Citadel FC

DJS

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont forget Colin Hendrys Blackpool.

Regarding the situation of the Citadel park, was the 'knackery' not on lotland street just behind the citadel?  where Dons map is showing the park sits an old aircraft hanger which is being used by various little workshops, the hanger was used by the old Longman aerodrome (not that i remember) which i'm sure was there for a large number of years.

Mr. L. Cannon??  :symbol_question:

'L' as in 'Loose'  :023:

Is that a quote from "Against all Odds", in which case you must be referring to the Chic Allan Fan Club? I'd no idea that architect of the 83% Courier poll against the merger was still involved even indirectly by that stage... or have I got that one wrong?

Is that a quote from "Against all Odds", in which case you must be referring to the Chic Allan Fan Club? I'd no idea that architect of the 83% Courier poll against the merger was still involved even indirectly by that stage... or have I got that one wrong?

Well, to be honest, my memory's a bit foggy. Certainly Dots was involved but only Mr AD/Buenos Hornell himself could clear that up.

• 9 months later...

I'm fairly sure I'm correct in saying that the father of Billy Nelson (well known still in Sneckie), Henry Nelson, played in goal for the Citadel and performed the duties of trainer for the fantastic Dalneigh United with his son, Donnie Nelson, in goal. :rotflmao:

Billy Nelson is still match day announcer at Clach Park and usually takes the opportunity to play the "Westering Home to the Ferry" track from his own CD!

I didn't know that about Billy - who I count as a friend of mine for many years. I know he had some kind of a concert party for the tourists in the summer months. I'm still in touch with him via email.

• 2 months later...

Some twenty years ago,I was scanning a 'Football Times'which someone had sent to me and it included a photograph of the Citadel team ,around the late 1920's/early 1930's.Although no names were listed ,I recognised the goalkeeper,from old family photos,as my grandfather.The'Football Times'had requested that should anyone recognise any of the players, to get in touch.The following week they published a letter from an Invernessian of that era,who not only confirmed that the goalkeeper was indeed my grandfather,but as a boy used to call at his house where he often saw my great- grandfather ,who was the Caley goalie in the early 1900's.

• 5 months later...

Article on Inverness Football that references Citadel that some might find interesting....especially the reference to Polla Criadh....

SHEEP GRAZED ON INVERNESS NURSERY OF THE BEAUTIFUL GAME

Source: Inverness Courier (Gordon Urquhart)

The history of Football in the North of Scotland is perhaps a more exciting subject than most would think. A book published in the 17th century suggests the modern game of football may have been invented in Aberdeen.

Vocabula, written by David Wedderburn in 1633, stated that the North of Scotland had a footballing presence more than 200 years before the Football Association was formed in England. In Inverness, shortly after the publication of this book, Oliver Cromwell was laying the foundations, albeit unwittingly, for one of Inverness?s oldest teams ? Citadel. Inverness has a history of football to rival any area of Scotland, sometimes glorious and sometimes factious but rarely ever dull.

It seems that the first regulated games took place in Inverness in 1885, but unregulated football existed well before this, with reports in local newspapers from the 1820s onwards. In 1874 in the Black Isle, newspaper reports tell of a match held at Munlochy between Inverness FC and the Black Isle Wanderers.

In the year of the forming of the association Inverness Thistle and Caledonian were formed (though some argue Caledonian were a year later) and on 6th March, 1885 the Inverness Advertiser reported: ?We are glad to announce that the first football match to be played under association rules will be witnessed tomorrow in Inverness at the Northern Meeting Park.?

The association was short lived for its disbanding allowed the North FA to be set up in 1888, with Inverness Thistle, Rovers, Citadel, Caledonian, Crown and Union as its original members. Money was tight for all clubs with hardly enough for the bare essentials. In May 1892 Telford Street was let for sheep grazing to raise some much needed income. Youth policies were at best primitive at this time. The Scottish Highlander newspaper on 13th March, 1890 told of ?youths charged with breaking burgh regulations by playing football in Kenneth Street. Fined 2 shillings and 6 pence or 8 hours in prison.? Considering Caledonian?s founder members were from Kenneth Street, among other places, this was cruel irony to those boys who lost either a month?s sweetie money or some vital playing time.

