Sign in to follow this  
Caman

Dunfermline game - Free entry?

21 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

My opinion....the traditional season ticket idea is outdated and attempts to hold on to it are doing more harm than good.

There's a fair bit to be said for that. For a start, working practices have changed considerably since STs were introduced - probably in an era when most men (sic), if not on a Mon - Fri five day week, did five and a half, still working on a Saturday morning until maybe 1pm. In fact I am guessing that this may have something to do with the default Saturday kick-off time still being 3pm, originally to give people enough time to eat and get to the ground after finishing work. (As an aside, I think there's something to be said for pulling the standard 3pm forward to 2:30 or 2pm but that's another question.)

I'm always interested in quite frequent anecdotes that people can't make this game or that, or how many they've had to miss in a season - often due to shift patterns in our current 24-7 society. People also have a bigger variety of other activities to keep them away from football from time to time. So there are two questions? Are STs becoming less popular across the game? And if so, to what extent is this because people now find it more difficult to attend every week?

On the other hand maybe season tickets are the best for clubs to do what they have to do - maximise turnstile revenue AND (importantly) ease their cash flow by getting a lot of that money in pre-season. I'm just not sure where reality lies but I could understand anyone not wanting to part with about £300 in a oner and deciding to do walk ups instead.... only to become quite an infrequent attender because of the single match price.

This could be where the Easyjet idea could be worth considering... but clubs will ALWAYS look for the formula which maximises income. 

EDIT.... while I was writing this, OCG also made the very valid point about Tuesday games. The football season ticket must be a rare instance of a retail arrangement where the purchaser is unable to claim a refund if the seller is unable to provide the product under the terms originally stated.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

The one thing everyone seems to agree on is that the current setup isn't working....for anyone.

Plus, I'd move all our home games to a Friday evening....USP, consistency, no need to move for TV (may even encourage more coverage), playing under the lights is magical and people have the entire weekend to do all the things that currently compete with 3pm on a Saturday...or 12am Sunday...or 5pm Saturday...maybe 2pm Sunday....!!!!

• Sad 1

Options do need to be considered, but although I've not been to many games as a ST holder this season, I don't advocate scrapping them - there's a lot to be said for having a seat and being around the regular people with the same interest that you can chat to etc. My objection was free tickets at this stage of the season for anyone other than the loyal ST holders. 

Advance booking discounts, ticket package discounts - not just a half season but 3 or 5 game blocks - even free or significantly reduced entry isn't unacceptable but it needs better planning & timing. Newbies need to be enticed and done so at the start of the season when we can build on it - not the end. Have a free or low fee entry day for 1 or 2 games at the start of the season then with those tickets these fans can purchase a 3 or 5 game pass at the same equivalent rate as a ST holder. Options such as the more you attend the bigger the discount - and not forget the ST holder and commit to offering free entry to 1 cup game per competition and we will accept the gamble whether a home draw occurs or not. Whatever is introduced for the 'fair weather' fan it needs to leave ST holders at the end of the season as still being better off. 

As a season ticket holder, i would probably renew mine even if i was only going to 4 or 5 games in the season. I know i have my seat at every home game available for me to sit in. Also regarding benefits for season ticket holders, we get a voucher for discount in the club shop, and also we got into the Brechin cup game for free at the start of the season, something that the club doesn't have to do. If the club didn't offer any of this i would still buy my season ticket every year regardless as would many other people i'm sure.

Edited by northstandfan
Grammar
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

As a ST holder I don't mind paying more for my ticket than I would have done had I paid match by match if, as a result of my lifestyle I miss a few games.  I am happy to commit to that cost regardless of whether I get "value for money" because it is supporting the club.  I also feel there is a value associated with having my own regular seat,  The ST idea works for me but I fully appreciate that some people cannot afford to pay upfront or attend regularly and therefore looking at alternative way to finance ticket sales and particularly to encourage more regular attendance have to be welcomed.  There's no "one size fits all" but to me the bottom line is that loyalty should be rewarded and not exploited,  New "customers" should be encouraged by the quality of the product and by knowing that there will be some benefits from demonstrating some loyalty.

• Agree 3

On 4/16/2018 at 1:23 AM, dougiedanger said:

Once big Blair ploughs in his millions entry will be free to every game and you will get a free pie and Kwenchy Cup at half time.

After he's finished his lunch...

