Dennis Wyness

Kingsmills

Dennis Wyness plays his last ever game of professional football on Saturday assuming he is selected by Huntly at the grand old age of forty one.

One of the most talented and entertaining players ever to wear our shirt. His cheeky step overs will live in the memory forever and there was seldom talk of a striking crisis when he was on our books in partnership with Iain Stewart, big Brian Thomson and others.

Thanks for those great memories Denzil and enjoy your retirement from the game.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

3 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Dennis Wyness plays his last ever game of professional football on Saturday assuming he is selected by Huntly at the grand old age of forty one.

One of the most talented and entertaining players ever to wear our shirt. His cheeky step overs will live in the memory forever and there was seldom talk of a striking crisis when he was on our books in partnership with Iain Stewart, big Brian Thomson and others.

He only played with Stewart a few times in 2000 and he was never at the club at the same time as Brian Thomson.

He had his best partnerships with Paul Ritchie from 2001 until 2003 and then a purple patch in the SPL when he and Craig Dargo combined. Looking back he didn’t have the pace or power to make an impact as a striker at the top level but playing in the First division his touch and finishing ability elevated him to a different level. The guy was a joy to watch and fitted perfectly into our team at the time. The run we went on before Pele left in the winter of 2002 has to be some of the best football I’ve ever seen from us, bodying teams left!right and centre. Glorious.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

53 minutes ago, ictchris said:

He only played with Stewart a few times in 2000 and he was never at the club at the same time as Brian Thomson.

He had his best partnerships with Paul Ritchie from 2001 until 2003 and then a purple patch in the SPL when he and Craig Dargo combined. Looking back he didn’t have the pace or power to make an impact as a striker at the top level but playing in the First division his touch and finishing ability elevated him to a different level. The guy was a joy to watch and fitted perfectly into our team at the time. The run we went on before Pele left in the winter of 2002 has to be some of the best football I’ve ever seen from us, bodying teams left!right and centre. Glorious.

Sorry, middle age has dimmed my memory ?but not my appreciation of Denzils skills. I agree with Scotty that as well as being a fabulous player he was and is an absolute gentleman.

Ritchie and Wyness together were awesome and an absolute delight to watch - yup, no worries about our strikers back then. His last game for us was the final match played at the old Brockville, a great day tinged with the disappointing news of his departure - a true CaleyJags legend!

• Agree 1

My wife worked with his wife when he was at Hearts (we can forgive him for that!). We all lived in Dalgety Bay at the time. A great guy, and I really hope his future is successful. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

It's a well-earned retirement - a true ICT legend! I'll never forget that goal that knocked Celtic out of the cup in 2003!

Also remember the reception Denzil got when he returned from Hearts!  

7 hours ago, ictchris said:

Yup saw ICT rise from 3rd Division as it was to the SPL (as it was). Suspect the teams of the late 1990s / early 2000s would have thrashed the current team. No matter who the opposition were, you always felt the team had goals in them.

6 hours ago, CaleyCanary said:

His last game for us was the final match played at the old Brockville, a great day tinged with the disappointing news of his departure - a true CaleyJags legend!

and here's me thinking the day was tinged with the news that it was my last game as a UK resident ! 4 days after that game I emigrated to Canada ... bumping into David Bagan in the Glasgow airport departure lounge on the day of my flight while wearing an ICT top :) 

• Agree 1

Who can forget the goal at Tynecastle when he turned Stephane Mahe and struck it past Niemi, or the 4 against Ayr, or the many goals in routine dismantlings of County, plus the two late ones to give us a 3-3 draw at TCS at New Year.

He even passed on his 2 season tickets at St Mirren so Naelifts and I could get in. What a gent.

Edited by TheMantis
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

21 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Who can forget the goal at Tynecastle when he turned Stephane Mahe and struck it past Niemi, or the 4 against Ayr, or the many goals in routine dismantlings of County, plus the two late ones to give us a 3-3 draw at TCS at New Year.

...... and then, modest to a fault, Dennis would escape through a fire door to avoid having to talk to the press about his five star performance!

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

...... and then, modest to a fault, Dennis would escape through a fire door to avoid having to talk to the press about his five star performance!

after this I recall    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2398483/Super-Caley-shock-Celtic-in-cup-again.html             Absolutely top guy.

34 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Been a few like that over the years....for differing reasons ?

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 1:16 AM, Scotty said:

and here's me thinking the day was tinged with the news that it was my last game as a UK resident ! 4 days after that game I emigrated to Canada ... bumping into David Bagan in the Glasgow airport departure lounge on the day of my flight while wearing an ICT top :) 

But we did celebrate yer departure.

• Funny 1

6 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Apparently his nickname in the team was 'Dennis Shyness'?....I liked that about him, no ego/big headedness, just a fantastic footballer 

• Agree 1