Food you dont see anymore

SMEE

Which food from the past seem to have dissappeared into oblivion? Can be anything edible.

I would like to put forward Munros pies (the best pies in history, with the tastiest ever pastry). I also used to enjoy WM Lows curry pies which had a sticky sweet sauce on the top.

From sweeties..there was splicer, the multi flavoured chewy bar, cabanas (not dissimilar to bountys) and spangles

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do those packets of dried Vesta curries still exist - they were quite the thing at one time before Indian takeaways reached the North.

God knows what was in them, or most of the stuff from takeaways come to that.

They sure do....i was planning the beef curry one the other day. I have vestaa beef risotto and prawn peaella in my cupboard as i speak

I am surprised Smee has not mentioned one of his old employers ie The Telford Bakery,  :023:  which used to be next to Merkinch school, they made lovely morning rolls amoungest other things.

I miss Texan bars also, they gave your jaw one **** of a workout as did another sweet that does not seem to be around anymore," Football Chums" they had a really strange taste but you could get them for a half p from Cambell Allans van so I bought at least 2 at a time  :004:

Bazookas

Gobstoppers

Flying saucers, meltin the mouth rice paper filled with tangy sherbet, mmmnnnn

You still can buy packets of fizzy Flying Saucers. I got them for my kids in TESCO inshes a month ago. What fun i had telling them they were toys. They were playing with them for 20 mins before i came clean. The look on their face was priceless wen i took one off them and ate it :015:

Food you dont see anymore is usually anything i buy at a certain Sommerfield store in the North of Scotland :017:

Anything i seem to buy more than 3 times usually does'nt show up again for a long time or sometimes completley taken off the shelfs.

The way they stock up is absolutley shocking too, The amount of times i've gone in on a Friday Afternoon for food for the weekend, Lack of Bread, Lack of Milk, Most things close to or bordering the sell by date  :018: :018: :018: Even on a Monday the lack of stock can be terrible.