Rossco versus St Mirren

dumpmaster

Guest caleycallum

haha I'd love to see a saints fan try and take Tokley, then they'd regret ever talking down to him. :015:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Caleylad

My hatred for st mirren is outsurpassing my hatred for county at the minute

for county currently i just feel pity and laugh at the knowledge that most of them will slowy begin sneaking into TC stadium to support there better neighbours within a few seasons. but st midden deserve only hate there scum im excited about love street away next season already and cant wait im praying its first day of the season. we were all singin that song on the bus yesterday in preperation !!

ps itnjnr the pic on P and B an england flag? ive seen the same badge on google images but with a saltire and UJ change it tae that!

My hatred for st mirren is outsurpassing my hatred for county at the minute

for county currently i just feel pity and laugh at the knowledge that most of them will slowy begin sneaking into TC stadium to support there better neighbours within a few seasons. but st midden deserve only hate there scum im excited about love street away next season already and cant wait im praying its first day of the season. we were all singin that song on the bus yesterday in preperation !!

ps itnjnr the pic on P and B an england flag? ive seen the same badge on google images but with a saltire and UJ change it tae that!

Sorry mate no can do, i'm an england fan :004:

I don't mind St Mirren. If an opposition player (effectively) ended one of our players careers with a late tackle I don't doubt htat we'd be raging about it too. I think some St Mirren fans have taken the Tokely-hate to a bit of an extreme though.

I think some St Mirren fans have taken the Tokely-hate to a bit of an extreme though.

Just a tad

Going on about his personal life is not on... I'd love to see that Pompey say all that rubbish Tokely's face, all these internet hardmen! :008: :008: :008:

Pompey is the biggest wind up merchant on there. I mind when he made some claim about a Falkirk guy taking drugs or something and Ruggy was asking him to back up his claims and he kept avoiding the question! laugh.gif

Guest Dram59

The Midden players all surrounded the ref and pressured him, also the North Bank were going mental. We were the wee team with only a couple of hundred fans so he took the easy way out and produced an instant red to get them all off his back. Early in the game too.

Tokely wasn't even booked for it, never mind a straight red. Not just the St Mirren fans who don't have a grasp of the facts on this one, then. :017:

IF anyone is making off the pitch threats against Ross they should be reported to the board host.

if ANYONE sings that at Love St I personally think that that is appalling. At the end of the day a man was no longer able to play football at the same level again. There is far too much of this with the Aberdeen fans singing about Durrant and there are others. Shocking even to think about it rivalry or not.

Rant over - tin hat on

Guest Dram59

The originator of this thread asked for some information as to the history that exists between the St Mirren fans and Ross Tokely. So far, he/she has not been well-served.

Here's my take as a Buddie, fwiw.

As mentioned already, Tokely was new to that level of football and was having a tough time of it against Chris Kerr. I do not believe Tokely intended to injure him: Kerr beat him with pace and trickery, and Tokely was just too clumsy and slow. Less forgivably, Tokely did go in above knee-height with his studs up. Regardless of intention, this constitutes both reckless and dangerous play. Once again, youth and inexperience played a part.

Here's where the trouble starts. Tokely, having felled Kerr, walked away as if nothing had happened. I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he may not have realised what he'd done - perhaps the contact didn't seem very heavy. However, once it became apparent that Kerr wasn't getting back up, it really should have tipped him the wink. Kerr subsequently being stretchered off ought also to have rung a few alarm bells.

Tokely then failed ever to inquire after Kerr, something that is regarded as a professional courtesy (some might say common decency) within a game in which fellow pros can injure each other by accident or in the heat of the moment. This is what caused the whole thing to fester. The fact that Kerr was out for the season exacerbated the Saints fans' anger at Tokely's apparent indifference. Kerr was also at this time being tracked by Charlton, who were believed to be about to offer him a move.

Kerr's move never happened. He didn't play again for more than a season, and when he did return, his knee was sufficiently weakened that he could never perform to the same level again. Understandably, fans are going to be unhappy at the player responsible for such an injury, and this anger is only going to be compounded if the perpetrator shows an abject lack of concern or remorse over what he has done.

That's my tuppenceworth on why the Saints fans feel the way they do.

For my part, while I can understand it, I don't think it's healthy and reckon things like this should have a statute of limitations. In my experience, booing opposition hate-figures seldom has any effect other than to spur them on.

In my experience, Buddies and ICT fans have got on fine, which makes it all the more pointless to pick at this particular scab. Singing an amended version of the Durrant song would not be big and most definitely wouldn't be clever. It would not reflect well on what is otherwise a well-liked and respected club. (Though going by your average travelling support at Love St, it's unlikely it would be audible enough for anyone other than the disabled section in front of the Caledonia Stand to hear it. :001: )

Oh, and as for "all of us" thinking we're going to finish top six next season :015: . Talk about selective interpretation! If you look at the forums, the vast majority of Buddies are saying we will be delighted to finish eleventh and consolidate our position.

