The BBs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah.....and we always thought the BBs were a bunch of Pansies? :rotflmao:

They still are :thumb04:.

Funny we always thought the Scouts were. Certainly in Dalneigh.

CB is right about John Beaton, he did a lot of work with us at the footie, not least in that old hut, now one where the 5-a-sides would go on for hours and hours. Amongst the luminaries there were Stuart Munro, father of Granty; John Rae, who I think played for Caley; Iain Clark, who I remember beating me 21-0 at badminton, and a few others.

Mr Howie was the boss and we went to Rev McIntyre's when we were threatened with being thrown out if we didnt.

Great training, not quite sure for what though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was in the good ol' 2nd!

Ronaldo,

I was in the 2nd. Down at Ness Church as I remember.

I was in the Cubs originally and due to go up into the Scouts. My Father took one look at the Scoutmaster on the night we were supposed to join the Scouts and we were out of there within 2 minutes flat. Four of my friends also moved out of the same troop and moved to the BBs.

I was in the Cubs originally and due to go up into the Scouts. My Father took one look at the Scoutmaster on the night we were supposed to join the Scouts and we were out of there within 2 minutes flat. Four of my friends also moved out of the same troop and moved to the BBs.

Go on Culduthel.... tell us more!!!!

Maybe some of the older stagers could help me with this one since it goes back to an era (and before) when I was very young. I think at one point in the early 60s and back into the 50s, the Inverness BBs had officers nicknamed Feetums and Teetums. Feetums, I think, was the Peter MacGregor, Captain of the 1st Company and manager of John Colliers gents' outfitters. He got the name because he had bad feet and didn't walk very comfortably. I'm a bit hazier on Teetums, although I'm sure his problem (predictably) was his eyes. I have a vague recollection he may have been captain of the 6th, 7th or 8th companies, which of course were based consecutively along the west bank of the Ness, but I'm not sure. Any takers?

Go on Culduthel.... tell us more!!!!

Maybe some of the older stagers could help me with this one since it goes back to an era (and before) when I was very young. I think at one point in the early 60s and back into the 50s, the Inverness BBs had officers nicknamed Feetums and Teetums. Feetums, I think, was the Peter MacGregor, Captain of the 1st Company and manager of John Colliers gents' outfitters. He got the name because he had bad feet and didn't walk very comfortably. I'm a bit hazier on Teetums, although I'm sure his problem (predictably) was his eyes. I have a vague recollection he may have been captain of the 6th, 7th or 8th companies, which of course were based consecutively along the west bank of the Ness, but I'm not sure. Any takers?

I worry about your memories chas, my demensure is relaxed but I do remember my Father taking my big brother to Colliers for his first suit , I was dragged along and your post reminded me, I seem to remember he had a slight smattering of Halitosis as well .. you can correct my spelling if you wish

I worry about your memories chas, my demensure is relaxed but I do remember my Father taking my big brother to Colliers for his first suit , I was dragged along and your post reminded me, I seem to remember he had a slight smattering of Halitosis as well .. you can correct my spelling if you wish

OK, maybe I'd better. It's "dementia" not "demensure". "Halitosis" is correct though!

OK, maybe I'd better. It's "dementia" not "demensure". "Halitosis" is correct though!

Oh *um well one out of two!!!

Sorry Jock about your age and all. No need to shout at me though > I am not deaf, just getting there gradually.

I have been in Hibernation and woke up to get a drink of water from the icy lake.

So now you are OVER 80..eh? That was a shock when I woke up and remembered I had forgotten to get back to you last June.

Goodness JOCK--you are getting old. LOL

Anyway, happy New Year Watch out for Sun stroke in a few months or so.

Scarlet :rotflmao:

Sorry Jock about your age and all. No need to shout at me though > I am not deaf, just getting there gradually.

I have been in Hibernation and woke up to get a drink of water from the icy lake.

So now you are OVER 80..eh? That was a shock when I woke up and remembered I had forgotten to get back to you last June.

Goodness JOCK--you are getting old. LOL

Anyway, happy New Year Watch out for Sun stroke in a few months or so.