The success of the North FA?s cup led to calls for a league to be set up and, in August 1893 at the Workmen?s Club on Bridge Street, the Highland Football League was set up. And while it was a Caledonian man at the helm of the office, it was Inverness Thistle who would dominate the football side in the inaugural season.

Having so many teams in Inverness, bearing in mind at this time the population was less than a third of what it is now, meant that there were several grounds; The Northern Meeting Park, Cemetery Road, Polla Criadh, Shore Street, Millburn Academy, Kessock Street, Telford Street and Kingsmills are some but not all of places where association football was played. Polla Criadh, or the ?Clay pit? was Caledonian?s spiritual home and is now home to the Glenalbyn distillery. Thistle originally played at the Millburn Academy?s school playing field until moving to Kingsmills in the 1890s after Crown FC was incorporated into the side. The move was formally sealed when they held the official opening in August 1893 and two years later Inverness Union was also incorporated into Thistle. Caledonian also held an official opening of Telford street in 1894, holding a ballad concert to raise funds for the enclosure. It would not be until 1920 that they would own Telford Street at a cost of ?275.

Many of the pitches where the other teams played have now gone, victims of a growing post-World War I population. Perhaps one of the most interesting was Inverness Citadel?s on Shore Street. Bordered by the harbour it had one small stand holding about 400 fans on the north (firth) side, with dressing rooms at the back of the stand and on the eastside was a slaughterhouse, which gave opposing teams? fans a wealth of inspiration for the inevitable goading at matches. The closure of Inverness Citadel was blamed on several factors, one being biting winds off the firth that many will testify to today.

The importance of Inverness Citadel to the eventual formation of Inverness Caledonian Thistle has never been measured, did it help or hinder the club in any way? Would things have been different had it survived? Certainly the reduction of the number teams in Inverness was an important factor, allowing Thistle and Caledonian to increase their fan bases and playing squads.

The history of ICT in modern times seems to revolve around that result against Celtic in 2000. But perhaps the most important match in Caledonian?s early history was a friendly against Celtic at Telford Street, where in front of 2000 fans the home side were beaten 4-1. Equally, Thistle?s win (nay, trounce) over Kilmarnock in 1985 is often unfairly overlooked these days and also deserves its place firmly in Scottish Cup shock history. But arguably the most significant date in post-World War II history for ICT is not 2000 but 1973, when Inverness Thistle were just one vote away from entering the Scottish league, losing out to Ferranti Thistle. Perhaps that, more than anything, has shaped the history of this club and all that has followed.

Ultimately the history of football in Inverness is still to a certain extent largely unrecorded. Little is known of Inverness FC or Rovers, and Union and Crown both form only a small part of the current publications on this subject. However, what does exist, the whereabouts largely unknown, is a plethora of memorabilia; strips, photos, cups, signs, medals, badges, flags programmes, and much more.

It is surprising to think that those born in the year of the merger of Inverness Thistle and Caledonian are now of high school age. In the year of Highland culture it would be fitting for Inverness to try to locate and exhibit these items from the history of football in Inverness so that we will all be able to see where the club has come from.

The Scottish Highlander newspaper on 13th March, 1890 told of ?youths charged with breaking burgh regulations by playing football in Kenneth Street. Fined 2 shillings and 6 pence or 8 hours in prison.? Considering Caledonian?s founder members were from Kenneth Street, among other places, this was cruel irony to those boys who lost either a month?s sweetie money or some vital playing time.

Sounds like the original Caley Rebels to me. Interesting to learn that the 1993 cohort originated from a pedigree like this! :rotflmao: