Amazing facts about Inverness?

SMEE

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robert Watson Watt spent his declining years as a long term patient at Craig Dunain Hospital.

As well as being credited for inventing radar he has a strong claim to being the true inventor of television as he was sending imagas through the ether in the mid twenties before either John Logie Baird or Marconi.

Neil M. Gunn, greatest ever Scottish novelist IMHO, was the subject of a thread on these boards at one time. Had a house in Dochfour Drive, was stationed at Glen Mhor distillery, and was partial to a bit of football, so there's every chance he was an occasional Howden Ender  :022:

The British Cabinet have only ever convened outwith Westminster on one occasion and hat was at Inverness Town House during WWII.

Now I know that's true

I'm afraid it's not... quite. The cabinet meeting held in Inverness was in 1921 to discuss the Irish Question which was coming to a head at that time. The meeting was in September, during the Parliametary recess (these MPs get longer holidays than teachers  :015:), which meant that a lot of the MPs were huntin' shootin' and fishin' in the Highlands. As a result the meeting was held in the Council Chamber within Inverness Town Hall.

The cabinet meeting held in Inverness was in 1921 to discuss the Irish Question which was coming to a head at that time. The meeting was in September, during the Parliametary recess (these MPs get longer holidays than teachers  :015:), which meant that a lot of the MPs were huntin' shootin' and fishin' in the Highlands. As a result the meeting was held in the Council Chamber within Inverness Town Hall.

http://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/item/item_pho...sp?item_id=5662

even made it into the New York Times http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/...amp;oref=slogin

The cabinet meeting held in Inverness was in 1921 to discuss the Irish Question which was coming to a head at that time. The meeting was in September, during the Parliametary recess (these MPs get longer holidays than teachers  :015:), which meant that a lot of the MPs were huntin' shootin' and fishin' in the Highlands. As a result the meeting was held in the Council Chamber within Inverness Town Hall.

even made it into the New York Times http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/...amp;oref=slogin

If you look closely at a blow up of the photo, you'll just spot Jock Watt, Scarlet Pimple, CMIB and Mantis.  :015:

I'll get my coat.  :getmecoat:  lol

I was close though....almost.

Guest SuilbhirCroat

Well, this is what i found :

Women dominate the public administration, education and health sector. More than 45% of the city's female workforce work in this area.  :023:

Wel done, ladies! :004:

If you look closely at a blow up of the photo, you'll just spot Jock Watt, Scarlet Pimple, CMIB and Mantis.  :015:

Modest as ever from CB. The crowd was actually there in his honour - he was given a civic reception as he had just completed 50 years with the BBC.

The River Ness is the third biggest river in the UK (in terms of the rate of water flow).

I would never have guessed that! In saying that.....when the Ness is in full flow....you can see shes a very powerful beast. Often wondered if they could somehow harness the power when its in spate.

And linoleum was made in quantity at Kirkcaldy.

1921 eh, Charles.?  Not even Jock was alive then. Pshaw!

But it is possible that Daddy Pimpernel was there, He could hardly have missed it  since it was a pivotal moment in history--come to think of it I do remember daddy saying something about how he visited Fort George area for a breath of fresh sea air about that time and that must have been the time of the great decision to build Codswallop Hall . :012:

Watt, the man who invented radar ,was born about 1918-1920 and Scarlet was born in 1938 and about twenty years after that  became an underground  radar operator in the RAF under the guise of being a National Service man--at 3 pounds 3 shillings a week no less. The British Government obviously continues to think that it is important for tradition to take precedence over doing the right thing and has gleefully continued this unfair, stingy, mean-spirited attitude by refusing to upgrade the pensions of all expats who live in a former Commonwealth country annually by the inflation rate allowed to all other former British pensioners living anywhere else in the world. So, if you need the pension money when you retire forget about emigrating to Canada to live with your sons or daughters..... :029:

These photos from the archives are fascinating. Spent a couple of hours going through all the links. The notes about Mr Barron who became the owner of the Courier in 1910 (?) is probably of interest to you Charles. And horse trading and wool sales in Bank Street resulting from the vicious and bloody Clearances...and the fact that the original old Inverness had only three streets namely High Street, Church Street and Castle Street . What a find these photos are.

'Bye from Canada  :sillywave:

• 7 months later...

My old school class mate was Ian Black,not the Caley player but the swimmer, who was the British Empire and Commonwealth champion and who was the B.B.C. Sports Personality of 1958. Although the media usually credited Aberdeen as his home city,he attended Central Primary School and lived in Chapel Street,Inverness until he was 11,when his family moved to Aberdeen.I have always been surprised that his hometown has paid him such little recognition.

Actress Tilda Swinton, a recent oscar nominee, lives in Nairn, in what strikes me as a complicated relationship.

Read all about it

and she was recently on David Letterman and they had a good laugh about ..... "Nairrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrn", sure the clip will be on youtube somewhere..