Russel Brand and Jonathon Ross

Guest couchpotato

Guest couchpotato

I hear they had their names put on the Sach's offenders list.......... :rotflmao:

But seriuosly, huge over reaction or justifiable indignation and offense by the outraged public? I personnally think they both need to be taken to task for any offence caused, as many of these "celebs" think they can say and do what they want without any repucussions, however the 18,000 who belatedly crammed onto the offended bus when only 2 complained after the broadcast need to take a look at thereselves.

I'm guessing that most of the now 20,000+ complainers have never heard of Ross or Brand, but they read about it all in the Daily Mail and were outraged!

To me, their only offence is not being particularly funny or justifying their enormous salaries.

I can't really comment, really dislike the pair (even before this)!! Do my heads in!

What I don't get in this current economic state why Gordon Brown wanted to have his say! Run the country you plank!!

Supposedly, this was pre-recorded so some producer would have had to have decided for it to be aired?? Surely he should get suspended too.

This is just another case to prove to me why I resent paying money to the bbc each month :rotflmao:

Silly comments from two overpaid celebs but woah has this been blown out of all proportion - you know it is bad when MPs are using this to deflect attention from how bad they are at their real jobs (the one's they are paid to do....alledgedly)

Its also turned into a covert PR stunt - some big sums now being banded around for the usual newspaper stories from those offended - I wonder if they will be donating those fees to charity....

Also appears Miss Baillie's career has suddenly been fast-tracked....I guess if you play with fire you can expect to get burnt....but sleeping with Russel Brand what was she thinking of and then admitting it is true.... :rotflmao:

I couldnt believe Jonathan Ross & Russel Brands antics actually made the first item on the news !

Ok so maybe it was offensive but was the reaction no a bit OTT

There's more important stuff going on in the world

As for entertainment value , i really like Jonathan ross ,

I would miss his show if it came off the air.

Russel brand Hmmm

I can't stand Russell Brand and I don't understand how he managed to get a career in the media in the first place given that he can barely string a coherent sentence together half the time. I'm glad he's got his comeuppance. Jonathan Ross is grossly overpaid and I don't find him funny at all. It's been calculated that every licence fee payer has contributed ?1 toward his huge salary. If he goes as well, then good riddance.

Guest Spectre

Ross apparently guards his own privacy very legalistically. He doesn't seem to have much consideration for others'. As what he did was a crime, let the police sort it out. And then sack him. The BBC is a public service broadcaster funded by tax (including the licence fee) and shouldn't be p*ssing away that sort of money one person.

I can't stand Russell Brand and I don't understand how he managed to get a career in the media in the first place given that he can barely string a coherent sentence together half the time. I'm glad he's got his comeuppance. Jonathan Ross is grossly overpaid and I don't find him funny at all. It's been calculated that every licence fee payer has contributed ?1 toward his huge salary. If he goes as well, then good riddance.

I think its each & everyones own personal opinion as to who's funny & who's not

As for being over paid , yes i totally agree , but then arent all celebs on ridiculous money

People who dont like certain celebs know where the OFF button is !

It was only a few years ago when a certain Mr Connolly made a highly offensive remark about one of the hostages in Iraq , now to me that was a whole lot more upsetting & serious .

Was he banished from TV ? NO

Judging by the papers & tv Andrew Sachs Grandaughters career looks like its about to soar & she's milking it for all its worth

So i say get over it , theres worse happened at sea

Edited by Fanoffooty

To do what they did to a 78 year old man is not very funny. I hear Brand has resigned anyway.

No it wasnt nice i agree , but Jonathon Ross has apologised & sent flowers , he knows it was wrong

does it really merit being on the news every day this week & MP's getting involved !

Anyone heard how Andy Murrays getting on ?

The only people with just cause for complaint about Ross and Brand are Sachs and his Granddaughter....everyone else who heard it and were offended should be complaining to the Producers who gave the show the green light because they are the ones that brought it in to the public domain.

Had the show never been aired and the public outcry kicked off, then I'm not sure Sachs would have been too bothered by it himself. Let's not forget that this is a man who played a character in a show which sailed pretty close to the edge in terms of causing racial offence to many people...not only in the stereotypical manner that Manuel was played, but in jokes such as "Don't mention the war" in relation to Germans etc.

Offbeat comedy in the eyes of one person can easily be seen as offensive to another....it happens on TV and Radio every day. If Sachs can partake in the kind of humour which pushes the envelope, then I'm guessing he's not so PC as to be overly offended by the calls from Ross/Brand, even if he never found it funny. TO do so would be a tad hypocritical.

