Jump to content
  • Signup for more content

    Our main forums are visible to guests along with a few other features. Login to access more content.

  • tm4tj

    Celtic 3-0 Inverness CT - SPL

    Rudderless Caley Jags sunk at Parkhead


    With a new manager still not in place, John Docherty and Charlie Christie took control of the side and they sent out the same team that took a point the previous Saturday at East End Park. 

    Mark Brown was fit enough to play and Celtic welcomed back Chris Sutton into the side as they eased the pain of their midweek CIS Cup defeat to Rangers with a comfortable win over Inverness.

    ICT found themselves a goal down after three minutes when Aiden McGeady curled in a cross from the left and Chris Sutton rose high to head into the net. It was not looking good at that stage as the home side pressed to increase their lead but it was ICT who gradually clawed their way back into the game and had a good amount of possession, especially in the midfield area. 

    Graham Bayne was once again a tireless worker and he neatly set up Barry Wilson but a good tackle by Neil Lennon thwarted the danger. The play swung to the other end and Mark Brown pulled off a tremendous save from Henri Camara before Juanjo was fouled and Roy McBain's kick went inches over the bar. 

    Half Time: 1-0

    The home side increased their lead in 52 minutes with the first of a double from John Hartson. Jackie McNamara swung over a low cross from the right and Hartson swept the ball into the net. ICT rallied well and Magnus Hedman produced an excellent save from a 30 yard effort by Barry Wilson. Hedman later denied ICT skipper Stuart Golabek by turning his fierce effort round the post. 

    Liam Fox replaced Juanjo and he was immediately involved in some fine passing with Russell Duncan and Roy McBain. ICT were then given a great chance to get back into the game in 73 minutes when Stanislav Varga brought Richie Hart crashing to the ground. A stonewall penalty but Wilson's weak effort was easily saved by Hedman. 

    To rub salt into the wound, Celtic increased their lead five minutes later with another effort from Hartson. McGeady passed to Jackie McNamara who moved in on goal. Mark Brown narrowed the angle but McNamara managed to squeeze the ball goalwards and it was eventually put into the net by Hartson. 

    Full Time: 3-0

    A double substitution by both teams was made but by that time the game was lost for Caley Thistle and Celtic ran out easy winners.

    The goals...



    Celtic: 3 (Sutton 3, Hartson 53, 77)

    Team: Hedman; McNamara, Varga, Balde, Valgaeren, McGeady, Lennon, Sutton (Pearson 80), 

    Thompson, Camara (Juninho 80), Hartson.
    Subs not used: Marshall, Sylla, Lawson, Quinn - Booked: McNamara (26), Varga (74).

    Inverness CT: 0 

    Team: Brown; Tokely, Dods, Golabek, Munro, McBain, Hart (Keogh 80), Duncan,

    Wilson (Prunty 80) Juanjo (Fox 67), Bayne.
    Subs not used: Fraser; McCaffrey, Thomson, Black.

    Referee:- Hugh Dallas. Attendance: 56594

    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    There are no comments to display.

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. : Terms of Use : Guidelines : Privacy Policy