'Inverness hold Niculae talks'

Libero

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're on the verge of making our biggest signing ever, and now some of our fans are complaining about it!!

Are these the same people who not so long back were complaining about lack of signings, lack of ambition, and the fact that all we ever get is players from over the bridge? Feck me, the board can't win.

It'll be a fantastic signing if it's true. Only a couple of years back, we couldn't have even dreamt of seeing players of this calibre at TCS. Now that's a possibility, I for one can't wait. Aye, he might be *****, aye he might be using us as a stepping stone.....so what. I'm pretty sure the board are smart enough to realise all this, and if they see it as an acceptable risk, then that's fine with me.

The very thing that often seems to get thrown at the club...'the small team mentality', seems to be more at home with some fans than the club itself. 

Big  :022: to the club for showing ambition, and to me moves like this signal an intent that we're not simply content with survival every season, we're looking to push on and get in that top 6.

And if it goes tits up should they be applauded for undoing the good that has been done in the last 13 years?

I don't think it is unreasonable for the fans to be cautious of this move, even Charlie hasn't seemed 100% set on it in the press.

Football is a risky business and while I do applaud the club for showing a bit of ambition it may just be that this deal is a bit too ambitous.  As I highlighted somewhere else, the cost of taking this guy in is about equal to the operating profit of the club for last year so it has the potential to do serious damage there, not to mention the damage it could have on the rest of the squad who would be on far less money.  Barry Wilson's old man commented at the last fans forum about how ICT's strength eminated from the closeness of the dressing room and this has serious potential to divide and shatter that.

I think a lot of this has to do with nervousness ...... will he be any good, is he a dud looking for a fat pay cheque, will he create disharmony amongst other players because of his wages ....... I have an open mind about the signing but I have to say I am also nervous.

As I said on another thread, if he does sign then it could go a couple of ways ....

He might be a revelation, fully committed, giving 100%, banging in goals and truly be excellent with the end result that he helps us reach the top six, maybe reach a cup final and actually generates more money for the club than he costs us before he inevitably departs. In that scenario it is an inspired signing and because the player has openly said from the start that he wants to eventually go to OF or England then we cant say it came as a surprise.

On the other hand, what if we cant get the best out of him and he doesnt score goals, doesnt try hard or his performances are hampered because his team-mates ostracise him either because of his wages, the language barrier or maybe even his ego (no-one has said what he's like yet - is he a team player or is he another Fetai ?) ..... then its no longer an inspired signing.

Its a risk - and I trust CC and GB to come to the right decision based on what they have seen in dealings with the player and in training and maybe even a run-out in tonights game (?)

As far as the club are concerned then they get  :021: :021: :021: from me .....

Well done to them for finally starting to show some ambition. Whether this player signs or not, we are finally looking somewhere other than Dingwall for replacement players. 7 players on trial right now from 5 different countries and Deano already signed. This is the start of the next level in ICT's development.

He might be a revelation, fully committed, giving 100%, banging in goals and truly be excellent with the end result that he helps us reach the top six, maybe reach a cup final and actually generates more money for the club than he costs us before he inevitably departs. In that scenario it is an inspired signing and because the player has openly said from the start that he wants to eventually go to OF or England then we cant say it came as a surprise.

On the other hand, what if we cant get the best out of him and he doesnt score goals, doesnt try hard or his performances are hampered because his team-mates ostracise him either because of his wages, the language barrier or maybe even his ego (no-one has said what he's like yet - is he a team player or is he another Fetai ?) ..... then its no longer an inspired signing.

That's the point though surely. If he's using us as a stepping stone to boost his career, then it's in his obvious interest to perform to his highest level in order to attract the bigger clubs.

Yes, there is the potential for unrest in the dressing room, but.....well, unless we want to remain at this level from here on in, then we've no option other than pushing on with the standard of players we bring in.

[edited by Scotty - sorting out the quote highlighting]

And if it goes tits up should they be applauded for undoing the good that has been done in the last 13 years?

I don't think it is unreasonable for the fans to be cautious of this move, even Charlie hasn't seemed 100% set on it in the press.

