Dods - not the rumour.......

Richard_Fairbrass

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a wee thought here guys, if Dods isn't good enough for Discovery Utd anymore what makes us think he is good enough for us?

I think it's cos were so well known for going back...Wyness, Wilson, Hastings, Proctor, Brewster. And they have all done/did a decent job since returning i suppose...so why can't one of our best renowned defenders come back and do just as good a job as he did?

He also fits the profile of player we desperately need at the back - commanding, powerful in the air and a better judge of balls in the air than McGuire. Wilkie probably performs this role for Utd and Levein would want Kenneth to play the Munro / Kerr role. He never had much pace to begin with, which would be the most likely thing to deteriorate with age, whereas there's no reason his tactical awareness and judgement should have deteriorated.

If true, this a good move IMO.

Will item 4 be a stumbling block? He no doubt signed for utd on a healthy salary which could be as much as 3 times what the other players are on, this puts us right back into the marius scenario.

Is he going to be worth that much? will the other players be pi55ed off as the were reported to be after Marius signed?

Good point Rich,

My thought are that although having dareren Dodds in our strarting line up for the next game might not be too bad an idea, what affect will it have on all the other up and coming defenders? Postive, hopefully.

In my opinion we need another "Darren Dodds" for sure, but perhaps not the Darren Dodds? In saying htat I would have him here, but not if he's going to cost us one penny more than everyone else is being paid.

Don't forget he's another year older too, as someone else has pointed out.

Is this progress, surely that's what we need to be aiming for as a club?

My thought are that although having dareren Dodds in our strarting line up for the next game might not be too bad an idea, what affect will it have on all the other up and coming defenders? Postive, hopefully.

Considering that first choice central defensive pairing seems to be McGuire and Munro with Duff covering for injury/suspension, IF Dods comes back and replaces Duff then its no different .... Dods/Munro central partnership and Duff still hopefully covering :rotflmao:

Any comments about his age are a bit strange considering that we got rid of Dods then tried to offer Lee Bullen (36 at the time) a 2 year deal. Dods is only 32 (I think?), he could still be a good defender at 36 IMO.

We didn't really get rid of him though - he left at the end of his contract.

Guest birdog

Back page of the Highland News will have Brewster ruling out any chance of him coming back to us..

Plaes say you are talking about Brewster and not Dods when you say "him"

Towards the ends of season 2005/06 Dods was offered a 1 year extension to his contract which would have taken him through to the end of season 2008 as he still had one year left on his contract at that time. Dods wanted a 2 year extension though, as he saw this as being necessary for him to justify relocating up here on a permanent basis.

The club wouldn't give him the 2 year extension so he requested a transfer at the end of the 05/06 Season, which was rejected by the club, along with paltry offers from Dundee Utd.

Dods then signed a pre-contract with Dundee Utd in January 2007 and left us at the end of the season.

We didn't really get rid of him though - he left at the end of his contract.

I was under the impression that he'd have stayed if we'd have offered him a longer contract. I may well be wrong.

He moved back south for personal reasons.

Guest Mahonio

Was just on Inverness BBC Sport page and it says Dundee United have rejected a bid from Caley for Dods stating that United told Brew that he wasn't for sale.

Where do the papers get their stories from then if Highland News tell us that Brewster says he won't move for Dods!!

Doesn't say that a bid was rejected...or even that one was submitted.

All it says is that Brewster called Levein to make enquiries and Levein has said that Dods still features in his plans.

Once in possession of that knowledge then I think it's reasonable for Brewster to say that he would not be making a move for the player....so there's nothing conflicting as far as I can see.