Is there not a finance package where people could buy season tickets but through instalments rather than than one lump sum? 

28 minutes ago, gingerjaggy said:

Is there not a finance package where people could buy season tickets but through instalments rather than than one lump sum? 

Yes

On 17/04/2018 at 11:07 AM, DoofersDad said:

The idea of giving free entry is a non starter for me. There are two reasons. Firstly, as a season ticket holder I would see it as a kick in the teeth. For various reasons I have not been able to get to some of the home games and as a result I have probably paid more per game than if I had paid game by game. We season ticket holders are the ones who have supported the team through the bad times as well as the good. 

Secondly, what’s the point of giving others free entry?  There seems to me to be no point unless it is to encourage them to come more regularly, but if they can’t be persuaded to pay to see such an important game they are unlikely to be persuaded to pay to watch routine games next year. 

If free entry to anyone is to be given it should be to season ticket holders. This would not only be a welcome acknowledgment of loyalty and support, but it might encourage non season ticket holders to buy one for next season. 

I don’t want the club behaving like a car insurance company giving good deals to new customers whilst shafting those who show a bit of loyalty. 

I'm all for encouraging fans, but season ticket holders need incentives too.

With the number of midweek games due to the pitch and cup, I'm out of pocket compared to paying on the day.

i don't grudge it at all, as I love the club, so if anything is done, perhaps a voucher to season ticket holders for free entry to the betfred cup home games should be offered too?

• Like 1

The season ticket experience is actually quite recent in football as the majority of ticket sales, say 10 to 15 years ago were probably walk up sales. The introduction of all seated grounds hastened the increase in season tickets as people wanted to sit in the same seats every week and having a season ticket was the only way to do this.

The solution is probably a mix of options between traditional season tickets, walk up sales, min season tickets (3 to 5 games etc) and the club need to explore this.

Just now, Huisdean said:

The season ticket experience is actually quite recent in football as the majority of ticket sales, say 10 to 15 years ago were probably walk up sales. The introduction of all seated grounds hastened the increase in season tickets as people wanted to sit in the same seats every week and having a season ticket was the only way to do this.

The solution is probably a mix of options between traditional season tickets, walk up sales, min season tickets (3 to 5 games etc) and the club need to explore this.

Hmmm I had a membership ie season ticket for Caledonian in the HL. So not sure this strictly true? 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, old caley girl said:

Hmmm I had a membership ie season ticket for Caledonian in the HL. So not sure this strictly true? 

Season tickets have been around for decades.

Aberdeen have introduced in the past few seasons the stand free membership which costs £10 per season and you get 20% off your first ticket the 10% of subsequent.  It also gives the holder 10% off at the club shop and hospitality. You are also able to build up ticket cash every time you buy a ticket which can be used to purchase tickets throughout the season.  Maybe looking into something similar would be the way to go for ICTFC.  You can also load any tickets bought online onto your membership card to be swiped at the turnstile.

2 hours ago, old caley girl said:

You and eventually about 575 others OCG :lol: That was for 1993-94 as far as I know, the ST concept even by then was quite well established.

• Funny 1

Bradford City have a scheme where if they sell 10,000 season tickets the price is frozen at less than £200, one of the lowest prices in the English leagues.  They also have a 'buy one get one free' scheme for adult season tickets, to encourage more people to get to games, they sell 25 year tickets and heavily discounted 'early bird' tickets.

Bradford's started this scheme in 2007, here are their crowds over that period:

Season / team / average / +- on previous year / highest crowd

2006/07 - Bradford City AFC 8.694 5,2% 14.925
2007/08 - Bradford City AFC 13.694 57,5% 15.510
2008/09 - Bradford City AFC 12.704 -7,2% 14.038
2009/10 - Bradford City AFC 11.423 -10,1% 12.403
2010/11 - Bradford City AFC 11.128 -2,6% 15.332
2011/12 - Bradford City AFC 10.606 -4,7% 17.014
2012/13 - Bradford City AFC 10.322 -2,7% 13.461
2013/14 - Bradford City AFC 14.121 36,8% 18.218
2014/15 - Bradford City AFC 13.353 -5,4% 16.032
2015/16 - Bradford City AFC 18.090 35,5% 20.807
2016/17 - Bradford City AFC 18.180 0,5% 21.874
2017/18 - Bradford City AFC 20.110 13 10,6% 21.403

Bradford started this scheme in 2007 after being relegated to the fourth tier of English football, their third relegation in seven seasons and the first time they'd played at that level for 25 years.  They didn't have on-pitch success immediately, finishing 10th, 9th, 14th and 18th twice in League Two, before winning promotion in 2013.  Despite being at their lowest point in decades in terms of on-pitch performance they managed to increase their crowds consistently by around 50%.  They are now consistently challenging for promotion to the Championship and have some of the best crowds in League One - their crowds this season would be mid-level in the Championship and comparable to a few Premiership sides.

