Baron Taylor's Street in 1971

Glen Mhor

I came across an old book The Royal Burgh of Inverness - Street and Householders' Directory under the stairs which is quite fascinating. I know Baron Taylor's Street has been mentioned in previous threads but it lists the following businesses:-

Bunny's Bar

15/21 D Davidson, plumbing and heating engineer

23 Wm Taylor & Sons, slaters

2 DHSS

20 Health Food Store

22/24 Nairn's, photographic dealers

24 B Gordon, optician

28 J E MacDonald, kiltmakers and tartans

30 Inverness Slaters Ltd

32 Macfloors

34 Inverness Thistle Football Clubrooms

34/36 Hays of Inverness

40 Emslie & Simpson, electrical appliances

44 Nursery World

50 Eagle Bar

52/54 Hugh MacKenzie & Son, bootmakers

No really. There was a stairlift for the inebriated !! :thumb04:

That's not correct. That sairlift was to help the Jags players to get in and out of the Social Club. :rotflmao:

And here was me think all these years they actually could fly when they passed me on the stairs

• 1 month later...

I remember Nairns, and Emslie and Simpson's. As a young lad, I worked behind the counter one Xmas, when a lady came in and aked for a ladyshave. Embarassed, I could not look her in the face and told her, without checking, that I thought we didnt have one. Can you check? she asked, no, I said desperate to get rid of her, I am sure we didnt have one. She left to go to Boots, I wiped the sweat of my brow.