Dmacca

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest couchpotato

What do Irish battles fought over 300 years ago have to do with Scottish football ?

History lesson................The Battle of the Boyne was fought between refuge seeking Jacobites and English forces. Both sides recruited the assistance of Irishmen, most of whom ran away when the battle started. If you ever get the chance to be in that area go see the battlefield and the relics of that skirmish. Reminded me a bit of Culloden but with a river.

So they were football playing Jacobites?

How do Scottish people say "wee" instead of little?

You mean : Why do Scottish people say "wee" instead of little?

I've heard Americans use the word "wee" on numerous occasions... although it is a word you seldom hear uttered in England.

Why do Scottish people use the word "how" when they really mean "why"...?

:024:

Guest couchpotato

Should that not be    how do Scottish people use the word "how" when they mean "why"

although it is a word you seldom hear uttered in England.

Phonetically speaking, they use it often to remind us they won the world cup...........we won the world cup in 1966,  Did you :010:

Guest TinCanFan

How do Scottish people say "wee" instead of little?

You mean : Why do Scottish people say "wee" instead of little?

I've heard Americans use the word "wee" on numerous occasions... although it is a word you seldom hear uttered in England.

:029:

Guest TinCanFan

Where does the term "hear hear" come from?

Has anyone noticed the mistake is the name if this thread which has been here for months?

It was one of lifes great unanswered questions............................until you answered it :029:

My buddie Wikipedia said...........

Hear hear is an expression that originated as hear ye, or hear him, usually repeated. This imperative was used to call attention to a speaker's words, and naturally developed the sense of a broad expression of favour. This is how it is still used today, although one can always vary one's tone to express different sentiments; the Oxford English Dictionary noted around the turn of the century that the phrase is now the regular form of cheering in the House of Commons, and expresses, according to intonation, admiration, acquiescence, indignation, derision, etc.

As a parliamentary cheer, hear him, hear him! is first recorded in the late 17th century and continued into the 19th; the reduction to hear! or hear, hear! occurred by the late 18th century. However, the use of the verb hear as an imperative meaning listen! is older: a notable example is the parliamentary-sounding Then cried a wise woman out of the city, Hear, hear (2 Samuel 20, verse 16) in the King James Bible, first published in 1611.

Aside from the interjection, a number of other forms are found, such as a hear, hear (originally, of course, a hear him or hear ye), "a cheer"; hear-hear, to shout "hear, hear!"; and hear-hearer[citation needed], a person who shouts "hear, hear!".

Source: Partial citation of a "words at random" posting on the randomhouse.com website

I'd thought about going along to support it until I realised that they were including a whole lot of Irish things in it like Guinness (which I don't like) and Irish Jigs (and presumably yon funny dancing where you flap your feet about and keep your arms straight down by your sides - I Flatley refuse to do it  :015:).

So I deicded instead to help a couple of very worthy individuals to celebrate their birthdays!