Amazing facts about Inverness?

SMEE

Messrs Preece and Findlay never taught this at the IRA

They never taught much as far as i remember. :rotflmao: Neither did that Bannerman chappy in chemistry... :thumb04:

The "secret volcano" scenes in the 007 movie You Only Live Twice were filmed in the old sandpit in Hilton Primary School...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Messrs Preece and Findlay never taught this at the IRA

They never taught much as far as i remember. :018: Neither did that Bannerman chappy in chemistry... :thumb04:

The "secret volcano" scenes in the 007 movie You Only Live Twice were filmed in the old sandpit in Hilton Primary School...

Please have a look at my avatar...and my user name, for the real McCoy :rotflmao:

On May 21st 1960, The Beatles played Inverness once officially under the name The Silver Beetles as a back up band to Johnny Gentle, they played what was the Northern Meeting Ball Room which is now a clothes shop at the top of church street. They lived in a boarding house down the ferry. They also played the Town Hall-Forres and the Regal Ballroom-Nairn on the 26th & 27th May 1960.

The Band consisted of John Lennon, Paul Mcartney, George Harrison, Stuart Sutcliffe & and a drummer called Tommy.

Also on the bill that night was Ronnie Watt & the Checkers Dance band.

On that note, legend has it that The Beatles ( with Ringo) played a secret gig at Craig Dunain hopsital in 1964, but i have been unable to confirm this.

On that note, legend has it that The Beatles ( with Ringo) played a secret gig at Craig Dunain hopsital in 1964, but i have been unable to confirm this.

IHE's 40th Birthday party ?

Actress Tilda Swinton, a recent oscar nominee, lives in Nairn, in what strikes me as a complicated relationship.

Read all about it

and she was recently on David Letterman and they had a good laugh about ..... "Nairrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrn", sure the clip will be on youtube somewhere..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYykI78bBAI

Actress Tilda Swinton, a recent oscar nominee, lives in Nairn, in what strikes me as a complicated relationship.

Read all about it

and she was recently on David Letterman and they had a good laugh about ..... "Nairrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrn", sure the clip will be on youtube somewhere..

So, in summary, it appears that the most amazing fact about Inverness is that it's near bohemian and cosmopolitan Nairn :rotflmao:

A couple of significant literary facts that haven't been mentioned:

"Josephine Tey", very popular crime novelist in the inter-war period, had novels adapted for cinema, I think, and most still in print - born Elizabeth Mackintosh in Inverness in 1896 and attended the IRA. Always wondered whay the town has not made more of this connection;

More recently, the God-like Ali Smith, twice Man Booker nominated and one of the best writers working in the UK today, born Inverness in 1962 and went to the High School. First novel "Like" features Inverness heavily and the town is also the setting for a lot of her short stories. I'd recommend "Like" to anyone who enjoys reading.

Still awaiting Millburn's first great contribution to world culture, however...

• 2 weeks later...

Read all about it

So, in summary, it appears that the most amazing fact about Inverness is that it's near bohemian and cosmopolitan Nairn :rotflmao:

:thumb04: never miss a chance eh?

Is that new names for caravans?

Oh me oh my, 3 pages and no ones said anything about the battle of Culloden, the site of the last Civ War On the UK main land.... id say thats very important......

What? That the battle of culloden actually took place on Drumossie moor? It may have been important but it wasn't a civil war. It was an attempt to regain the throne that was usurped by the Dutchman and I wouldn't say it was an 'amazing fact about Inverness.

Seems Inverness will always be the town where the Monster lives....?

Doesn't matter where you go in the world when you say you are from Inverness the response if not a bewildered look is most commonly 'Have you seen the monster'....

So the blueprint for the Anglo-Irish Treaty may have been agreed in Inverness, the odd Politician and Sportsperson may have been born here, the last battle on British soil held on its doorstep, it's royal patronage...etc etc....but that all means nothing when compared to a fictitious monster of lore.... :rotflmao:

Oh me oh my, 3 pages and no ones said anything about the battle of Culloden, the site of the last Civ War On the UK main land.... id say thats very important......

What? That the battle of culloden actually took place on Drumossie moor? It may have been important but it wasn't a civil war. It was an attempt to regain the throne that was usurped by the Dutchman and I wouldn't say it was an 'amazing fact about Inverness.

aye Drumossie moors part of Inverness.... as for it not being a Civil War it was the last battle fought on UK mainland soil....

South east of Inverness and a few miles south west of Nairn in Scotland

Combatants: The Highland Army of Prince Charles and the Royal Troops of George II

also stated that it was the last battle on the mainland.. id say its pritty important to mention.... but that just IMO, im sure i have that right.....

It may have been important but it wasn't a civil war.

I think I might disagree there Alex in that what ended at Culloden was a war, or indeed a series of five wars (1689-90, 1708, 1715, 1719 and 1745) which was entirely internal to the United Kingdom and between two factions which both wanted to rule the country on their terms. From that point of view it's no different from the Civil War of the 1640s, principally called the "English" Civil War but which also had significant ramifications in Scotland in that the upshot was the ousting of Charles I who was king of both countries at the time and his replacement by Cromwell's Commonwealth. Of course what ended at Culloden is actually called "The 45 Rebellion", but possibly in part because those who rebelled lost. In the case of the English Civil War, the rebels won so that may have been why they called it a Civil War instead of a Rebellion.

There are also parallel with the American Civil War in that it also was fought between two opposing factions within the same nation, although the causes etc are somewhat different.

As for the "monster" don't get me started on the most lucrative con in the history of tourism.... :rotflmao:

Edited by Charles Bannerman

As for the "monster" don't get me started on the most lucrative con in the history of tourism.... :rotflmao:

Totally agree Charles but the Highland economy would be a heck of a lot worse of with out the income it takes in from the tourists wanting to spot Nessie

Edited by stevico1

It usually costs a large Glenlivet to use my photos Gorgeous.

Sorry, ive had your site on my Fav's for years i loved the LSM section and as an old school Caley fan i used to remanis now and then, ill change if it you want.. i do love that pic it brings back so many memorys, we'd hit the gate me and my uncle kevin, id go left and Get in the big gate with my blue boy card.... mint

I think I might disagree there Alex in that what ended at Culloden was a war, or indeed a series of five wars (1689-90, 1708, 1715, 1719 and 1745) which was entirely internal to the United Kingdom and between two factions which both wanted to rule the country on their terms. From that point of view it's no different from the Civil War of the 1640s, principally called the "English" Civil War but which also had significant ramifications in Scotland in that the upshot was the ousting of Charles I who was king of both countries at the time and his replacement by Cromwell's Commonwealth. Of course what ended at Culloden is actually called "The 45 Rebellion", but possibly in part because those who rebelled lost. In the case of the English Civil War, the rebels won so that may have been why they called it a Civil War instead of a Rebellion.

There are also parallel with the American Civil War in that it also was fought between two opposing factions within the same nation, although the causes etc are somewhat different.

All since 1707 were referred to as uprisings and not wars. Most of the cross border melee's from about the ninth century were more skirmishes and battles every now and again as opposed to what we would think of as outright war. They would have a fight in the summer time after the crops were planted then go home for the harvest then maybe, if the winter wasn't too hard, have another wee fight before planting time again. 1708 was more the people of Scotland showing their objections to the so-called Earls of Scotland who sold their country down the river for land.

The Cromwellian wars were reformists versus Catholics..........not unlike the Glasgow wars of today