes astray, challenge gets missed.

no such thing as fair weather fans. every fan should be appreciated.

I've grown to really dislike the use of the term "fair weather fan" (and others of its ilk) and I can assure you that the way to encourage less regular attendees to come along more often is not to ridicule and single them out negatively for the support they do give.  Never once have I met someone at a football match who said they were there because they were shamed into it!!

The club also has it's part to play, of course, and they need to be looking at why relegation cost us so many season ticket holders and (home) walk-ups this time, when we managed to turn it on it's head and increase the numbers last time?

3 hours ago, Eagle4Caley said:

See your point, but as a season ticket holder I would like to see as many people as possible on Saturday at the match. I would not feel penalised. 

What we need is a bear.....this one rumoured to be included in the opening ceremony for the World Cup!!!

The really sad thing about this, should we win on Tuesday, is that we should not really have to be encouraging fans to come along and get behind the team on Saturday. Given the potential importance of the game, Inverness should be getting behind the team but sadly, that is unlikely to happen. That is where an incentive from the board may be helpful and if we beat Dumbarton tomorrow, the incentive should be made public asap.

Once again, let us not underestimate Dumbarton tomorrow night.  Saturday's game is currently irrelevant. Should we win tomorrow night, as a season ticket holder, I would have no qualms if the club, offered a deal to non season ticket holders. If the game is of significance to Dunfermline then their supporters would pay the going rate for away supporters.  

9 hours ago, caleyboy said:

no such thing as fair weather fans. every fan should be appreciated

Agreed....I was only querying whether people who rarely turn up should be treated MORE favourably than people who've stuck by the club through thick and thin. If we were going to give tickets away for nothing, I'd rather build for the long term and get a few classes of school kids in (on the condition they make lots of noise!)

• Agree 1

You have nothing to apologise for mate. it's comments like that that drive normal folk away from the forums. What a world we live in when the simplest of statements get taken to task.

Did the club not have a deal for one match last season or season before for season ticket holders to bring someone for free? A bit short lived but could have been tried again throughout April to get bigger crowds. 

No offence to anyone, but as a ST holder for many seasons, I get the concept of reduced entry etc to bring in more fans but where is the reward or incentive for a ST holder throughout the season. Rather than free entry to the Dunfermline game, I would be happier to see the club reward the ST holders with free entry to any or all the play-off games - however I know this wont happen as the lure of exploiting the loyal fans to the tune of £20 a time for potentially 3 matches will be too great. 

I've posted before about means to increase footfall and the need to balance revenue, but having stuck by the club through the fiasco's of the last few seasons and the glaring waste of cash on both sub-standard players and structural mis-management there is a time for something to be given back to the loyal fans. The time for free tickets and incentives is not at the crunch games as they should be already appealing and marketed as must see events with the incentivised events through the season at games we should have had less hype around. Start the season with offers and gamble on the team making a good start so 'fair weather' fans get incentivised for the remaining season - now its too little too late, even if they did like what they saw, the next game may not be for another 3 months by which time a new interest has taken hold. 

• Agree 2

No offence taken :smile: But as a season ticket holder of many seasons I actually have the different viewpoint, I have no problem at all if they opened this up as free to non ST holders, I agree with you that it would be good to be acknowledged in some way for years of loyalty but I also think that throwing this out to walk up fans for free would be good and not as financially bad as people are making out.  ST holders will make up the majority of our home support on Saturday so no financial gain/loss there. Not sure how many walk up fans we have but it cant be vast amounts. If people were getting in for free and the numbers increased even if only by a  hundred would that not be more beneficial in the long term also on the day there would be some  more refreshments programmes etc sold and the potential for some to come back again. Speculate to accumulate and all that, I realise most of these ideas have been tried before but we have to keep trying to encourage people whatever it takes.

The idea of giving free entry is a non starter for me. There are two reasons. Firstly, as a season ticket holder I would see it as a kick in the teeth. For various reasons I have not been able to get to some of the home games and as a result I have probably paid more per game than if I had paid game by game. We season ticket holders are the ones who have supported the team through the bad times as well as the good. 

