A strange rumour in Aberdeen...

RossP

I'm not normally one to throw rumours about, or believe downright silly ones, but I'll explain.

I've now heard several people in Aberdeen mention Tokely and McBain are signing for the Dons in the summer, as Jimmy Calderwood won't get Maybury and is looking for a grafting midfielder. Some of these people are incredibly trustworthy and have connections with the Dons...

I don't believe for a second that Rossco will sign for the Dons as there seems to be a deep hatred towards him from a few of the Dons players, rightfully reflected back at them from Rossco. Jimmy wouldn't want to rock the dressing room or lose more respect from the fans.

However, McBain? That rumour could have some legs in it. We've got loads of midfielders, and with the signing of Imrie and the potential of Vigurs and Gillespie, perhaps his days are running out at ICT? Is he 33 now? Surprised if they are interested in him, but it makes some sense.

With these rumours, there has been the added interest of Mackie coming to us. Perhaps this is the experienced SPL goalscorer some of our fans have been asking for? I know his scoring record isn't great in the long run, but he has shown that given a run of starts, he will do well. Good pace, good header and (as we've found out) can con the ref for a few pens! Again though, would this rock the dressing room here? I've seen our players have a right go at him when he's been faining injury or diving for the Dons...

Anyways, take all that with a pinch of salt. Something better to talk about than *Insert player released from a club/could they do a job for us? threads*  :rolleyes02:

I hope this rumour ends up at the Evening Express offices. I can't wait to hear what that fat fool Stewart McKimmie thinks of this one. He slated Kirk Broadfoot as a garbage footballer who wouldn't amount to anything. While Broadfoot is not the greatest he has done well for Rangers and shown McKimmie up for the rotund twat that he truly is.

An Aberdeen fan quoted the Rosscoe rumour on P&B a few nights back and the response suggested he wouldn't be a popular signing. My own opinion is that he would fail if he went to a bigger or similarly-sized club - he's got limited ability but is so comfortable and confident at ICT that he has managed to make the step- up every time he's been asked to. Reminds me of Rougvie at Aberdeen, who went to Chelsea in the mid-80s and failed dismally.

That said, I think the type of player Rosscoe is could win over the Dons fans more than McBain. I like McBain, but he isn't what they would expect a "grafting" midfielder to be. He's very tidy, overlaps well and uses the ball intelligently, but he lacks bite in the tackle and went missing far too much last season when we were struggling. A "grafting" midfielder would also be expected to dominate or take hold of a game and I rarely remember him doing that. His age would also count against him with the Dons fans - would suggest a lack of ambition from Tangoman.

It's probably all b0llocks anyway...   

• 4 weeks later...

I hope this rumour ends up at the Evening Express offices. I can't wait to hear what that fat fool Stewart McKimmie thinks of this one. He slated Kirk Broadfoot as a garbage footballer who wouldn't amount to anything. While Broadfoot is not the greatest he has done well for Rangers and shown McKimmie up for the rotund **** that he truly is.

No McKimmie was right in some respects.... Broadfoot is rubbish. Rangers wouldnt have taken him if it wasnt to weaken another team and get someone for nothing.

Rossco would never go to Aberdeen after the way that they treated him when he was a youngster.

From my impecible sources, he has a severe dislike of the club and those currently involved in running the club.

No McKimmie was right in some respects.... Broadfoot is rubbish. Rangers wouldnt have taken him if it wasnt to weaken another team and get someone for nothing.

I seriously doubt Rangers see St. Mirren as that much of a threat they need to deliberately weaken them.

I hear the odd rumour from the Aberdeen camp too but have heard nothing about rosco or roy. When people with strong ties to AFC ask me about certain ICT players,  I tell them that they are sh1te and overrated, as I don't want to tell the opposition how good they are and loose them.

To all those fans who continually slag off the players on this site,well done and keep up the good work, the master plan is working.

I hear the odd rumour from the Aberdeen camp too but have heard nothing about rosco or roy. When people with strong ties to AFC ask me about certain ICT players,  I tell them that they are sh1te and overrated, as I don't want to tell the opposition how good they are and loose them.