Football is a risky business and while I do applaud the club for showing a bit of ambition it may just be that this deal is a bit too ambitous.  As I highlighted somewhere else, the cost of taking this guy in is about equal to the operating profit of the club for last year so it has the potential to do serious damage there, not to mention the damage it could have on the rest of the squad who would be on far less money.  Barry Wilson's old man commented at the last fans forum about how ICT's strength eminated from the closeness of the dressing room and this has serious potential to divide and shatter that.

davieB .... perhaps I am seeming to be on both sides of the fence on this one, and thats because I am. I applaud the club for their ambition but its a risk and I am glad that its CC and GB who have to decide whether to take that risk rather than me !

This is what I posted on the "Niculae to play in Elgin" thread ......

"I can see both sides here ... and both could be right as far as I am concerned.

The player has openly said that he wants to play in the SPL in the hope he will get a dream move to either the OF or to England. He therefore sees ICT as a stepping stone to that goal. In that respect it would be reasonable to assume that he will try hard, score goals and do everything he can to put himself in the shop window .....

On the other hand, here is a player, who if you look at his stats has gone from a great early career that saw him banging in goals left right and centre for both club and country and then being snapped up by one of the traditionally big European clubs to a recent career blighted by injury and a drought in front of goal that saw his career take a downward turn as he went from Lisbon to Liege and then Mainz ..... could he be a dud looking for a pay cheque or like Dargo and many others before him, could he be a player whose career ICT resurrects ?

Its a bold move, and if he does what his early career shows he can do then he may well earn ICT as much as he costs with vital goals to take us to the top 6 or to a cup final .... This is one that CC and GB need to carefully consider and make a judgement based on what they see in training or friendlies rather than be blinded (or blindsided) by his credentials or the recommendations of Hagi/Popescu"

HOLY MOLY, LOOKS LIKE HE'S PUT PEN TO PAPER.... (Taken from TeamTalk.com)

Caley pull off Niculae coup

Inverness Caledonian Thistle have struck a deal to bring Romania striker Marius Niculae to the Scottish Premier League.

The 26-year-old, whose move is subject to a work permit being granted, will join on a two-year contract and is due to train with his new team-mates on Wednesday.

Niculae was released by German side Mainz following their relegation from the Bundesliga, and was reportedly being courted by several Continental clubs.

Niculae has scored six goals in 26 appearances for Romania and boss Charlie Christie said: "This is a big signing for us.

"Marius played in the Bundesliga last season and his final game for Mainz was against Bayern Munich so he clearly has the quality.

"We look forward to being able to work on his fitness and blending him in to the squad as soon as possible."

The deal is being part-financed by sponsorship from Inverness chairman Alan Savage's recruitment business, while the player reduced his wage demands to make the move.

Savage said: "My company does business in Romania and Niculae was recommended. When Charlie Christie was shown the DVD of the player in action he immediately said he'd love to get him.

"It is a rare opportunity to land an international player who was a free agent, thus involving no transfer fee, and the club directors were very keen to help the manager strengthen for the new SPL campaign."

Sorry, finger trouble on my last post.  I meant to highlight Caley D's first sentence only, and comment how utterly negative I thought it was.  Clearly Caley D is a 'glass half empty' character, not 'half full'.

If you knew me at all you would know that I am certainly not a "Glass Half Empty" type of person.  I have been described as a "Typical Libra" which is probably closer to the truth as I can have a tendancy to over analyse things.

My heart wants to see us make this signing and for everything to go great, my head is a little more cautious - it can see the benefits of this signing but is only too aware of the possible pitfalls.

Scotty is spot on IMO when he says that their is a lot of nervousness surrounding this one, but I think that should it go ahead then the vast majority of the fans will be behind the player (and the club) 100%.

Well there you go - the argument over should we or shouldn't we sign him looks to have been put to bed as a deal seems to have been done.

Lets look to getting behind the player and playing our part in ensuring this is a huge success story for ICT.

• 3 months later...

Re-reading this thread is fascinating reading indeed.... I wonder if some of those who contributed to it, might re-read it - and consider if their comments were well judged...

Some clearly thought Marius would score an average of about three goals a game, before moving on to Man Utd or Arsenal...!!

I would also suggest CaleyD's fears, quoted above, have proved to be quite well founded.....

My fears remain, however they may not have panned out quite as I had seen it back then

I do not believe that any problem exists between Niculae and any of the other players, and by all accounts they all get on pretty well.  If any tensions exist as a result of wages then it is between players and the club, IMO.