Barry Wilson...My Hero!!

davieB

Barry being interviewed in todays papers....

'Wilson has no desire to be reunited with his former gaffer because he believes that Caley Thistle are a much better side than the Tannadice outfit.

Brewster has been linked with a number of players at his former club and is said to be planning a summer raid on the Caledonian Stadium.

But although veteran Wilson reckons some of his team-mates could have their bank balances boosted by a move to United, he reckons they would be mad to follow Brewster out of the Highlands.

And Wilson revealed this Caley Thistle team sure know how to get as much cash as they can from their generous board of directors.

The former Livingston player said: "The players know the importance of finishing seventh in the SPL table. It's no secret that we are not the highest-paid group of players but the board have been tremendous and have shared the proceeds with us.

"I think the last few weeks have shown that the boys like a pound or two. Bonuses make up a large percentage of our wages at times and that shows in our play."

Wilson then warned former boss Brewster that if he hopes to see any of the Inverness players sporting United colours in the top flight next season he will have to pay handsomely for their services.

He said: "Everyone is under contract at Caley Thistle so if Dundee United want them they will have to come in and pay money.

"This club has been great to people and hasn't stood in the way of players who wanted to move and better themselves financially.

"United would probably fall into that category but I don't think there's any question that Inverness Caley Thistle are a better side than them.

"I'm not trying to be controversial. It's a fact because for the past two seasons we have finished above them in the league.

"This club brings the best out of their players and, no disrespect to United, that's not something that has happened at Tannadice for a number of years.

"I am convinced Craig will change that eventually down there but at the moment the guys are getting their chance here. They play for a good club and they have the support of a fantastic board.

"There was some talk about me leaving but Craig Brewster said to me at the start of the season that if I proved myself here he would extend my contract and he did so in January, just a few weeks before he left.

"Inverness have also said they are going to give me a benefit game next season."

The SPL stats do not lie but Caley Thistle can consider themselves extremely unfortunate not to have finished in the top six.

Christie's men also addressed their SPL split jinx as well in emphatic style. Last season after the split Caley Thistle failed to post a single victory in their closing matches.

Now Wilson wants to improve further next year and finally crack the top six. On a personal level, the player hopes to finish his coaching badges so that when he finally decides to hang up his boots he can move in to the coaching side of the game.

The 34-year-old said: "It speaks volumes for the players that we bounced back from the disappointment of missing out on the top six by winning all our games and keeping five clean sheets.

"We are now established in the SPL and at no stage over the past two years have we looked like being relegated.

"The aim now is to break into the top six. Last year we finished eighth and this time around it was seventh so going one better seems like the natural progression.

"We have a very solid foundation and if the manager gets in the players he wants we will get stronger. I have signed until the end of next season and from now on I'll just be taking things on a yearly basis - until the fat lady sings.

"I feel I have a few years in me yet and as long as I keep looking after myself I can definitely cut it at this level.

"I have been working on my A licence in coaching for the past three years and I'm going to finish it this summer. I have been working with the kids and the reserves at Caley for a while now and I really enjoy it so coaching is something I want to do when my playing days are over."

The Highlanders have thrilled, shocked, entertained and played some silky football with a touch of determination and their style can only be admired.

Three away defeats in one-and-a-half seasons speaks volumes for a proud club - but what about Inverness Caley Thistle taking their first steps on the European stage?

InterToto Cup? They're not having a laugh.'

Better than Dundee Utd Baz???? Couldn't agree more :021:

Legend! What paper was this in? Found this in the Scotsman...

INVERNESS Caley Thistle ended their season on a high with a 1-0 win away to Dunfermline and Barry Wilson then begged the club's stars not to make it their last game for the Highland outfit.

Former boss Craig Brewster is expected to raid his former club over the summer in a bid to turn around his struggling Dundee United side.

And while there is little doubt that the Tannadice club would be in a position to offer the players far more lucrative financial terms, Wilson is hoping that the progress Caley have made over the past couple of seasons will persuade them to stay.

