Supporters Trust - Response to Alex MacLeod

CaleyD

I thought I would start a new thread to prevent taking the other too far off topic.

CD, you are an intelligent person and normally very sensible in your postings so why do you find it necessary to use, what is a serious forum, on a serious subject to fire sarcastic remarks at the Supporters Trust. Ive noticed this in other threads and, to be honest, I, for one, am getting p***** of with consistently being reminded of your little public vendetta against the Trust.

Alex, I make no secret of the fact that I have concerns with the way the Trust is being run and my attempts to raise and discuss these issues with members of the Trust Board are being ignored or brushed under the carpet time after time.

My reference to the change of approach was in response to an e.mail I received from a member of the Trust Board regarding the treatment of the fans by the Stewards saying that the Trust would take no action till those involved approached them, however, on this occasion where it involves a subject which will gain them a lot of "credibility" in the eyes of the fans if they can help resolve it they are falling over themselves to help.

When an issue arises and is talked about by so many people, then it makes no sense to ignore it when it effects their "business", whether they have received a formal communication on the issue or otherwise. A refusal to open a discussion on such topics shows that people have something to hide, or have a fear of "rocking the boat" - in short it's Political BS and we saw enough of that from the groups and organisations which were in operation around the time of the merger.

I make no apology for my comments or the fact that they may be annoying you in any way. If the Trust do not wish to sit down and discuss issues people/members raise with them about it's running in an open manner then I will continue to highlight the faults in public until such time as they choose to talk properly or run the trust in conjunction with the Constitution, Rules and Objectives laid out upon it's formation. A lot of people have not joined the Trust because they see it as just another Self Interest Organisation, and so far the Trust have done little to prove them wrong. I chose to join the Trust and have a voice, and as much as some people would like to see me just "go away", that ain't happening. I believe in the concept of the Trust and will continue to fight to see it operating in the way it should be. It's about time we had a Supporters Organisation that was 100% open and operating for ALL fans on ALL issues, regardless of membership status.

If the approach to the issue regarding treatment of disabled fans is a genuine change to the way the Trust will be approaching fans concerns then I welcome it as a positive move in the right direction, however, if it is not a change in policy and simply some kind of PR exercise then it simply serves to highlight a major underlying fault with the Trusts operation - time will tell.

I am perfectly aware that some people think I am on some kind of personal crusade, and I am aware that this train of thought is being encouraged by some who wish to discredit me and my views. That's life and these people are welcome to do their best. I learnt a long time ago what kind of person I am and where my faults lie so fear nothing people have to throw at me. I openly admit I have made statements which were unfounded/misguided in the past and I have apologised where I have made errors. I will no doubt make similar errors again in the future - that's life - but I'm big enough to admit when I get it wrong and move on so if anyone has any kind of personal vendetta, you can be sure it isn't me.

CD, I have no problem with airing views about the Trust if its a thread opened specifically for that purpose. What I do object to is the use of a thread raised on a particular matter to fire snide remarks at one particular member of the Trust committee. DJS is a committee member, and probably the only member who posts on this board. Once or twice you have posted a sarcastic comment right after he has posted something. This says to me that your problem is against the individual and not the Trust as a whole.

I fail to see where you get this idea that I have some kind of personal issue with anyone.

DJS is not the only member of the Trust Board who posts on this forum, but he is the one who seems to act as a mouthpiece for the Trust on here - I have absolutely no issue with that. However, since he is the only one actively working in this capacity from the Trust then it is almost certain that any comments aimed at the trust will follow his posts, I can hardly post about the trust following comments from Board members who don't post on here or don't post on the subject of the Trust.

I certainly have no issue with DJS, in fact it is the exact opposite, and all credit to the guy for keeping people informed. I am pretty certain DJS knows I have no personal issue with him, but if he does, then he knows where I am and he is welcome to raise the point with me at any time.

