Chippies of Sneck

caley100

The chip shop in culloden sucks, the codfather was ok, chip shop on millburn road seems to have gone missing :023: , mr chips was ok, lorimers has good chips and they do curly fries, the chips from the pizza place (1st pizza I think) are a hit or a miss so for me it has to be hilton.

I was in nairn once and I had the best chips and sausage, not sure if it's still around.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The chip shop in culloden sucks, the codfather was ok, chip shop on millburn road seems to have gone missing :023: , mr chips was ok, lorimers has good chips and they do curly fries, the chips from the pizza place (1st pizza I think) are a hit or a miss so for me it has to be hilton.

I was in nairn once and I had the best chips and sausage, not sure if it's still around.

I'm pretty sure that Nairn is still around.

• 1 month later...

Ronnies was always ace. Fish and scampi excellent and macaroni pie supper with pickled onion the bees knees. Ah the good old days in the old I R A.

So when were you a pupil at Midmills, Hearach? From your user name, were you a Drummond Park Hostel boy? I usually went home for lunch but when I didn't is was usually school dinners rather than the Chipper. Was Ronnie's the Eastgate one?

Midmills School Dinners! You would charge towards the octagonal tables and try to grab one of the serving spoons in the order "Meat, Poodeen, Ta'ees and Veg". Then somebody would go up to the hatch and return with aluminium containers from which you would be served with some kind of vile Irish Stew with apologies for meat and a few blobs of fat floating in this dubious looking brown liquid. This would be followed by rice pudding which you could use to cement bricks.

Yeah Ronnies on Eastgate, along from Burnetts the bakers which is now Girvans. They had the best pies and cakes. And there was a wee shop there too I think for cans of juice, curly wurlys etc. What was the name of the shop across from the Academy that is now a hairdressers?

I left after 6th year in 1975, a few years after yourself. Didn't bother with school dinners until 6th year because by then you got in first and didn't have to queue. And didn't stay in hostel as family moved to mainland.

What was the name of the shop across from the Academy that is now a hairdressers?

It was a grocer's which I think was called Allans. I believe they had other shops in town, I think including one on Kenneth Street. It's now Chris Crook's hairdressers that's in there.

The legendary "grocer's" shop up there was, of course, Frankie Jew's (or Galloways to those who remember it before about 1966). Frank was an institution of the Crown and was best known for selling single cigarettes, certainly for threepence before decimalisation. He would then charge an extra ha'penny for a match if a smoker needed one.

"A single out of Frankie Jews" was a necessity for those who smoked although I was told that for their threepence they would never get anything more elaborate than a Number 6.

Did Calum MacSween who was in my year and is now Rector of Charleston Academy not also come from Harris? I think he may have arrived in Third Year after a couple of years at Sir E. Scott.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Greenlees seems to ring a bell somewhere. Was that down at the bottom of Stephens Brae? And there used to be steps adjacent to the Brae which lead down to a wee shop run by Serafinis but cannot remember what that sold. And where was Bernardis?

MacSween is a good Harris surname - usually from Scalpay. And all Hearachs spent time at Sir Edward Scott Junior Secondary school at some stage if they had half a brain.

Greenlees seems to ring a bell somewhere. Was that down at the bottom of Stephens Brae? And there used to be steps adjacent to the Brae which lead down to a wee shop run by Serafinis but cannot remember what that sold. And where was Bernardis?

MacSween is a good Harris surname - usually from Scalpay. And all Hearachs spent time at Sir Edward Scott Junior Secondary school at some stage if they had half a brain.

I have to admit that I'm a bit hazy about Eastgate brefore it was knocked down - which is ridiculous because I went along Eastgate 2 or 4 times a day for six years whilst going to school! Was Greenlees on the opposite side of Eastgate but almost at the bottom of the hill? Bernardis - was that on the Stephen's Brae side and almost at the bottom of the hill - round about where the Chinese and the Celtic Shop are now? And the only steps that I can think of that might have led off the Brae might have been down to the bottom of Crown Brae behind the Plough. But the only premises I can remember there was Mason's electrical shop (owned by the grandfather of the twins who play for Inverness City) which was on the Eastgate/ Crown Brae corner.

And where did the Hearachs who didn't have half a brain go? :tonguecheek:

I have to admit that I'm a bit hazy about Eastgate brefore it was knocked down - which is ridiculous because I went along Eastgate 2 or 4 times a day for six years whilst going to school! Was Greenlees on the opposite side of Eastgate but almost at the bottom of the hill? Bernardis - was that on the Stephen's Brae side and almost at the bottom of the hill - round about where the Chinese and the Celtic Shop are now? And the only steps that I can think of that might have led off the Brae might have been down to the bottom of Crown Brae behind the Plough. But the only premises I can remember there was Mason's electrical shop (owned by the grandfather of the twins who play for Inverness City) which was on the Eastgate/ Crown Brae corner.

And where did the Hearachs who didn't have half a brain go? :tonguecheek:

Wasn't Greenlees the name of the shop which Henry Pieraccini ran as a newsagents/gift shop ?

Would just like to clear a few things up from previous threads.The bakers in eastgate was not burnetts it was Skinners bakery.Greenlees was a newsagents run by Henry Pierarcinni who was the brother of Ronnie who ran the chippie,a brill chippie indead> Mario Bernardi had a shop opposite ronnies chippie and then moved across the roadWhen the first bit of the demolition started.His son Peter was a regular staff member he now works in Jonny Foxes .I have great memories of the old eastgate as I used to cycle that way from school and later work

What about the good old mock chop and chips from renzos round by the college.

As for the Academy chipper, I remember going in there years and years ago,looking up at the board and seeing a delicious tempting pizza so I asked for 1, it took the girl a good couple of minutes to find it at the bottom of a chest freezer with her feet near off the deck rummaging so deeply,eventually a circular thing was produced covered in ice and it went straight in the fryer, when it was cooked it looked nothing like the picture and gave me extreme food poisoning for the day, ahh the good old days.