A sensible post dram69, as you state the vast majority of fans are saddend by the loss of a potentially good footballer to injury, caused by a combination of inexperience and frustration.

I hope this dies down a bit before next season.

Doubt it, the St Mirrens fans will have well over 2 years built-up anger to release by the time we next play them.

It's also one of those stories that over time has grown into mythical proportions down there - many of their fans believe that, in the most horrific challenge in the history of football, Rossco' broke Kerr's leg in 6 places, ripped his heart out, ate his liver, danced on his grave and then laughed all the way back up the A9.

Tokely did go in above knee-height with his studs up. .

What a load of bollocks. This story seems to get exaggerated by st.mirren fans every week. Tokley didnt go studs showing above the knee. If i remember right tokley cought kerr with his knee.

Guest Dram59

Tokely did go in above knee-height with his studs up. .

What a load of *beep*. This story seems to get exaggerated by st.mirren fans every week. Tokley didnt go studs showing above the knee. If i remember right tokley cought kerr with his knee.

You're saying the Buddies fans are exaggerating the ferocity and effects of the challenge, but it seems it cuts both ways: you're well on your way to making out Tokely was an innocent bystander as Kerr negligently injured himself.

I watched the tackle several times in slow-mo before my previous post, because I thought the discussion could do without any more uninformed opinions. Tokely catches Kerr high with his right foot, studs up - not his knee. In Tokely's defence, his eyes are on the ball, but he doesn't pull out once Kerr has whipped the ball away.

An unfortunate incident, with devastating repercussions for the St Mirren player.

Dram - excellent post. I think there is an element of exagerration on the part of supporters from each camp but I am glad to hear that you saw it as 'clumsy' rather than 'malicious' which is what ICT supporters have been saying for years. Ross is a big lumbering player and although 90% of his tackles are first class, there are days when he can appear clumsy, especially if a player is wiping the floor with him (which doesnt happen often these days thankfully).

I do believe that Ross should have apologised to the player, sent a card or visited him in hospital and I dont know if that ever happened. It certainly didnt happen in the immediate aftermath of the tackle and/or at the end of the game.

However, in Ross's defence, I think most would tell you that far from being indifferent, he was quite upset at the whole thing as well. As a (very) young player at the time, I think he may have been told to keep his head down by other, more experienced players and also the management. Even if he wanted to visit the player at hospital on the day, the bus probably came straight back up the road without giving him the opportunity .... As a raw youngster he would not have had much say !!! That doesnt make it right, but it does go a little way to perhaps explaining the immediate aftermath. I have no way of knowing what advice he was subsequently given by others or the club after the event, but most ICT fans you ask, who have met Ross believe him to be a decent guy.

As far as walking away when it happened, I think that is a natural reaction ... you know you have made a bad challenge, you dont want to see the effects of what you have done, you dont want to get involved with numerous other players baying for your blood, and you perhaps think that the ref might not notice it was you if you wander away !!! Again, not right, but understandable.

As for threats of violence towards Ross on other forums, or slanderous comments about his private life, then that is the problem of those who run those boards. If comments such as those appear on here, I will pass the details to the club and let them decide if they want to take any further action. I also do not condone the singing of the song quoted on this thread and will edit the posting if requested to do so.

Its been mentioned by members that they've watched the tackle in slow-mo several times before posting. Is this tackle on the net at all? I would quite like to see it, to see what the fuss is about

Good post Dram and Scotty.

I have friends who are midden fans and have shared pre match beers with travelling midden fans and would hope this type of relationship continues between all fans of both teams next season.

I would be very dissapointed in any of our fans singing ***** like the song posted on here - it is not on. Our relationship with opposition fans is good lets keep it that way.

As for the comments giving it 'if I ever met him...' - Somehow I don't think they'd be so hard when not hiding behind a computer and looking up at Rossco and I doubt he's losing much sleep over it.

Finally for what little it's worth, I wasn't at that game but have watched Rossco play hundreds of times for ICT - he does not go out to deliberatly hurt opposition players.

One really has to understand the mentality of Pie and Bovril. My post was a pure wind up and was'nt even intended to drag up the Kerr situation. Most of the posts are feckin wind ups with a few serious biters along the way. The craic with Buddies like St Sid and Captain Sensible used to be ace in the old SFL forum. We will still have a feckin good drink with them but look out fer a few more IHE wind ups with ma Ross "Cafu" Tokely avatar...and the ICT digs are coming fast and furious already.

Pie and Bovril is going to be great fun next season. I reckon we could replace the Bairns as the Buddie baiters. :021: :021:

Glad to see the sick chant about injured players removed, I was one of the people who asked for this to be removed. Keep that nonsense for other web sites, there is no place for it on here. How can we criticise St Mirren fans when some of our own fans are spouting rubbish.

I have never seen the original incident, but no way is Rossco the villain he is being made out to be by some of the Paisley fans on P&B, quite frankly, some of the stuff written on there is liabelous. This name calling should be stopped as it is doing nobody any favours, especially the thugs threatening Rossco.