Scarlet :rotflmao:

Had to go to Local theatre this morning, to find my show business wife, and it reminded me of the Old Empire theatre, ET John Worth

Does anyone here remember the BB shows, forget the club swinging , and the dreaded PE, the 3rd weren't much better than the 2nd, as I remember.

There were some good turns I seem to remember a Captain of the Fifth was rather showbusinessy, rather wasted I thought, I remember a sketch where they pretended, they were the Town Council they had a map and one said to the other where can we dig up and cause most disruption today.

Anyone remember??

My memories of the BB Concert in the Empire was the skit showing the operating theatre at work!

A bright light behind the actors allowed the audience to see the operation, silhouetted, through a flimsy curtain.

The fun was the cutting off of limbs by the surgeon- oh, no, mistake! Then sewing them back on but back to front. We were rolling in the aisles as the back to front limbs were flapped around, childish I realise but back in those days we were children and not the grown up teenagers we seem to have now, that find it all 'dead boring'!

My memories of the BB Concert in the Empire was the skit showing the operating theatre at work!

A bright light behind the actors allowed the audience to see the operation, silhouetted, through a flimsy curtain.

The fun was the cutting off of limbs by the surgeon- oh, no, mistake! Then sewing them back on but back to front. We were rolling in the aisles as the back to front limbs were flapped around, childish I realise but back in those days we were children and not the grown up teenagers we seem to have now, that find it all 'dead boring'!

I do remember that as well, and you are right re' the "good old days " innocent but good fun

I was in the 8th (West) in the 60's - Captain Bill MacDonald, Herb MacDonald, Gordy Munro (gordy bus) Bruce Shaw (ex cop), Sandy Coutts. Good craic in those days, good football team, good camps at Daviot, Carrbridge, Dalguise. Met reglar Tuesdays, Fridays and unfortunately Sundays.

OBTW Jackie Sutherland (former captain of 7th) looks the same today as he looked in the 60's!

Edited by caleyboy

I was in the 8th (West) in the 60's - Captain Bill MacDonald, Herb MacDonald, Gordy Munro (gordy bus) Bruce Shaw (ex cop), Sandy Coutts. Good craic in those days, good football team, good camps at Daviot, Carrbridge, Dalguise. Met reglar Tuesdays, Fridays and unfortunately Sundays.

OBTW Jackie Sutherland (former captain of 7th) looks the same today as he looked in the 60's!

Jackie is still on the go, minding the tunnel door at the Caledonian Stadium at home games with his "assistants" from the under 13s (who do all the door opening on his behalf). I have a chat with him at every game and indeed he doesn't look all that different from years ago!

My father, who was Captain of the 1st Company in the late 60s and early 70s, was very much involved in setting up the arrangement to go to Dalguise. I think the first Dalguise camp was in 1966 and that was the only one I attended there although I don't know how long it continued after that. I have to say I prefered Carrbridge and the two worthies in the bell tent Hugh and Rod were far better cooks.

I remember Bill MacDonald and Herb MacDonald of the 8th very well and of course Gordy Bus is still a regular at the Stadium too, as well as in the Social Club post match.

Two memories of travelling out the A9 to camp at Carrbridge.... at last finding where the Soldier's Head was and the chants of "Gordy Bus...clap, clap...Gordy Bus.... clap clap..."

• 1 month later...

I was in the 8th as well and I always looked forward to the weekends at Daviot. Tommy Ross arranged them as he was related to the Ross's who own the quarry. Some of stunts we got up to then would probably get us locked up today. One I remember is a night attack on a scout camp a few miles away. Nothing more than giving them a fright at 3 in the morning then letting a few tyres down so that they would not be able to follow us back to our camp. caleyboy one name you missed out on your list was Norman Miller who was always a great organiser of the fun and games. One thing I would disagree with you on was the footie team I always remember them as been rubbish but it was along time ago and my memory aint what it used to be.

There was a Bruce Shaw in my class in in the High School, I believe he stayed in theDochfour Dr./ Columba Rd. area, I lost touch with him after leaving School and did'nt know if he joined the Police. The Bruce I knew was a very strong swimmer and competed in School Galas and local swim meets.