Secondly, what’s the point of giving others free entry?  There seems to me to be no point unless it is to encourage them to come more regularly, but if they can’t be persuaded to pay to see such an important game they are unlikely to be persuaded to pay to watch routine games next year. 

If free entry to anyone is to be given it should be to season ticket holders. This would not only be a welcome acknowledgment of loyalty and support, but it might encourage non season ticket holders to buy one for next season. 

I don’t want the club behaving like a car insurance company giving good deals to new customers whilst shafting those who show a bit of loyalty. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Completely different viewpoint to mine but totally respect that as we all have different ideas etc. I do agree that it would be nice to see some benefits after all the years of loyally pumping money in. I like your car insurance compari:smile:son 

My opinion....the traditional season ticket idea is outdated and attempts to hold on to it are doing more harm than good.

I think clubs would be far better served by an "easyjet" style ticketing policy where everyone has the chance to buy in advance and save money....regardless of whether they take it one game at a time or commit to many games in advance.  Either that or a "loyalty card" type scheme whereby the more games you attend in the season, the cheaper your tickets get.

As an aside, and maybe an unpopular view, but Season Tickets benefit the holder as much as they do the club and the idea that throwing the gates open once or twice a year significantly devalues that is BS.  There are many people who pay per game and contribute more (financially) over the season than a ST holder will, so the whole ST snobbery thing kinda grinds my gears a bit as well.

I balance that with a view that ticket discounting does not work....on any front.  It doesn't bring in significantly more fans, it definitely doesn't bring in any more revenue and when you only do it for the "wee" games, it does naff all to encourage people to come back because the offering generally isn't as appealing as the (naturally) more attractive games.  It serves no more purpose than sticking a dummy in the mouth of a screaming baby.

If you want to increase bums on seats....create a better experience (not just matchday) and make everything around the club more sociable.

• Agree 1

Agree with most of that especially the Easyjet ticket idea something I've mentioned on here before:

Not adverse to that idea but Id say STs benefit club most in long run. Id say thats especially true at clubs like ours where not everyone lives in Inverness. Im like DD in that circumstances (such as lots of tues games) have meant that I havent use my ST as much as Id have liked. I like many others buy my ST out of loyalty and not for the financial benefit. If the easyjet style came in I would certainly save a lot if cash. I would like to add though that going to games becomes a habit and sometimes having paid in advance, so to speak, makes you turn up esp if things not going so well on park. So scrapping STs could cost the club money imho. 

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, RiG said:

Agree with most of that especially the Easyjet ticket idea something I've mentioned on here before:

Absolutely, I've seen it talked about in many places...but the boards of many clubs are far too stuck in this need for a lump sum at the start of the season.

What I have tried explaining to lots of people (and not just at ICTFC) is that the cost (by way of discounts to ST holders up front) is way more than the interest they would pay on any short term borrowing needed to get over that financial hump during the closed season.  Also, if you structure it right then you could still encourage people to invest up front with something like a pre-loaded club credit card of some kind that they can use over the season and gets them a bit of discount on tickets and merchandise...or whatever.

• Agree 1

Just now, old caley girl said:

Not adverse to that idea but Id say STs benefit club most in long run. Id say thats especially true at clubs like ours where not everyone lives in Inverness. Im like DD in that circumstances (such as lots of tues games) have meant that I havent use my ST as much as Id have liked. I like many others buy my ST out of loyalty and not for the financial benefit. If the easyjet style came in I would certainly save a lot if cash. I would like to add though that going to games becomes a habit and sometimes having paid in advance, so to speak, makes you turn up esp if things not going so well on park. So scrapping STs could cost the club money imho. 

See my last post.....I'm not saying scrap season tickets all together, I'm just saying we should take a fresh look at the whole setup and put in place something that is flexible enough to fit the needs of more people.