Food you dont see anymore

SMEE

At an early age, I found out that there was a difference between Creamola Foam and Epsom Salts!

Texan Bars were ok in the summer but were dangerously brittle in cold weather. Probably withdrawn as a danger to teeth.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At an early age, I found out that there was a difference between Creamola Foam and Epsom Salts!

I have a similar story that happened to me... one day  i walked in to my mam and dads living room. saw wat i thought was mint on the table...so i picked it up and popped it in my mouth. not in the slightest put off by the strange taste i carried on sookin, only for my mouth starting to foam.

Turns out i had tried to scoff one of my dads false teeth cleaning tablets!!

Chips from chinese takeaways !!!

What's happened to them....they used to be in a big brown greasy paper bag and they were lovely soft oily chips. Now you get dried, shrivelled up pieces of potatos!  :008:

Mr Rice do both.  They normally use the larger ones your on about when you order chips and gravy/curry sauce, but if you ask for the larger ones when you order a normal portion of chips you'll get them.

Chips from chinese takeaways !!!

What's happened to them....they used to be in a big brown greasy paper bag and they were lovely soft oily chips. Now you get dried, shrivelled up pieces of potatos!  :008:

Mr Rice do both.  They normally use the larger ones your on about when you order chips and gravy/curry sauce, but if you ask for the larger ones when you order a normal portion of chips you'll get them.

We phoned to complain about the chips and tbf they delivered another bag....however they were just the same !!! Next time we went to a different establishment and guess what.....the chips were just as bad !!!

I've never tried Mr Rice CD............but I'd be very wary of any food that's been prepared in Telford Street !!! :015: :015: :015: :015: :015:

Chips will never be like the used to be. The health and hygene pc brigade have put paid to all that. Chips used to be cut on the premises, now there prepared and vacuum packed in veggie factories. They used to be cooked in dripping, now its refined vegatable oils. They used to be wrapped in good old newspaper, now its waxed paper of polystyrene boxes.

Christ knows how I ever survived yon unhealthy,, unhygenic childhood.

I've also just been informed the main reason chips don't taste the same these days is because they are no longer allowed to half cook them in advance....this is also the reason why, when they run out, it takes longer for the next batch to be ready.

Other Chip Shop Facts.....

- You no longer see Mock Chops.  These were banned after the BSE carry on.

- Traditional Saveloy are also a thing of the past as some of the additives are now banned in the food industry.

- Your batter is no longer that golden colour due to the ban on Tartrazine...alternatives are more expensive and most places simply don't bother anymore.

P.S.  Hilton Chipper is closed for the next couple of weeks....apparently my brother was due a holiday...lazy barsteward  :015:

Hilton Chipper still cut their own chips on the premises, use dripping and wrap them in newspaper (although they do have to use a plain paper layer between the newspaper and the food).

Here to help  :001:

And (I believe) they don't use frozen fish, which helps make them one of, if not the best chippy in Sneck

• 1 month later...

Fish and Chip flavoured snacks. :021:

I used to fekin LOVE em......last time i had them tho....found them very dry and hard to swallow.

Remember the first ever Curry crisps and Hedgehog flavoured crisps

There used to be a bakers in Muir of Ord that sold the most wonderful, slightly spicey, scotch pies.

That would have been about 30 years ago and I suspect they are long gone now.

All Mince Pies should be more on the spiced (peppery) side IMO.

There used to be a bakers in Muir of Ord that sold the most wonderful, slightly spicey, scotch pies.

That would have been about 30 years ago and I suspect they are long gone now.

Thats because they were made by Sweeny Todd & Co.