To all those fans who continually slag off the players on this site,well done and keep up the good work, the master plan is working.

ha ha, good work!!

our players are all mince eh...... :023:

Reminds me of Rougvie at Aberdeen, who went to Chelsea in the mid-80s and failed dismally

I thought this was pish so I checked. Rougvie played 75 games for Chelsea in the top flight which is about 72 games more than Russell Anderson

Weaken St Mirren? Now that would take real talent  :015: :015: :015: :015:

Broadfoot is pretty limited though - maybe Watty thinks he can 'do a Hutton'.......

Weaken St Mirren? Now that would take real talent  :015: :015: :015: :015:

Broadfoot is pretty limited though - maybe Watty thinks he can 'do a Hutton'.......

I mean in the sense that the old firm sometimes seem to take players for the sake of it, David Fernandez, Chris Killen, Riordan, Gow, and Broadfoot and they never play for the 1st team. Broadfoot being the only one to make an impact at all (shock really)

I very much doubt Broadfoot will ever do a hutton.... he lacks the pace to cover up the other flaws in his game.

Reminds me of Rougvie at Aberdeen, who went to Chelsea in the mid-80s and failed dismally

I thought this was pish so I checked. Rougvie played 75 games for Chelsea in the top flight which is about 72 games more than Russell Anderson

1984-1987

DATE OF BIRTH        Thursday, 24th May 1956

PLACE OF BIRTH        Lochore

DEBUT        Saturday, 25th August 1984 in a 1-1 draw at Arsenal (Aged: 28)

CLUB CAREER        74 League apps, 3 goals

When Chelsea agreed to pay Aberdeen ?150, 000 to sign defender Doug Rougvie in the summer

of 1984, they acquired a player who's CV from his time in Scottish football made impressive

reading. A member of Alex Ferguson's team who had beaten Real Madrid to win the European Cup

Winners Cup a year earlier, 'Big Dougie' had also won two Scottish Championship medals, three

Scottish Cup winners medals and had just been awarded his first international cap. Making his

debut at left-back against Arsenal on the opening day of the 1984-85 season, Rougvie's Chelsea

career got off to an impressive start as he gave a stirring exhibition of tackling against Arsenal's

international stars, one ferocious 50/50 challenge on right-back Viv Anderson, which catapulted

the England man into the air, being met with rapturous applause from the Chelsea following. The

cheery Scotsman quickly attained cult status on the terraces with some solid displays but it was

on his next visit to north London that the flaws in his game became apparent as Tottenham's

speedy winger John Chiedozie tormented him mercilessly, exposing in the process a lack of pace

and a tendency to make impetuous challenges when left exposed. Clearly affected by the

experience, Dougie was dropped from the side three weeks later and when he returned in the

new year he was again the fall guy as he conceded a needless last minute penalty in a League

Cup quarter-final tie at Hillsborough that enabled Sheffield Wednesday to snatch a draw after

Chelsea had fought back from three goals down. A month later Dougie's torrid season took a

further twist as a facial injury received in a clash with Southampton's Joe Jordan left him on the

sidelines for a further six weeks. Although he regained his place in the team as the following

season began, Rougvie never recaptured his best form and was soon dropped again, effectively

being consigned to the role of bit part player thereafter. He did, however, return to the side in

time to play at Wembley against Manchester City in the inaugural Full Members Cup Final. He

scored too, beating his own goalkeeper Steve Francis with a neat header! After another fruitless

season, making just thirteen appearances in 1986-87, Chelsea signed the England under-21

left-back Tony Dorigo and Dougie brought the curtain down on his eventful Chelsea career when

he signed for Brighton the following summer for ?73, 000

Have to say, this doesn't make Rougvie sound like an unqualified success. And Chelsea and the Premier League in 84/85 were a long way short of the standard of today. What's Russell Anderson got to do with it anyway?

The point was not that he was an unqualified success but that he did not fail dismally or did you miss that bit.

I would say he was a qualified success. Chelsea were a top six team and he got a lot of games before being replaced by an England international.