Brewster "ready to keep on playing"

Guest Sam

Dundee United manager Craig Brewster may continue to play next season but hopes there will be new faces at the club to keep him on the sidelines.

The 39-year-old striker has been out of action since breaking his foot on his United debut in January.

"I'll certainly be involved in pre-season and try to kick on from there," he told BBC Sport.

"If I think I can make a contribution, I'll look at carrying on but I need players to keep me out of the team."

Brewster scored six goals for Inverness Caledonian Thistle this season before leaving the Highlanders to take over at Tannadice.

"At Inverness there was not so much to worry about in the background," continued Brewster.

"But at a big club like United you've got a lot more to contend with and if your mind is elsewhere it is difficult to focus on playing."

Brewster has already told four of the club's highest earners; Paul Ritchie, David Fernandez, Jim McIntyre and Derek McInnes to find new clubs.

And United are already short of numbers, according to the manager.

He added: "I've got David McCracken playing out of position at right-back, I don't have a right midfielder and only two strikers available just now.

"I need competition all over the park."

After the weekend defeat at Livingston Brewster said: "I will have to bring in at least half-a-dozen replacements and I have a list of players who I would like.

"But trying to get those new players will be a different matter.

"When you bring in players then that is when fans judge you and time will tell how well I do."

Who is he kidding?!!!

Guest kingkojak

also signed 10 youths on pro contracts - hopefully they will all get straight into the first team and brewster will cancel his shopping trip up to the sneck!

Brewster continuing to play is bad news for United (good news for everyone else) IMO. As we all witnessed when he is on the pitch the team turn into a one trick pony - long ball to Brewster. He got off with that for a good while with us but other teams were getting wise to it and they will get wise to it even quicker with United now they know what he is like.

Guest Rebelwithoutaclue

Reading between the lines in the highlighted bit does he mean that he didn't have to keep looking over his shoulder like he does at utd for eddie the hatchet? :)

"At Inverness there was not so much to worry about in the background," continued Brewster.

"But at a big club like United you've got a lot more to contend with..."

Cheeky b'staard, who's he kiddin' :evil:

He'l be out a job this time next year the rate he's going! Yes we all know united's downfall is down to mr mccall but eddie thompson doesnt work that way-he wants good results instantly.Time will tell if brew can pull it off at a so-called bigger club

"At a big club like United"

You'd think it was Real Madrid he was managing. Let's see how many fans this "big club" bring up on Saturday.

About half a busload according to the radio commentary team .....

"At Inverness there was not so much to worry about in the background," continued Brewster. "But at a big club like United you've got a lot more to contend with..."
... perhaps he means at Inverness he had a chairman who let him get on with what he was doing whereas his new employer has quite a record of making managers worry about whats going on in the background ....

"But at a big club like United you've got a lot more to contend with..."

Cheeky b'staard, who's he kiddin' :evil:

Think he's got it spot on actually!

ICT is a smaller club than Dundee United, everything is on a bigger scale at United than at ICT. I'm not saying this is always going to be the case, but at the moment it is.