"This club has been great to people in the past and has never stood in anyone's way if they need to move on and better themselves financially.

"United would fall into that category - but I don't think there's any question that we are a better side than them.

"I'm certainly not trying to be controversial. It's a fact that for two seasons we've finished above them.

"This club brings out the best in players and, no disrespect to United, but that has not happened there for a number of years.

"Craig will change that eventually but at the moment the guys are getting their chance here. They play for a good club, are improving all the time and they have the support of a fantastic board."

On Saturday Alan Morgan's low 53rd minute drive was enough to give the visitors a well deserved win and prevented the Pars from ending the season with four consecutive victories.

Indeed Caley should probably have won the game more comfortably than they did with Graham Bayne also blazing over from ten yards after being set-up by former Hearts striker Dennis Wyness.

Wilson added: "It speaks volumes of the players that we bounces back from the disappointment of not getting into the top six."

ALL TOGETHER NOW......

WE'VE GOT BARRY BARRY BARRY WILSON, ON THE WING, ON THE WING

WE'VE GOT BARRY BARRY BARRY WILSON, ON THE WING, ON THE WING

BARRY, OH BARRY WILSON, OH BARRY WILSON, ON THE WING

Sing up!!! :wave03:

And from the Daily star:

Barry Wilson was Craig Brewsters last signing for Inverness - but he reckons his Highland mates shouldn't follow his former boss to Dundee United.

Any close season recruits for the Arabs would strike a better pay deal but Wilson is certain they would be happier staying and playing at their Highland home.

Brewster has targetted Brown, Dods, Black and Dargo for Tannadice.

But veteran Wilson who defied his 34 years to turn in a vintage performance at East End Park, declared, "I dont want that to happen. Everyone hear is under contract, so they would have to pay money.

"Our board have been great in the past if a player had a chance to go and better himself financially - and I think that move would come into that category.

"But theres no question at the minute Inverness are a better side than Dundee United.

"I'm not trying to be controversial, but its a fact. We have finished above them in the league in the past two seasons.

"Financially it may be a better move, but on the football side?"

He added, "this is a club that brings out the best in players.

"No disrespect to Dundee United, but that probably hasn't happened there it the past couple of years.

"Hopefully Craig will change that but at our club people get a chance and that shows in their play.

"The board looks after us well and I cant compliment them highly enough"

Indeed, Wilson revealed the directors have shared out the cash raked in from finishing best of the rest. The highland brigade responded by winning all of their last five games since the split - without losing a single goal. And theres nothing like a few extra quid to help the players on their way.

Wilson added, "the effort from the lads was fantastic to bounce back from the disappointment of not finishing in the top six to make it five wins in a row - and with five clean sheets. "It speaks volumes from the players, who also realise the financial importance of finishing seventh". "Its not a big secret that we are not the highest paid players but we get good incentives from the board. "With every position we increase the board give us a fair share of the money. Our bonuses make up a large percentage of our salary and I think sometimes that shows.

Caley Thistle have climbed the SPL ladder since winning promotion and Wilson is ready to take another step forward.

He said, "We have now established ourselves as a decent Premier League team and at no stage in the past two years have we looked like being relegated. "If we can keep the nucleus of the team and if Charlie gets two or three players in the close season there's no reason why we cant do that".

Wilson will certainly be around in Inverness colours next season, even though his decision to stay in the highlands has been something of a secret.

He explained, "I signed another years contract in january and it will be year to year. "I have no problem with that and I definately think I have a couple of years left yet. The club have been good. I have a year and at the end of the year we will discuss it again.

"They have given me a benifit game as well, so thats something to look forward to at the end of next season.

Guest macgint71

its amazing how at the beginning of the season he was in for some serious flack. I said it then having watched his style that he takes a couple of months to get into it and no doubt he will be the same next season. there is one thing for sure, he's caley through and through and will be a future manager with caley

Guest iainsmiffy

I just hope that Brown, Dodds, Dargo and Black learn from Barry and see that they are at the right place for the next few years (or longer). As Barry said caley are a better team than United any day.