"Dils" Hendry

Guest Jock Watt

What a great photograph.  I must admit that, had I been asked, I would have said that 'Joopy'Mitchell didn't leave Caley until a year or two later than that.  It would be great to have a 'where are they now?' on all of the team shown.  I know that Rod Clyne passed away many years ago, and Tom McNiven (the trainer), but I don't know about any of the others.  Interesting to see how many of that Jags team also played for Caley at some point, Mitchell, Clyne, Jamieson, Christie.

I remember big Dils playing left - half for the Jags, watched him play many times, for a big man he had wonderful ball skills and ball control, he really was a joy to watch.

He is indeed a member of Inverness Golf Club.

I believe he stays in Old Edinburgh Road near the old Hilton Hospital.

Also in the photo I remember Davie Christie, who played many years (also at left)  half for Caley. Davie was the nephew of Scot Symon who was the manager of Glasgow Rangers in the 50's. He married a fellow Lilac Grover, the sister of a well known local whose name has been mentioned on this site - Rod (The Mod) Mac Donald!

Going back to Jock's Photo, the amount of Local football talent, not just footballers but entertainers and characters that were at Kingsmills,Telford St. and Grant St. in that era and the next couple of decades was unbelieveable, especially when our population was half of what it is now.

Happy,happy days indeed!!!

• 7 months later...

I remember 'Dils' Hendry and the rest of that Thistle team well.George Herd I believe ,played while he was stationed either at Fort George or the Cameron Barracks.He went on to play for Clyde who were at the same level as Celtic and Rangers in those days and boasted some International players in the side. I believe George came very close to receiving a full Scottish cap as a tricky and traditional right winger.