What also gets me is that we've been told that the BBC have received over 20,000 complaints in relation to this. Just how many of those are people complaining about Ross/Brand, and how many are complaints about the reaction to the treatment of Ross/Brand....are those complaints included, are they a separate figure which we've not been told about?

How many of the complaints came about from people who listened to the original show and felt the need to call in.....TWO. Which means that 20,000+ people only felt the need to contact the BBC after it appeared in the papers and their attention was brought to it. Indeed, how many of those people sought out the show to listen to it after they had heard their were complaints and then had the nerve to complain because they didn't like listening to something they knew might offend them? That's like someone telling you that a movie is full of violence and you then going to watch it and complaining because it's full of...eh...violence!!!

Whether you find Ross & Brand funny/entertaining or not...this whole thing is just PC BS gone mad, and then topped off with a fair serving of public and political hysteria.

The only people with just cause for complaint about Ross and Brand are Sachs and his Granddaughter....everyone else who heard it and were offended should be complaining to the Producers who gave the show the green light because they are the ones that brought it in to the public domain.

Had the show never been aired and the public outcry kicked off, then I'm not sure Sachs would have been too bothered by it himself. Let's not forget that this is a man who played a character in a show which sailed pretty close to the edge in terms of causing racial offence to many people...not only in the stereotypical manner that Manuel was played, but in jokes such as "Don't mention the war" in relation to Germans etc.

Offbeat comedy in the eyes of one person can easily be seen as offensive to another....it happens on TV and Radio every day. If Sachs can partake in the kind of humour which pushes the envelope, then I'm guessing he's not so PC as to be overly offended by the calls from Ross/Brand, even if he never found it funny. TO do so would be a tad hypocritical.

What also gets me is that we've been told that the BBC have received over 20,000 complaints in relation to this. Just how many of those are people complaining about Ross/Brand, and how many are complaints about the reaction to the treatment of Ross/Brand....are those complaints included, are they a separate figure which we've not been told about?

How many of the complaints came about from people who listened to the original show and felt the need to call in.....TWO. Which means that 20,000+ people only felt the need to contact the BBC after it appeared in the papers and their attention was brought to it. Indeed, how many of those people sought out the show to listen to it after they had heard their were complaints and then had the nerve to complain because they didn't like listening to something they knew might offend them? That's like someone telling you that a movie is full of violence and you then going to watch it and complaining because it's full of...eh...violence!!!

Whether you find Ross & Brand funny/entertaining or not...this whole thing is just PC BS gone mad, and then topped off with a fair serving of public and political hysteria.

:thumb04: :018: :rotflmao: Well said

A 12 week suspension is a light sentence. Should have been sacked and saved us all ?6m p.a. How many programmes could Auntie make for that in a year ? The BBC needs to get a grip - it lives in a gravy train world of media luvvies far removed from the real world.

A 12 week suspension is a light sentence. Should have been sacked and saved us all ?6m p.a. How many programmes could Auntie make for that in a year ? The BBC needs to get a grip - it lives in a gravy train world of media luvvies far removed from the real world.

My feelings exactly!

Ditto.... to the previous comments - whenever Wossie is on, either TV or Radio, the off switch is engaged in my household and as for Brand, I find him totally unfunny and any programme he is on is likewise switched Off. Both are overpaid, under-talented nobodies who should never be on BBCTV again or the licence payers should complain in numbers. In my view Ross has been overpaid for years and the time has now come - OUT if he doesn't like the current climate. Goodbye to both and BBC, bring in some worthwhile talent, please. (At a much lesser salary!!!!).

Brand..........not in the least funny and will never be missed but I see the episode as a practical joke gone wrong.

Ross...........a big guy with an even bigger ego who accepts a large slice of the licence payers cash and who will not be inconvenienced in the slightest by a twelve week suspension.

The BBC....a conglomerate that should not exist at the expense of the licence payer and the tax payer. Let them go and earn their funds in the same way as every other network in the world has to. Once upon a time they were controlled by the government, the people in charge believed in providing entertainment for the masses. Now its fatcat salaries and cheap to make programming. BBC used to be renowned for sports coverage. Football, motor racing, minority sports. They were all shown on a saturday afternoon. Whats it now? Some old movie.

If I had control I'd pull the plug on them all.

Fair enough Brand is an a$$ & Ross overpaid but it was a schoolboy prank that should never have happened. The problem that needed to be solved was more the fact that it was recorded and then aired. The producer should be the person taken to task not the ross/brand pair.

Guest Spectre

If you or I or anyone else behaved like this whilst at work (making unlawful abusive phone calls), they would expect similar sanctions or worse. Just because they are 'celebrities' does not put them above the law. This would be the case whether or not the material was broadcast.