The What Are You Listening To? Thread

RiG

• 1 month later...

Duratti Collum are brilliant Starchief

Check out their early or first album maybe, the one with the sandpaper cover, some clever clogs can maybe tell us what it's called. Anyone?"

oops sorry for the delay. Yeah, first album called Return of the Durutti Column. The sandpaper sleeve was to scratch any other record alongside it. Vini Reilly didn't mean to make a record. Tony Wilson hired a studio for him to put down some songs. Next thing he knew, Factory had released it as an album.

Similar thing with Buddy Holly. Went in to a rehearsal studio. Engineer thought it sounded pretty good so recorded it and sold it. Buddy only found out he had a record out when a DJ set a world record for continuous plays of one song (he barricaded the door to stop his radio bosses getting into the DJ booth).

Mostly listening to the Fall these days. Here's their first tv appearance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuuwgmT3STM

@ Starchief.....this may be of slight intrest to you. In dec 1998, i went down to Derby, to do a two week course to train to be an insurance salesman. I got freindly with a guy from Blackburn called Chris. He was a cool guy. Anyhoo....turns out....he was freindly with The Fall band members inc Mark E Smith, and in fact, sometimes went on BEFORE the band and read out his poetry. He also knew the guys from James...which is more impressive to me, considering they are my No 2 all time faves :)

I have tried to find chris again on facebook, but i can remember his surname....but he had the same surname im sure, as one of the guys associated with Mark Radcliffe when he was on Radio 1, whatever it was.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Trembling Blue Stars - Fast Trains and Telegraph Wires: beautiful dream indie pop electronica. Probably listened to them more than any other band in the last two decades. Sadly, songwriter Bobby Wratten has announced this is their last album :cry:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...