This came from taking a different look and trying to find different, fan-focused ways of selling tickets.  Compare this to what we did last close season, which was maintain high Premiership prices despite having turned in an utterly dreadful season, stick out an arrogant press release about how this was a promotion season and, er, that's it.  Did anyone get together and try and think how we can increase crowds, how we can market the club better?  I doubt it.

• Agree 1

I've said this to friends before but not on here - do we have a marketing database, a list of season ticket holders, occasion ticket holders, anything like this?

I don't have a season ticket because I live in Edinburgh but I often buy tickets and I know that the club have my details and have had them for probably more than ten years.  I've never once, not once, been contacted by them with any marketing offers or information.  A few years ago I was working in West London and went to a Brentford game, which requires registering on their website and printing out tickets.  I get emails every week from Brentford, detailing how to buy tickets for that weeks game, pre and post match interviews, offers on new merchandise etc.

In the last five years we've been in two league cup semi-finals and one final, a Scottish up semi-final and final and played in Europe.  We've sold tens of thousands of people tickets for these games, some of whom will be occasional attenders.  Have we ever considered asking people what it would take for them to go from going to the odd game to buying a season ticket?  Maybe we could see people who buy tickets or merchandise and target them with season ticket offers?

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

We’ve definitely had these in the past - the club was able to identify who had bought semi-final tickets in 2015 to allow an early bird sale for the final. 

I also get marketed too from time to time as a former season ticket holder. 

38 minutes ago, ictchris said:

I don't have a season ticket because I live in Edinburgh but I often buy tickets and I know that the club have my details and have had them for probably more than ten years.

With the EU GDPR data protection legislation about to come into force - on 25 May - the club should be contacting all those whose details it holds, to see if and how they wish to continue (!) to receive marketing.

This is a legal requirement, but it's also a good incentive to reboot the club's marketing efforts ahead of next season, regardless of which division we are in.

If CJT could get their act together too, then that could be two massive steps forward in involving and increasing the support.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

With the EU GDPR data protection legislation about to come into force - on 25 May - the club should be contacting all those whose details it holds, to see if and how they wish to continue (!) to receive marketing.

That’s a very good point. I take it that should the club not do this, it would have to securely destroy all details held and start again from scratch?

Is anyone at the club responsible for marketing, or was this a victim of the cutbacks post relegation?

That is a good point.

We should employ Cambridge Analytica to target Facebook adverts at potential fans, we'll soon be the best supported club in Scotland.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

They do have a database of sorts on the ticketing system. I know that much as they take everyone's details for tickets. The only communication I get that I can think of is my yearly season ticket renewal letter.

I do receive regular emails from the ICT Community guys though telling me about upcoming courses and activities for the kids as my daughter has been on the Hotshots courses.  They are far better in this regard than the actual club. 

We truly are woeful and amateurish when it comes to promoting the club to people and businesses in the community. Hell, even with our own fans at times. You could walk and drive round Inverness all day and unless you went past the stadium I doubt a visitor would even know we had a football team let alone where it is etc. 

My understanding from the fans meetings the start of the season was that Danny M was to be championing this aspect of things but obviously he's been moved to a different role (not that anyone's actually told us this officially of course). 

• Like 1

Club offer for this weekend.....no booking fee if you buy in advance online 👍

• Agree 1

Very interesting method of marketing at Bradford and was probably very much needed at the time of their decline to the 4th tier. However, although the numbers seem good, their average attendance is about 3.5% of the population which is roughly the same as ours. Given the size of our city, and the relatively recent history of our club, we probably do as well as can be expected. A bit more flair and imagination with the marketing wouldn't go amiss though.

I get regular emails from club. I dont know if maybe its an opt in system? I assumed all ST holders got them tbh