Intertoto back on??

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sam

I would have thought he might be referring to the Fair Play system... would we not get an extra Uefa / Intertoto place perhaps depending on our position in these tables?

Alternatively, if the Intertoto Cup is short of teams, then spare places might be awarded to higher ranking leagues, and we might be one of them.

Also, if Tony Mowbray goes to Middlesborough (assuming I haven't missed an announcement about that job one way or the other!) would the new manager want to enter it?

Is competition not an excellent way of preparing for the new season? When this competition was first mentioned it was suggested that there may be a second spot for Scotland. Something to do with Portugese teams not entering.

There was some suggestion a while back that if certain countries did not put a representative forward then other countries might get two if two clubs were up for it.

Thanks Caley D. Everyone seems surprised by this revelation, but it has always been the case. There should be at least one extra place now and a couple of extra places at the 2nd round stage, which is where we were entering anyway. So not dead in the water yet.

Taken from Teletext

Inverness Caley have been told there is a chance they can enter the Intertoto cup, but they have to wait till June 5 to find out. UEFA have told the SFA the they are the first stand-by for an Intertoto place should a club withdraw or reach the UEFA Cup instead.

But Charlie Christie says his team needs to know within seven days if they are in the Intertoto cup.

So it looks like it might be on, but we'd have to play a first round tie on June 17th

I'm really not sure if getting into the Intertoto Cup this year would be a good thing.

I can see it having a big impact on pre-season training and as it is we don't have the biggest squad anyway.

I still think our priority should be SPL survival with a Top 6 finish and decent cup runs as the goal.

You just need to look at Everton and how badly European foortball affected there season and league form

The bit that interests me is:

the first stand-by for an Intertoto place .... or reach the UEFA Cup instead.

To me this implies that one (or more) team(s) somewhere in Europe have applied for an intertoto place, however their league/cup season has not yet finished yet AND this club is still in with a shout of a UEFA place proper through either a cup final appearance or league placing AND that nation has no other intertoto applicants.

Who is this team? So we can start supporting them! :021:

jj

Theres a short history of the Intertoto from a German perspective here http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story...ope&cc=5739.

Current fixture list can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Intertoto_Cup_2006

I guess where the country name is listed (instead of a team name) the team is not yet confirmed/decided.

It seemed to work for Villareal.

Plus, if its good enough for Juventus..