Jack McConnell - top bloke?

Row S

I say well done to the First Minister for saying he'll not be supporting Ingerland at the World Cup. It's a shame such a fuss is being made of it in Parliament and the media as the FM's view is in line with that of most of us Scots football fans. :clapping02:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kingkojak

id agree with nude that he is a vote grabbing wee bistard. hes not as bad as THAT feckin Mars ad campaign tho!

C'mon Trinidad and Tobago! :021:

How was his statement in any way Racist? All he said was that football was about just that - Football, and all this political BS about us being expected to follow England just because they are our neighbours was nonsense.

Your statement is a prime example of the arrogance of many English Fans.

How was his statement in any way Racist? All he said was that football was about just that - Football, and all this political BS about us being expected to follow England just because they are our neighbours was nonsense.

Your statement is a prime example of the arrogance of many English Fans.

when scotland play though i don't see it fit to go out of my way to not support them. Scotland playing someone doesn't effect what i want the outcome of the match to be as it ain't my choosen country to support so the match isn't of any intrest to me, where as JM clearly goes out of his way not to support England.

No - it's pure arrogance on the part of the England fans that they automatically expect everyone to support them. What is even worse is the fact that you buy in to all the English media hype and then regurgitate it like you actually have some kind of clue as to why so many Scots choose not to support England.

The truth of the matter is that it's exactly this kind of arrogance that has encouraged so many Scots to follow other teams.

Got to agree with that CD. Although I'd like to see my country do well its the media hype that really gets my goat too. There are times I want my country to screw it up just to see those media types crawl back under their shells.

Guest Bonzo

McConnel's a small minded and ignorant little t%at.

In fact, i'm on my way round to bite his bigoted ***!

I'm Scottish. I am also British.

I will be supporting England at the World Cup.

England are the only British team in the competition.

I won't be flying the Saint George Cross .... but I will be cheering on the Team.

They have a real chance, and I will be delighted if they win.

Good on you Bonzo. Speaking for myself, with my young upbringing in Scotland in the 40s/50s, I still find it difficult to support England in any competition, even if Scotland are not involved, despite the fact that I've lived in England since the mid 60s. Nevertheless, I think your attitude is probably the right one, and I admire you for coming out and saying it, despite the tirade of abuse you will undoubtedly invite.

you buy in to all the English media hype and then regurgitate it like you actually have some kind of clue as to why so many Scots choose not to support England.

The truth of the matter is that it's exactly this kind of arrogance that has encouraged so many Scots to follow other teams.

I think the 'arrogance' of the English media needs to be put into some kind of context. In Scotland we get a lot of exposure to the English media in general, so there's going to be a lot of content that's not aimed at us. And the reason 1966 is mentioned so often is simply because they won it. It's the same reason Celtic fans are justly proud of 1967.

Now, if Rangers fans were forced to endure frequent broadcasts of Celtic TV, they'd probably feel exactly the same way about Celtics' 'arrogance' as we do about England. But, to be honest, I know that if the Caley Jags had won in Europe (bear with me here!) or if Scotland had once won the World Cup (nearly done!), then I'd probably be banging on about it constantly too. Both are pretty special achievements.

Bonzo - it has nothing to do with being British or considering ones self as British. My sentiments are aimed directly at English Football. Also, for your information, Trinidad and Tobago are a member of the British Commonwealth, so using your own logic of "Britishness" it should be perfectly acceptable for the First Minister or any other Scot to support them during the World Cup.

NATN - it has nothing to do with 1966 and everything to do with the attitude that they think they have a god given right to win the World Cup and every other freaking tournament or match they play in. They have already arranged their World Cup Victory party FFS, and their hasn't been a ball kicked yet.

I don't give a flying feck who does or does not support England or any other country during the World Cup, but it does annoy the chit out of me when people think it is perfectly OK to tell me who I should or should not be supporting.

Im with you Caley D, you've made very good points.

I will not be supporting England, why should I? Because we're neighbours? Would English fans support France if they were in the World Cup and England weren't? It is pure arrogance to expect Scottish fams to support England, and well done Jack McConnel for being so honest, even though I despise his lousy political party.

McConnel's a small minded and ignorant little t%at.

In fact, i'm on my way round to bite his bigoted ***!

I'm Scottish. I am also British.

I will be supporting England at the World Cup.

England are the only British team in the competition.

I won't be flying the Saint George Cross .... but I will be cheering on the Team.

They have a real chance, and I will be delighted if they win.

:021:

Jnr? Taking you a while to lock up your double standards isn't it?

I'll just sit here and support Tim Henman in the French Open while I await your considered reply :001:

No i wouldn't support France. If you had read my post further up you would see i say i don't take any intrest in Scotlands games because i don't support them. But JM clearly takes intrest in seeing England lose, where as i couldn't care less what other countrys do. I support England and don't go out of my way to not support other countrys becuase they are of no intrest to me.

The reason it took me a while to answer your question becuase in your first post you never addressed it to me in particular and i hadn't been signed in since you posted it again directly at me :004: .