Scotland game at Kingsmills Park

BornCaley

Hey

I remember attending at Scotland youth team or B team game at Kingsmills Park in the 80's. I cant remember who we played or the score. Does any Thistle fan know any information about the game...score, date, players names etc.

ps i remember wearing my Caley scarf that night....the scamp that i was

Chris

There was a game at Kingsmills in the spring of 1978 when a Highland League select played a Scotland XI made up of players on the fringes of the Scotland squad due to go to Argentina.  Think I still have the programme somewhere.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Highland League V Scottish FA X1 on the 19/4/78 at Kingsmill Park Inverness, whilst billed as an SFA X1 it was more of a League X1 as no anglos were in the team Celtic 4 players,Kilmarnock,St Mirren,Dundee Utd, and Aberdeen 2 each, Rangers, Motherwell and Hearts each supplied one each. Ally McLeod was in charge of the side. (Source: www.scottishleague.net)

I remember going to it but it does now seem a long time ago.... :rotflmao:

It does but humping Buckie 5-0 in the Qualifying Cup Final still seems like yesterday....

The club reached the Qualifying Cup final at Boroughbriggs in 1980 but, amid unfortunate crowd scenes, which occurred as a result of ineffective stewarding, the side was soundly drubbed 5-0 by Inverness Thistle. (source: Buckie Thistle Club History) :rotflmao:

Highland League V Scottish FA X1 on the 19/4/78 at Kingsmill Park Inverness, whilst billed as an SFA X1 it was more of a League X1 as no anglos were in the team Celtic 4 players,Kilmarnock,St Mirren,Dundee Utd, and Aberdeen 2 each, Rangers, Motherwell and Hearts each supplied one each. Ally McLeod was in charge of the side. (Source: www.scottishleague.net)

This sounds like it. I know i said 80's but late 70's could be the actual time

I remember that match as well, it was billed as something of a warm up for the home based Scotland players prior to the Argentina World Cup.

However, there was also a represtative match; either at B level oe under 21/23 level against Scandanavian opposition a couple of seasons later.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also came across the programme for this game this evening....

The Highland squad was (Starting XI in bold):

Bobby Gray (Keith)

Billy Macdonald (Caledonian)

Roshie Fraser (Inv. Thistle)

Ian Bruce (Buckie Thistle)

Dave Cochrane (Nairn County)

Doug Considine (Huntly)

Robbie Giles (Ross County)

Gordon Buchan (Elgin City)

Charlie Duncan (Peterhead)

Willie MacDonald (Buckie Thistle)

Peter Corbett (Caledonian)

Ian Wilson (Elgin City)

Billy Urquhart (Caledonian)

Jim MacKay (Ross County)

Ray MacKintosh (Caledonian)

Donald MacKay (Brora Rangers)

Louis Duncan (Keith)

Scotland XI Squad:

Jim Stewart (Kilmarnock)

Bobby Clark (Aberdeen)

Alan Sneddon (Celtic)

Roy Aitken (Celtic)

Roddy McDonald (Celtic)

Gregor Stevens (Motherwell)

Paul Hegarty (Dundee Utd)

Tony Fitzpatrick (St. Mirren)

Eamon Bannon (Hearts)

Bobby Russel (Rangers)

Davie Provan (Kilmarnock)

Graeme Payne (Dundee Utd)

Frank McGarvey (St. Mirren)

George McLuskey (Celtic)

John McMaster (Aberdeen)

some of whom were also in the squad to go to Argentina....

Even the programme got into the hysteria of the day and after listing all of Scotland's group matches finished the item with BUENOS AIRES, June 25th Scotland v ???? - only if.... :thumb04:

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back