The golfer and the jam boy....

Johnboy

No - It's not a reference to Hearts supporters...

I'm in the process of organising a trip to South Africa in January to visit an old mate, and looking forward to playing some golf when out there.

Speaking to my mate by phone the other night, he was telling me about the various courses around the J'burg area, and the costs involved in hiring a caddy, or a buggy etc;

There is one course in the area apparently, where flies are a real menace and can completely ruin a round of golf. South Africans however, are very resourceful people and have fortunately developed a solution for this problem :

Jam boys : Apparently there are any number of young local boys, who are more than happy to smear jam all over their heads and bodies, which effectively stops the flies from bothering the golfers. By way of reward they seek nothing more than to keep the jam they use during a round, which they then take home to their families etc....!! 

Nelson Mandella and his ANC party have decreed that this practice is now illegal - but unofficially it still goes on. At this stage in my plans for this golfing break, I'm not sure whether I would want to play a course where the flies are such a problem - and not sure either if I would want to use a service of this kind.

I suspect Sophia might never speak to me again if I did..!!

Could you not just have a wee tray tied to the buggy with 20-25 ft of string, and on that tray lay some jam? or even some fresh dog cr*p?  this would work just as well. :014:

Not a bad idea that, Caley100......

Not sure if the flies would find that as appealing as a little boy covered in jam.... :popular02: