Caff Leaving? New Deal On Cards

RiG

*P & J*

Seems that there are a few clubs after Caff and with the chance of first team football on offer who could blame him if he left? Charlie has assured him that he is in his plans and that while some folk might be free to go he is not one of them.

Post title a bit misleading RIG. That's not what the article says. Charlie wants to keep him, so it depends what's on offer. Obviously if he gets an offer of regular first team football who could blame him for going, but what club can guarentee that?

I'm hopeful he will stay as he has still got a lot to offer the club

Post title a bit misleading RIG.

True. I should probably have put a question mark in there. At least it might get some debate going on the subject though. I did also notice that it was from yesterdays P & J. Shows how up to speed I am!

Edit: And now it's been updated to show the 26th.

He should be getting a game more regularly.

I can't imagine he would have been best pleased to be on the bench again on Saturday even when Munro was rested

I wonder who the 'one or two' that would be allowed to move if an offer came in are?? Any guesses??

Caff should certainly wait and see what happens with Dods in the summer. If Dods moves he would surely be guaranteed a first team place.

Hopefully Charlie will give him a start or two to keep him happy until then. IMHO he is our "classiest" defender.

Caff to St Mirren would be a great move for both those parties, but not for ICT. We really don't want to lose him, but you can understand the frustration of getting just a few games a season.

Personally I think he is a better central defender than Munro, but there's no justification for breaking the superb partnership we currently have at the back.

Quote from the P&J article :

"Some top-flight teams have learned of his frustrations at a lack of first-team football and the Press and Journal understands have asked his agent, Blair Morgan, about his availability."

Aye, right! Me thinks the agent was rather more proactive than that sentence implies.

Personally, I'd be gutted if Caff had to leave. He's done a turn when he's been asked to this year, and it's just bad luck for him that we've been so consistant at the back. He also seems to be good with the reserves, talking some of the younger guys through games, and overall seems the kind of guy you'd want at a club.

Mystified as to why he hasn't started the last couple of games though. Any chance we can turn this into a "Caff must stay" thread?!

I really expected him to feature in the post-split games

Still the club stuck by him when he had his back injury - hopefully he'll repay the debt

He's certainly the best passer in the defence

He's certainly the best passer in the defence

He's the best defender in the defence as well IMO. We should be doing everything we can to hold on to quality players such as Caff, and I hope we are. Ultimately though, he'd be right to leave if someone else could guaruntee him first team football.

I don't think that he is better than Munro myself but I do actually rate him above Tokley in the right back role. At present I think our best back four consists of Golly, Dods, Munro and Caff. Not saying Tokley is poor or anything but I think that Caff is a more solid player in the right back role but maybe doesn't quite get forward as much as Tokley.

And now it seems he is getting a contract extension!

*Caff To Extend Deal*

We are actually talking about a player who has very limited SPL experience. We are dwelling on the SFL Caff. I suspect the only club going in fer him is St Midden as he is cheap and potentially available. I suspect that Caff wants to stay around to suss out next seasons squad. He could have left before now.

I did actually think of Falkirk when other clubs were interested in him and he would be a good signing for any of those teams. Livi have the Robbo link and after we defeated Well Butcher threatened to sack half his team so I am sure Caff would fit in there! I would still prefer him to stay though. At least until we see what happens with Machine and these Yinited links.

The question is, does he want to take a step down to better his chances of playing first team football, or does he want to bide his time with us in the hope that he gets his chance again next season.

I think the fact we have players who are so eager to play is a testament to them and the work ethos at ICT. Their are plenty players in the game who are only too happy to sit on the bench or in the stands every week and collect a wage whereas our players want to get out there and do what they get paid to do.

What CC needs to do (and what I think Brewster failed to do) is to use that hunger to our advantage with some additional squad rotation. Players also have to realise that if they are being rotated that it is not necessarily because they are doing any wrong or not performing and more to do with keeping the team fresh and fighting.

I.H.E., I think you are being slightly unfair to Caff - he has done OK in the SPL considering most of his appearances have been covering for injury or suspension. Certainly up until he lost his place to Dodsy he had done well and was unlucky to lose his place at all - his sending off was a bit dodgy.

I really hope we keep him as he is excellent cover. Perhaps Caff should look to Richard Hastings for inspiration - Hastings was barely involved last season but is a first choice player this season. If Dods or Granty were injured, suspended or left Caff can walk into the side.

We are now in the very fortunate position of having at least six very c.apable defenders so someone is going to ose outl on regular first team football.

At this moment in time Caff is one of those out of the team but far from out of the picture. I'm sue if he bides his time he will become a regular again although, at his stage in his career, you can appreciate his frustration.

Hope Caff stays, I think he is an excellent player just hasn't got the height and build of Dodsy or Munro for a centre half. When he played right bk for Tokely against Celtic and Hibs he was my MOTM for both games which shows he has plenty potential as an SPL player. Would like to see him playing infront of the defence think he could be an excellent defensive mid, as Caley D says I hope that CC can keep a hold of him next season and use the squad rotation so everyone gets their chance.

If I was Caff I would feel I'm not getting a fair crack of the whip.

People mention Hastings, aye he did sit on the bench for a long time, then when Golly got injured, his standard of play merited him retaining his place.

I'm not sure on this, but to mind Caff has played 3 SPL games this season (Hearts, Celtic, Hibs)??...and in each game was, arguably our MOTM. Yet every time the regular starter is fit/available again, Caff gets dropped.

I'd love him to stay, he's as good as anyone else in our defence, and he's still young. Unfortunately, I can see all those plus points attracting offers for him this summer.

Hope Caff stays, I think he is an excellent player just hasn't got the height and build of Dodsy or Munro for a centre half. When he played right bk for Tokely against Celtic and Hibs he was my MOTM for both games which shows he has plenty potential as an SPL player. Would like to see him playing infront of the defence think he could be an excellent defensive mid, as Caley D says I hope that CC can keep a hold of him next season and use the squad rotation so everyone gets their chance.

I disagree about his build. He would still make a superb centre half and indeed did for a long time. his reading of the game is by far superior to Dods or Munro so that, in my opinion, makes up for any physical let down that Caff might have.

Another strength is his passing out of defence. I always thought he was as good as Mr Mann when it came to distribution of the ball as we tried to get up the other end of the pitch.

And he can play right back as well as do all this! I would be sad to see him go.