There was a Bruce Shaw in my class in in the High School, I believe he stayed in theDochfour Dr./ Columba Rd. area, I lost touch with him after leaving School and did'nt know if he joined the Police. The Bruce I knew was a very strong swimmer and competed in School Galas and local swim meets.

Yes he was a big lump of a guy and he lived on Dochfour Drive and before that on Bruce Avenue. I think he was driving a taxi after that.

I gather Lamont Graham, or "Scoobies" (formerly captain of the 5th company) died last month.

Anyone know what age he was?

I would guess Scoobs would have been in his late 70s, maybe 80. I certainly remember him as a fairly young Captain of the 5th Company in the 60s although even at that his lack of hair maybe made him look older than he was. He was also 5th Company "old boy" Billy Urquhart's father in law.

I remember in the late 50's, thats 1950's not my 50's, we came up against the favourites to win the cup, at football - either the 7th or 8th( we were the wee fourth, totally unfancied)

They had Pops the prefect from the high school, I think his name was Hector Morrison, a terrific sprinter, in their midst and I was up against him. I was all arms and legs or maybe knees I should said and I upset the ref and the guy, by catching him in mid flight, down the wing, with the already stated knobbly knees and watch him fly through the air, unaided. The ref unhappy, Pops unhappy but we managed a draw and I lived to tell the tale.

This was in the Caley park and our Captain, Willie MacLeod, barely able to see over the touch line, continued to offer constructive help -"Your bunching, boys!" Well, maybe we were but I don't think the Captain could have seen it, if we were.

The following Saturday night, the replay at the Clach park took place and WE WON!!

We all made for the Highland Chip shop on Eastgate to celebrate, At that time the 4th had a big Culcabock content, before Charles wonders why the Ferry boys went to the other side of town to celebrate!

The team was made up of brothers - Holme, Allan and MacDonald.

What a super memory to have.

our Captain, Willie MacLeod, barely able to see over the touch line, continued to offer constructive help -"Your bunching, boys!" Well, maybe we were but I don't think the Captain could have seen it, if we were.

It must have been Willie MacLeod who was known as "Teetums" then? These were the legendary days of the late 50s and (as I just remember) the early 60s when the Inverness BBs had both Teetums and Feetums.

Indeed the Inverness Battalion was full of legends or guys who became legends... Gordy Bus, Scoobies, Rodwill, Peter Home, Jackie Sutherland, John Beaton to mention but a few.

our Captain, Willie MacLeod, barely able to see over the touch line, continued to offer constructive help -"Your bunching, boys!" Well, maybe we were but I don't think the Captain could have seen it, if we were.

It must have been Willie MacLeod who was known as "Teetums" then? These were the legendary days of the late 50s and (as I just remember) the early 60s when the Inverness BBs had both Teetums and Feetums.

Indeed the Inverness Battalion was full of legends or guys who became legends... Gordy Bus, Scoobies, Rodwill, Peter Home, Jackie Sutherland, John Beaton to mention but a few.

Yes, you are correct Willie MacLeod was known as 'Teetums' - why I don't know. He did have jellyjar glasses and maybe it was a reference to him 'teeting' through them. Is 'teeting' an Inverness/ North word? I don't think I have heard it used elsewhere. "Lets teet through the Round window today, children" does not sound quite BBC!

Peter, mentioned above, is still carrying the mantle of Legend as he is still running the Fourth, in very trying circumstances, I understand. Maybe, with your professional hat on Charles, you could do a piece on him before he and the Fourth become memories.

At our recent Church Parade we sang a hymn to a tune composed by Peter called 'The Old High Church' or something similar - the fourth are attached to the Old High Church - so he is a pretty rounded guy.

Yes, you are correct Willie MacLeod was known as 'Teetums' - why I don't know. He did have jellyjar glasses and maybe it was a reference to him 'teeting' through them. Is 'teeting' an Inverness/ North word?

Yes it is. Now that I have been reminded exactly who Teetums was, that is exactly as I remember him.... highly visually challenged..

• 2 months later...

I was in Culloden Coy, Gordon Mackenzie ran the show, played 5 aside all night and had to get some daft card crossed off for sunday school, that you did yourself, then when i was 12 joined the ACF