At the end of the day, all I want to see is a Supporters Trust operating for the benefit of ALL Supporters. Those who choose not to join and grumble in the background are as bad as those who have joined and encourage the culture of self interest. The only way to change things is to be in there and have your say, and that is what I am doing.

CD, you appear to have made a very valid point, concealed somewhat in the historic hurt you show in your writing.

Perhaps this thread could be used to lay out the facts without the hints of 'he said/ she said'.

The content of the approach - the reply and from whom - would open the debate up and perhaps your point could be reinforced on here.

As Alex has stated, using another thread, as you did, only reduces the force of presentation.

It would appear that you have a case and surely with the close season upon us, now is the time for correcting things for next year.

Guest hm_murdock

I do not always agree with CaleyD (OK a lot of the time I do not agree with CaleyD) but he has a valid argument here and you have to respect someone for standing up for what they believe.

I appreciate and have taken on board comments above.

I strongly believe in the concept of the Trust and it is not my intention to discourage people from joining the Trust, it is in fact the exact opposite. I would encourage everyone to join, but to do so for the right reasons. This is not a Supporters Club where the aim is to act for it's members, it is a Supporters Trust who's aims SHOULD be to act for the entire fan-base and community surrounding ICT. If you are not a member, your voice counts for nothing, this was something I pointed out in an article I wrote for this site last year.

http://hmssneck.com/ict/index.php?option=c...&Itemid=175

As much as I appreciate the support of those who have contacted me over this subject and agree with my viewpoint, it does nothing to help if it is not backed by the power of a vote and/or a voice within the Trust.

I do not buy in to the theory that the ICT fans are so selfish as to expect something special in return for their membership fee. I believe that on the whole we have a great bunch of fans and that the mentality of our support has always been one which thrives on bringing everyone together and working as a group to bring new people in to the fold.

When, and only when, the membership is at a sufficient level to be representative of the entire fan-base will we know that the Trust is being operated in the manner in which the supporters desire. If when that time comes the consensus remains that the Trust should operate with an element of Self Interest, I will walk away, but I do not believe that is what people want, so until then I will continue to voice my argument for a Trust operating openly and 100% for the benefit of everyone.

Mistakes have been made by me as well as the Trust Board, but those are behind us and can't be fixed. Whats important is how the Trust and it's members move forward having looked at the mistakes and the concerns raised.

As for citing all issues and preparing a who said what, where, when and why, that is something I will have to mull over whilst giving the Trust Board the opportunity to take me up on my offer of sitting down and discussing the issues in an open and proper manner, preferably at an open Trust meeting where everyone is welcome.

Our Trust is quite unique in that it came to being without a specific agenda. Other trusts were formed as a result of mismanagement or some other reason that jeopordised the existance of the club concerned. Ours came about, in good times, as a means of uniting the members club with the fans and of giving the fans a greater say in the running of ICT.

The trust is new for everyone concerned and given time it will evolve into something useful. CaleyD, amongst others, has a lot of good ideas and very valid points and, I for one, would give my wholehearted support to a lot of his points, as I would to anyone else. The trust board has to be transparent and has to listen to all the gripes and moans as well as listen to the good ideas and suggestions without prejudice and it has to be seen to be acting in the interests of the trust shareholders and the greater community.

It is very difficult to develop a successful structure from a blank sheet of paper, without a lot of erasing and alteration, but it can be done provided everyone acts in an open, honest, calm manner and every avenue of communication is used to its fullest potential.

Lets all put aside the reason for this thread being opened and use it in a positive manner. And lets produce a trust that people want to be members of.

Well lets face it, now we are all friends again, the members club did f-all, really just a pack of dinosaurs in a club designed to keep the dissenters pre-merger happy.

The supporters club also was also like a toothless trout - no disrespect Mairi, so the trust i suppose will be a way of the 'ordinary' supporters a chance to be involved - to an extent, with the club.

This may only be a small extent however with DS in charge we have a very strong person at the helm with whom we can trust the running of the club.