Is Inverness a football city?

Aim High

Interview with Brew in Scotsman Sports pages today.

Talking about what he wants to achieve, expectations of club, supporters etc.

Quote -"I think the potential is here. Unlike Inverness, Dundee is a football city. It's worth it."

What do folk think? Are Invernessians still getting used to the idea of SPL football, how many years does it take to become a football city?

Guest kingkojak

the sneck IS a football city as was characterised by the highland league for many many years - am not to hot on the HL history but my understanding is that it was formed in the sneck..

so in that regard yes, the sneck is a football city,

however, i would agree that it isnt a SPL football city yet! hopefully it will only take a couple more seasons of the top flight to bring the home crowds up to a 7000/8000 average.

At the end of the day though brewster is talking oot his erse yet again, sadly for Utd though his drivel is the only positive coming oot of the tannadice for the arab support.

Guest kingkojak

ITN jr hit the nail on the nod - dundee has been very close over the past couple seasons to having two 1st division teams...

Brewster's a sore loser after "non footballing" city Inverness beat his team of superstars last week. Next time I bump into him I'll be jarring him! :D

The Highland League was formed in a club on Bridge Street in 1893. The founder members included Caley Clach and Thistle all of which had their origins in the 1880s. In contrast Dundee FC was formed in 1893 while Dundee United are very much New Kids on the Block, having been formed in 1909. Until the 1930s there was also a fourth Inverness club, Citadel, in the Highland League.

For allegedly not having a football tradition, Inverness seems to have done rather well, finishing for the last two seasons ahead of both clubs from the City of Discovery.

I suppose Inverness can also lay claim to being a "football city" on the strength of long term support here for Celtic (founded 1888) and Rangers (founded 1690).

I think I know what Brew means - it's a traditional thing in industrial cities and towns like Glasgow, Liverpool Newcastle and Dundee to name some, where workers were given Saturday afternoon off to watch their local team. And football was probably the main topic of conversation as it was consequently their only outside interest. Places like Inverness never really had that background.

However it doesn't really apply now as yer average docker is more into fashion and Coronation Street. I think Inverness is just as much a football city as any of the others.

Incidentally, Charles B., I didn't realise Rangers had been around so long. Some political message there maybe. . . . . ?

Inverness certainly was a football town (as it was then before gaining City status), at one time boasting 4 Highland League teams. However, as it has doubled in size over the last 40 years or so mainly by an influx of professional or retired people, the traditional grass roots working class football supporters are now proportionately fewer in numbers. Also, it takes time, maybe generations, for newcomers to form a strong allegiance to their new area, let alone football team. So, maybe there is some truth in the suggestion that Inverness is not a 'football' city.

The only sense that Inverness is not a football city is that the town and it's clubs were excluded from mainstream national league football for over a century.

However, we are fast making up for lost time, whereas Dundee, as has been pointed out, has all the appearances o a city in steep decline and not just in the footballing sense.

just to add the point that the way things are going the great footballing city of scumdee will shortly only have 1 football club if dundee keep going the way they are going. Brew is just a VVank. just ignore his comments they aint worth anything

In my opinion, Inverness is not yet a 'FOOTBALL' CITY. We've only been a city for six years. We have had football for many years but only recently have we had ambition. Prior to 94 we were happy to stick in in our wee highland league. Although football was played in the highlands a hundred years ago it was never seen as our main source of entertainment. Shinty, Rugby and Curling were the dominant sports. Now we have a chance to establish ourselves as a football city lets grasp it and show the world who we are.

I think Brews comments are another example of the fact that united are living in the past harping back to the days of european cup runs and championship winning campaigns whilst we were still just two clubs involved in non-league football. In a modern sense Inverness has now had a club challenging for a top 6 berth in the SPL whilst Dundee's 2 clubs have flirted with relegation and both have been relegated in the past deacade making us more of a footballing city on the pitch atleast.

Also 1690

Whats with Brewster and all the cheap shots at Inverness on every given opportunity?

I'm getting sick of it as well.

I no longer have respect for him and I really hope he fails miserably at United.

What a stupid comment Brew, to the team and city who gave you yer chance....well it looks like you might get found out now.

With continuing improvement like this season, and good performances, we will start to get more fans through the turnstile...we are a young city with a new SPL team but we learn fast and can hold our own against the so-called big city teams.

Perhaps it's time to remind our Arab friends that with both the Dundee 'city' clubs in trouble one way or another, the unthinkable might come back on the agenda...MERGER TIME...... Bobby Mann & Craig Brewster...what a management team.....?...OK it's only a dream....

This is complete sh@te from Brewster he is trying to deflect the pissh poor results of his "preferred" super team,Nae Wins Nae Support!!!!

Inverness is a genuine City (incl football) earned on quality NOT quanty!!!

He left the Team ,"tell him to go and Feck himself"

This is complete sh@te from Brewster he is trying to deflect the *beep* poor results of his "preferred" super team,Nae Wins Nae Support!!!!

Inverness is a genuine City (incl football) earned on quality NOT quanty!!!

He left the Team ,"tell him to go and Feck himself"

Spot and on. You'll like this article then we is already saying that he is working for his future! :lol:

*BBC Sport*

The only sense that Inverness is not a football city is that the town and it's clubs were excluded from mainstream national league football for over a century.

Totally agree!! The rest of Scottish football chose not to accept representation from Inverness. It seems quite an ignorant statement from Brewster?

In my opinion, Inverness is not yet a 'FOOTBALL' CITY. We've only been a city for six years. We have had football for many years but only recently have we had ambition. Prior to 94 we were happy to stick in in our wee highland league. Although football was played in the highlands a hundred years ago it was never seen as our main source of entertainment. Shinty, Rugby and Curling were the dominant sports. Now we have a chance to establish ourselves as a football city lets grasp it and show the world who we are.

I don't agree Alex......Jags showed ambition in '73 and applied to join the Scottish League. We all know what happened on that occasion and just rewards were dished out today !!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8)

1690?!?! :shock: what the feck did they do for the first two hundred years?

I think you will find Charles was being 'tongue in cheek' and chose a significant date in history rather than the true date of formation.